• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

The Librarian said:
Well, if you joined the military, and you are in a public place, you'd better get used to saluting if you're in uniform. That's the way it is.

Telling the BComd, for example, in the Tim Horton's parking lot, that you neglected to salute his commission because you "just aren't comfortable with it" WILL NOT fly.

Word up.  ;)

No I meant...in civilian clothing....

I do not have a problem saluting someone if im in uniform...or I did not have trouble being saluted if I was in uniform....I is totaly normal to do so.

I undertand and have the upmost repsect for the salute and rules... I missed expressed my self sorry.

airmich said:
Personally, I only do the checking of arms (when I'm in civvies) to an officer when I am on the base/dockyard.  In a public place, I simply acknowledge them with a sir or ma'am.

Where were you told to check your arms when meeting an officer?  I've looked for an instruction or explanation without success, and had put the practice down to a persistent "cadetism".  This is the first time I've heard of a CF member doing it.  I'm interested in finding out where it comes from.

Neill McKay said:
Where were you told to check your arms when meeting an officer?  I've looked for an instruction or explanation without success, and had put the practice down to a persistent "cadetism".  This is the first time I've heard of a CF member doing it.  I'm interested in finding out where it comes from.

Funny how you have never heard of this before.  I am positive that you did indeed get taught this and subsequently have forgotten it. 

It reallly is odd that you don't know this.  ???

Neill McKay said:

This too is normal. If I am in civvies, and I come across an Officer who is either in uniform, or out of it (if I recognize him/her), this is a proper and expected practice of respect.

Ever wonder just exactly why it was that we stare at all those pictures of the MNDs, CDS, COs etc etc. So you remember them, recognize them, and pay the proper respects when you run into them, in or out of uniforms.

Hey, I remember in Cornwallis, Basic Trg, being flashed pictures of all these guys and having to name off who they were. I couldn't remember Gen Mason...NOT GOOD!! But, I'm sure that my instructors 'correction of my problem' has ensured that I'd recognize him even today!!

I would not check my arms to an Officer at the Mic Mac Mall...sorry

My 5 years in Petawawa at the Canex for sure.

HFXCrow said:
I would not check my arms to an Officer at the Mic Mac Mall...sorry

Just remember that if one of them ever decides to call you on it. Their commission doesn't magically disappear just because they happen to be in the MicMac Mall, or wherever actually.

Call me on what!!

Check my arms to my CO at the Mic Mac , he would laugh..
;D

HFXCrow said:
Call me on what!!

;D

OK, so are you insinuating that you would do this in Petawawa because you know the Officers there will call you on it if you don't; but that you wouldn't in Halifax because those Officers wouldn't call you on it?

Interesting. Be careful though, I know a whole bunch on Army Officers posted to that location too....

mysteriousmind said:
well It has happened in the past..were a cadet...saw me in a shopping mal..and went standing attention to me...

I do not like it.

Showing respect and courtesy is ok...but to the point of getting to attention in a public place.... sorry...but I am not comfortable with it.  :-\

Now, you see, that just makes me want to do it even more... and louder.  ;D

HFXCrow said:
Quit it your scarin me!

You must have been one of the guys in Stad back during my October visit then:

But perhaps that does explain the look of dread on so many faces as us Army folk made our way up the road in Stad during an LFAA conference to visit Timmies. Never seen so many people remeber that they must have forgot something and have to turn around and go the opposite direction to go get it.  ;D

HFXCrow said:
;D

I wouldn't check my arms while in civvies in civvie world, but I'd certainly politely acknowledge the officer.  That meets the spirit and intent of the Drill Manual.

I agree with Haggis..

I was on tour in October, sorry to disappoint you

HFXCrow said:
I agree with Haggis..

I was on tour in October, sorry to disappoint you

Well funny how that happens eh? The above is contradictory to what you said here:

Tours have nothing to do with it!! Saluting on an Op tour...is a whole 'nother ballgame my friend.

And Haggis, I was referring to us being in uniform and the officer in civvies.

Well....  Being from a hard army background and now being a different trade on an air base I can certainly say that I've shocked a few of our officers by paying "proper" respects in public either in uniform or out.  It's rather odd to see a slightly embarrassed look on their faces as they return the compliments.  Not all of them but some of them.
:salute:

Now that is quite comical.

I remember being 'Army' and saluting an 'Air Force' officer while walking down the sidewalk (two foot wide with 1.5 foot high curb) on CFB Summerside and had a hard time trying to keep a straight face as he looked at me in shock and nearly fell off the sidewalk trying to remember how to salute.

I saluted an officer in a parc outside NDHQ.  She was having lunch and was seated on a bench.  Maybe it she was suprised by the salute or my voice saying "Ma'am!"  but she saluted with her left hand (the right one was holding an awkward looking sandwich and her mouth was full) she also had her headress off for obvious reasons.  I had to smile.  I think she was more in shock realising what just had happened, you could see it on her face the moment her hand went up. ;D

George Wallace said:
Funny how you have never heard of this before.  I am positive that you did indeed get taught this and subsequently have forgotten it. 

It reallly is odd that you don't know this.  ???

Will you show me where in the 201 it says to do such a thing, then?  (Coming to attention while standing is one thing; checking one's arms while walking is quite another.)

Back