• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Port Inspection Diver

• Thread starter CF104Starfighter
  • Start date
Got a quick question... I applied a couple of week ago to join the Navy, and I'm already certified has a diver by the CMAS (don't know the english acronym). Could this help me to be a diver for the navy?

Oxidd said:
Got a quick question... I applied a couple of week ago to join the Navy, and I'm already certified has a diver by the CMAS (don't know the english acronym). Could this help me to be a diver for the navy?

It may help you with the diving but it won't help you get on the course.

Nope. Last time I checked, it is required for you to have your open water (basic divers) in order to apply and become a port-inspection diver in NavRes.

Then you've gotta pass diver's physical so on and so forth... it'll help, but it won't get you on a course.

MedTech said:
Nope. Last time I checked, it is required for you to have your open water (basic divers) in order to apply and become a port-inspection diver in NavRes.

There is nothing on the Cf recruiting website about having to be a qualified civy diver before applying to be a PID

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=R345&bhcp=1

I'm out dated then. Sorry! Like I said, the last time I checked you had to have an open water :) but then again, things chance.

Thanks CDN Aviator!

There is no reason or need for you to be qualified in the civy world to become a PID diver. Once you join the reserves as a PID the first trade course you will go on is the Ship's dive course. Once you have qualified there, then you will go on your QL1.For PID's there is no other trade, it is the trade. For Reg force personnel the ship's dive team is a secondary duty, and completley voluntary.Like I said before, check out the FDU websites for more information.
Cheers. Marc :cdn:

That's interesting to know, thanks M Feetham.  Even though the navy's recruiting website never said it, I too always assumed that you needed some sort of diving experience to apply for the job of PID, cheers.

You do not need a civy qualification to become a PID diver. You can apply even if you have never been diving before, but think about this: Do you really want to sign up for a dive job if you are not sure whether or not you are comfortable breathing underwater?  Even if you have your civy qualification you still have to take your Ship's Diver course, as it is completely different.

Thanks KStew, actually i'm hoping to get my PADI Open Water Certificate this summer, cheers.

Good plan, it will get you comfortable in th water and get you used to having (some of) the gear on.

I know on my PID QL1 there was only 2 of the 16 that had previous diving experience.  The majority of the STD courses that I helped teach or that were taught while I was there did not have a significant number of divers on them.

Bare in mind tho, that if you go in without experience, then there is a possibility that you are too uncomfortable to breath underwater and therefore may get removed off course.  At which point you will remuster, possibly be allowed to retry the course or you may be given the option to release.

DM

Thanks for the insight DiverMedic, I appreciate getting a perspective from people who have first hand knowledge of the training.

Just a quick question: can any trade take the ships diving course.  I've applied to mars officer and military police officer, if i don't go mars and take MPO can I still take the ships diving team course, or boarding party course. 

thanks

Unless things have changed in the time I have been away from FDU, it is only ship trades that can get the course.  Typically you have to be put forward for the course by your CoC of the ship.

DM

take MPO can I still take the ships diving team course, or boarding party course. 

That certainly takes the cake as the stupidest question of the day.

Strace said:
if i don't go mars and take MPO can I still take the ships diving team course, or boarding party course. 
As an MPO, when would you actually expect to be 1) on a ship, 2) diving with the ships dive team, 3) effecting boardings in the sandbox or 4) need any of them as part of your occupation?

My guess is you didn't think this question through before posting it.

Stop talking about it and pick up the phone and start doing something about it. Thats the only way its going to happen. Its a six week basic dive course, thats all, nothing more.

Holy: it was just a general question, i was just checking on my options...sorry...i was told there were plenty of volunteer courses b/w the two career choices very similar.  I just wanted to clear things up b/w mars officer and MPO...shouldn't get you all upset, for one general question.  Now I know my options, if i want to do those courses i'll have to pick Mars officer

Back