• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Post Secondary education and other options' impact on a CF career

2ndChoiceName

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 17 years old and hopefully soon will be enrolled in the Army Reserve. I'm planning on doing a four year university program and then, if I still want to, CT to the Reg Force. However, lately I have been considering the possibility of, instead of going to a traditional college or university, getting training to become a commercial helicopter pilot, fixed-wing bush pilot, or something similar. I am aware of the high costs of said training and I am just wondering what would make me appear more competitive as a Reg Force applicant. If I do decide to attend university I will be applying to criminology programs. With regards to what trade I would apply to in the Reg Force, I would hope to become a Med Tech, however I am willing to do any job that works with the Combat Arms, be that actually in the Combat Arms or a trade such as ACISS.

To be clear, post-secondary education for me is something to help me along in the fields I want to be employed in, (Military/Law Enforcement), as well as providing a fall back if I were to not be able to do said jobs or lose the drive to continue in that field.

2ndChoiceName said:
Hello, I'm 17 years old and hopefully soon will be enrolled in the Army Reserve. I'm planning on doing a four year university program and then, if I still want to, CT to the Reg Force. However, lately I have been considering the possibility of, instead of going to a traditional college or university, getting training to become a commercial helicopter pilot, fixed-wing bush pilot, or something similar. I am aware of the high costs of said training and I am just wondering what would make me appear more competitive as a Reg Force applicant. If I do decide to attend university I will be applying to criminology programs. With regards to what trade I would apply to in the Reg Force, I would hope to become a Med Tech, however I am willing to do any job that works with the Combat Arms, be that actually in the Combat Arms or a trade such as ACISS.

To be clear, post-secondary education for me is something to help me along in the fields I want to be employed in, (Military/Law Enforcement), as well as providing a fall back if I were to not be able to do said jobs or lose the drive to continue in that field.

Your all over the board here.....at some point in time, you're going to have to pick one direction and stick with it.

If your interested in becoming an Officer, why not take a serious look at ROTP and attend RMC?  If you want to attend a "non-traditional" college/university, then why not consider CEOTP/AEAD Pilot (ie; Seneca College)?  If it's an NCM occupation you are interested in then have a look at one of the NCM SEP occupations (ie; College).

If it is Law Enforcement that interests you and Criminology is your preferred degree, then you would have to apply for ROTP/RMC.  If you are looking at becoming an NCM MP, then on the education side, you're on your own dime.

Your all over the board here

I know, the way I wrote it makes me seem very scatterbrained. Let me try to clarify. Basically, I would like to spend my youth and into my late 20s in the Military and then, when I am older and am looking for a career in which I do not have to move around and is more conducive to having a family, join a municipal police service.

My purpose for looking at different post-secondary education options is that my parents very much want me to attend college/university, and, it is never a bad idea to have more education on your resume, regardless of whether I go through with my plans or not. I am just wondering what options would potentially help me in career advancement and just getting hired as a Reg Force member.

I will look into the options you have laid out in your post as well. Thank you for that information.

2ndChoiceName said:
I know, the way I wrote it makes me seem very scatterbrained. Let me try to clarify. Basically, I would like to spend my youth and into my late 20s in the Military and then, when I am older and am looking for a career in which I do not have to move around and is more conducive to having a family, join a municipal police service.

My purpose for looking at different post-secondary education options is that my parents very much want me to attend college/university, and, it is never a bad idea to have more education on your resume, regardless of whether I go through with my plans or not. I am just wondering what options would potentially help me in career advancement and just getting hired as a Reg Force member.

I will look into the options you have laid out in your post as well. Thank you for that information.

Fair enough......  Education is always a good thing and "paid" education is always a better thing.  The military is a career option but if you choose to use it as a stepping stone, there is nothing wrong with that also.  You never know, if you do end up joining, you may be just like many others who thought of the CF as just a means to gain experience and then move along to something else, but found they actually liked the job, the environment and for some, even the frequent relocations.

Heck, when I joined it was just so I could have a job.  Once I was in, I was exploring options on how to get posted back to where I grew up and where my family and childhood friends were.  Then I got married and then on to exploring options on how to stay close to my spouses family and friends.  The next thing you know, it became a career and then my spouse and I were exploring options on where we wanted to move next......lol

It sort of snuck up on me/us!

Good luck!

Back