• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paying Compliments (Saluting, Verbal Address)

I did read that, but I was rather hoping for an explicit statement that, yes, you sing O Canada when it is played during colours.  Anyway, thanks for the answer, Her Majesty's forces shall delight in my wonderful rendition of O Canada henceforth.

In the Marines, God help you if you don't sing...enthusiastically!!!

Do you have to go to attention everytime you talk to a higher superior? Even if your not on duty?

Thanks alot,

John

depends on the unit you're in, the superior you're addressing, and how much poop you've gotten in lately.

J0HN said:
Do you have to go to attention everytime you talk to a higher superior? Even if your not on duty?

Thanks alot,

John

Depends, if you are on course than yes.  If not then no, at least I never have unless entering an office of thiers.  I have saluted officers when I go to speak to them but other than that I was standing relaxed while I spoke with them.

"Go to attention"...is this a down east thing, like "stay where you're at and I'll come where you're to"?

Here in the west we "come to attention".

Brad Sallows said:
"Go to attention"...is this a down east thing, like "stay where you're at and I'll come where you're to"?

Here in the west we "come to attention".

Its Come to Attention here (as in the east) as well

Semantics aside - the young private asks a good question.

As a member of the Primary Reserve, you are not subject to the CSD when not in uniform or on military property.  Therefore, if you were to encounter a superior while at a movie with friends, it would not be necessary to stomp your feet and adopt the position of attention.  I would not recommend being rude, as your actions will be remembered the next parade night, just be polite and civil.

J0HN said:

Thanks alot,

John

Just a tip, if its to the RSM, I'd highly reccommend it. ;D

FastEddy said:

Just a tip, if its to the RSM, I'd highly reccommend it. ;D
Or anyone with a high degree of accuracy with a pace stick. :D

Semantics aside - the young private asks a good question.

As a member of the Primary Reserve, you are not subject to the CSD when not in uniform or on military property.   Therefore, if you were to encounter a superior while at a movie with friends, it would not be necessary to stomp your feet and adopt the position of attention.   I would not recommend being rude, as your actions will be remembered the next parade night, just be polite and civil.

This sums it up quite nicely.   Coming to attention when off duty is as bad as giving the high five in the field.   You become a sniper check, or garnish the weird looks of those around you.   Being polite and civil is the way to go, as they Will remember you if you are an ass.

hmm what am I saying?? I should have heeded that advice last night!!...Ah Pacino day soirees..

nuff said

dileas

tess

btw, I too say the going to atteniton, not coming.

when in doubt stand at attention.  or do it the PTE OPIE way, lean on doorframes in your office as you stand there and talk to the CO, and then have the Padre come and tell you Pte Opie , only  you  would get away  with leaning on the door frame talking to the LCOL  like that  and  only  you  would do it again.

I was the Pte OPIE and leaned on the door frame talking to the LCOL. Nothing happened to me.
But common manner is come to attention when you know the person outranks you . then wait for direction to stand at ease or stand easy or as you were.

It really all depends on what it is about. If you are casually discussing something with a officer then there isnt much need to stand at attention. The only Officer that would tell you otherwise would be one who has his head to far up his ass or his/her wife/husband isnt putting out! I have done lots of things with a Brig General (Kilby) When I was the CSM of my Army Cadet Corps (2510 RMRang Sicamous B.C) And he didnt like it when I stood at attention to talk to him. So it all depends on who you are talking too, how you are talking, and if you want to do it for the hell of it out of respect then do it.

I would definitely agree that it all depends on the situation & the rank of the individual you're speaking to.  Generally speaking, most officers & sergeant majors are fairly relaxed when not on duty (some even when on duty unless you're the object of their anger)  I see my CO & RSM quite frequently when out and about around Petawawa and Pembroke and for them, they don't expect their troops to come to attention when speaking to them.  I will say it's in your very best interests to use "Sir" when addressing them no matter what the situation though.

I say that if you are working yes come to attention, if you're not then no need to be.  Unless if you enter the office of an officer that is a higher rank. :-\  Not fun but it's life...

Coming to attention is a form of paying a compliment or showing respect.   It is common practice to come to attention, and saluting when wearing headdress, prior to entering any office.   I have had officers, senior to me, pay such compliments prior to entering my office in the past.   Some of these become habits and at times you will see 'military' guys doing it out of habit while in civies.

got jacked at BMQ last weekend.
two of us came up to a group of soldiers, it was dark, unlite, and at 2230. could not see ranks, or even faces!
i pointed out to my higher educated friend, that the one guy looked like a captain i met three weeks earlier. we came up to them, checked arms, and my friend in front started the salute.
part way thru (his hand still coming up) one of the soldiers asked "you don't sulute?" so getting scared, i also saluted.
which i believed that only one of us were to do it. so we got jacked for that as well.

if you are in a group, and an officer comes in, one person calls 'group' and he/she should be the one to salute.
if you are walking, someone, first person, or the closest should do it. others come to attention. but ONLY ONE salutes.
if there are other rules about where and when i don't know, but only one saluting was made very clear on our course.

The highest rank will salute yell "Group!" and the rest will come to attention check there arms.  Or the first person to notice the officer.    This drill squad and class lecture is one of the first you do during basic.  If someone in uniform is asking this question they need to start taking this job seriously and start opening ears and engaging there brain when being taught something. 

However if someone is a civvy,  thats what we do.

You salute to your superior officers, every provincial flag and especially the Canadian flag.

(Edited by Moderator, compliments are not paid to provincial flags.)

Back