• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical

I just rebooked the test for July 20th.  I think failing would look much worse on my record than having to extend.  I just hope the recruiters who were helping me with the process won't be too upset.

Amsdell: Bottom line is, if you don't think you can pass the PT, then don't do it. If you think you can dig down deep and pull of the push ups, then get your butt in there and do it. Even if it means tossing your cookies in the process. It seems that time is the essence for you, so if you think you can do it, go for it. Otherwise don't waste the money and time. It sucks when there are set backs. Keep your chin up and keep plugging away soldier.

Before I posted this I saw your additional post. Work hard on those push ups. You are right failing again would be worse.

Good luck.

Thanks for the kind words, Dakota.  I don't want to be the recruit who either barely scraped by or failed miserably.  I don't think I can handle a "try again later" in relation to something I want this badly.  A few weeks should give me the time to get really prepared and pass, if not with flying colors, then respectably.

Good stuff. Keep that attitude and you will do fine.

All the best to you.

One of the best ways to improve your push ups is topump off as many regular pushups as you can whether thats 50 or 5 whatever. Then imediately do 'girl' pushups, if you did as many regular ones as you can you should be able to do 5-6 more 'girly' ones. This helps you to build the smaller muscles in your chest ( the ones that are probably holding you back). Hope this helps

I'll pass on what I've learned from the past experience of the physical, and I thought I was ready for it.

I ran every day / second day, bout 3 clicks... did the pushups and situps with no problem.

When you get in that room, it's a whole different story. I was nervous bigtime, so my heartrate was up. They had steps there, and some dude on a cd giving instructions. Where I was nervous, I was also a bit shaky, and missed a few steps. Like, you're not allowed to put two feet on the middle step, and two of your feet have to be in a few inches on the top step. So she stopped me half way thru and said enough. I thought I had failed, but nope, she said my VO2 was good enough... thank god. Got to the pushups, Was goin perfect, goin at a good speed, till #16. Then arms started to buckle. I was very surprised, and disappointed, because this didn't happen before. I did #17. Arms buckled a little more. #18, Arms hurt shake uncontrollably. #19, took me like 8 seconds to get this one fully completed, but I pushed myself as hard as I could, got the 19th done. Then,  with no  considerable breather, situps. I could do like 50 at home. I got there, and after 10, started to feel the burn. I was like, wtf? The 19th situp felt like hell. This never happened to me before. I always could do at least 30, on my bad days.

What I'm saying is this. (Many have said it before). You can never be trained. The minimum won't just cut it. I trained, not well, but I could do a bit more than the minimum, and I still had problems. Prehaps it was the nervousness, I don't know... but if I had my time back, I would have trained much more. Acheiving the bare minimum was enough, but I made it quite clear that I was disappointed, and could do more... have done more while training for that day.. Oh well...

Back