• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

pistols/ hand guns

Reaction score
I just passed my restricted/un-restricted firearms safety test and am now waiting to recieve my FAC in the mail. With that being said im looking to buy a pistol. My knowlege of these things are very limited and am looking for advice on what type of pistol to buy. I dont have alot of money to buy a pistol, meaning i dont wanna be spending over $500 when its all said and done. Can anyone recommend a pistol that fires very well and will give me few problems?

Ruger Mk II. .22LR. Shoots forever, low maintenance, highly accurate, ammo is dirt cheap so you can shoot all day, ammo is very low recoil so you can practice your drills properly without developing bad habits (ie "flinching", etc), firearm itself is cheap, and nobody looks at you like a psychopath for having a "plinking" gun.

paracowboy said:
Ruger Mk II. .22LR. Shoots forever, low maintenance, highly accurate, ammo is dirt cheap so you can shoot all day, ammo is very low recoil so you can practice your drills properly without developing bad habits (ie "flinching", etc), firearm itself is cheap, and nobody looks at you like a psychopath for having a "plinking" gun.

+1 to paracowboy - it's my belief that nobody should start out with anything but a .22 and the Ruger is a great choice.  I have 4 of them in various configurations...

blake

On your budget a  used CZ75 is a good choice. Sometimes you can find a Glock 17 for around $600 and it's a solid pistol.

Honestly, without some proper training (NOT CF), you're just going to be teaching yourself bad habits. Save up a bit and attend some decent training, even an  IPSC Black Badge course.  If there's an IPSC or any other type of action shooting club near you, go hang out with them and learn.

FWIW - Bulleyes pistol shooting will get the marksmanship down pat.

I tend to steer away from the IPSC stuff - a lot of it is way to wannabe-- IDPA is a more credible sport to transfer to the CF.  However a lot of good shooters do IPSC - just dont listen to their lack of tactics

Just started a little while back with handguns too, and both a couple for under $500 ea (NIB).  I bought a Walther P22, which is fun-to-plink-with .22 version of the bigger P99.  22s are fun to shoots, and you can put 1000s or rounds downrange for $10-$15.

For more "realistic" shooting, I bought a Norinco (for those of you conoisseurs, don't grimace quite yet, we cannot all afford top of the line gucchy Glocks and Springfield guns...) copy of a Colt 1911.  It shoots quite well in the hands of a beginner and I didn't have to break the piggy bank for it.

+1 On Ruger Mk2, my favorite plinking handgun.  They can be somewhat difficult to take down.

After a .22 you should be able to find a decent used 9mm Hipower for around 500ish.

The Ruger .22 cal gets my vote as well.  I did my early pistol shooting twenty five years ago with a Walther GSP.  A nice target pistol - if you have $1500 - $2500.  Luckily, it was a club gun.  The center fire shooters in the club formed two teams and turned the B-21 indoor range into a 9mm vs .45 ACP debating club.  I bought a 10mm Auto when they came out a few years later (I was in no rush, as I was happy shooting rifle and shotgun).  The original 10mm Auto Norma loadings - 200 grain bullet going 1200 feet per second - would teach Chuck Norris how to flinch.

Start with a .22, and get some classes, is pretty good advice. 

Other shooters will often go out of their way to let you shoot a string out of their center fires - pride of ownership, and all that - so you will get a good idea of what is out there if and when you decide to go center fire.  If you do, do NOT sell your .22!  It's great for back-to-basics/de-flinching.

Be not swayed by the first gun you shoot or the first owner you talk to.  Take your time.  No hurry.

Tom

I mostly went to the gun club to practice for biathalon, but I noticed that all the new shooters were using the .22LR pistols to start out with too.

+1 on the .22 LR. I first started shooting pistols about a year ago at a club that has both .22 LR and center fire pistols. Long story short; I didn't start learning how to shoot until I put down the .40 and started working on the 'plinking' pistols. Rugger is a good name and popular, I personally find them a little light though.

Check out canadiangunnutz.com, they have a buy/sell forum with lots of pistols for sale. I agree that a .22 is the way to start. After that the most economical choice is 9mm, I would look at the Norinco Sig226 copies.

Thanks for the advice. I think im gonna wait out until after this summer before i buy a pistol. In august im taking my DP2A inf course. that covers the 9mm browning. At least from that ill have a general understanding of pistols, enough to buy my own and practice.

There is a Browning Hi-power for sale on CanadianGunnutz for approx. $575. A very good gun. Plus you would get the benefit of using the same gun as issued. I just bought a Norinco 1911 Commander from Armco in Prince George for $549 that has been tuned up by him (excellent value) If you do buy the Norinco NP-22/34 (Sig clone) buy it from a place that has a good warranty, some of them have developed problems. The other Nork pistols such as the 1911 & CZ clones are very reliable. Also the Bul 1911 at Marstar (steel/polymer) look interesting. If you can afford $850 a CPO Sig 226 is also a good value. If you buy a Glock, I personally advise going with the tried and true G17, plus the cost of 9mm is a lot cheaper than .40cal or .45acp

Buying a decent .22cal pistol is a great idea also as you can blast away all day without breaking the piggy bank. 

I tend to steer people towards Glocks these days

I really like Sig's and BHP's (that have been worked on by a real smith) - but the Glock is the perfect pistol.

The only thing I dont like about my issue G19 or my personal G19's and G17 is that you cant customize them  ;)

And with Police Ordnance selling brand new G17's with Tijicon night sights ($100 value) at a discount for Mil/LEO for $749 + tax and S&H, they are a great value for something that is just about perfect out of the box.

I have only heard one person complain about their G17 having a problem and that was a crack in the slide. However I know 2 people that had their .40cal Glocks split on them. Plus seen on a police forum in the US that they were having problems with their new generation .40cal Glocks with the rails. Seems the frame/slide rails were cracking when fitted with a light, the opinion was that the light was preventing the frame from twisting as designed during firing.

Gotta a G17 3rd Gen, like it a lot. I've put lots of rounds through it and it keeps plugging holes in paper. The only stoppages I've had with it have been poor ammunition related. I've got the night sight from the factory, they worked quite well during low light shoots. Also, mine has the NY trigger group......8lb trigger. It is a little more robust than the factory 5.5.  All in all I think the glock is and excellent secondary weapon.

I also have a BHP, SIG and Beretta. Happy with all of them after the BHP had some work done to it.

It is a tool. The operator of the tool is the key to tactical success......that's sound pretty geeky. ::)

My brother is a handgun collector and he rebuilds his own and all that good stuff.  I have gone to the range with him and fired his
Smith & Wesson .38 Special, Colt .45 and he had a long barrel .22 handgun, which I fired as well.

My favorite was the .38 Special...but hey I am a girl so perhaps it suited me best for that reason...very comfortable to fire and well I shot fairly accurately so I will credit the .38 Special for that...lol

Don't know alot about them myself but they certainly are a fun hobby.

I don't ever recalling him paying $500 for a handgun...but he has quite a few friends who are collectors and dealers, as well as people who rebuild them for a hobby.

HL

Before taxes

Norinco 1911, CZ & Sig clones  $399.00

Sig 226 rebuilt from factory (CPO) $800

Sig 226 new                                  $999

Sig 226 Stainless       $1150

Bul 1911’s       $699 and up

Glock G17 new                            $799

Back