• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting anywhere in canada......how true is this?

R

Rebel_RN

I have recently started to doubt my decision about joining PRes and am more interested in joining the Reg's. I have discussed this at length with various family members and have received many tidbits of advice or concerns, nothing of what has been said influences me thus far as it is up to me to decide what I want for my life and only me that can decide. Now with that being said, i am looking at starting the process with my RC of joining Reg's infantry, i have asked where it is that I could be posted once all is said and done and received the stock answer of "where you are needed". So, I then explain this to my fiance,and he is more then willing to stand by my decision of joining and running the risk of being posted in a different province. I will have to make the move, if there is one to make, alone. He is tied to Sudbury with his job and can't make an out of province move with me. What I haven't been able to discern through the RC is what type of aid, if any would be available to me to see my fiance when I'm posted (again if it happens) out of province? and roughly how long would/could it last?

If anyone in the know could help me with this, i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Rebel

The Leave Travel Allowance (LTA) is to visit your next-of-kin (NOK).   Since your fiance is not a family member, the only aid you would receive is if he lives in the same locale as your parents.   LTA is an annual benefit.

Your most likely Infantry Regular Force postings would be Gagetown, NB (2 RCR), Petawawa (1 RCR and 3 RCR), (2 PPCLI) Shilo, MB and (1 PPCLI and 3 PPCLI are based in) Edmonton.   If you are French then you could go to Valcartier, PQ.

Thanks Gunner, since I would love to go to Gagetown or Petewawa, I will probably be sent to MB...lol. Thanks again for the info.

Rebel

I would really really like to be sent to edmonton with 1 or 3vp, but I guess once my training is over.... again..... i could be anywhere =(
I thought you used to be able to choose a preference (not so much batallion, but regiment at least) and they would try to get you there.
Is it more random today?

RN

Just a quick question - are you an RN, and if so, why in god's name are you trying to a) seperate yourself from your family for 3 years b) joining a trade in which you will gain no relevant job experience, and be paid a fraction of what you would make as an army Nurse?

Be careful what decisions you make right now, the repercussions last awhile...

damn.... well ill cross my fingers then I guess.Unless I end up in shilo which i hear really sucks, none of the other bases could possibly be worse than where im living now =p

jmackenzie_15 said:
damn.... well ill cross my fingers then I guess.Unless I end up in shilo which i hear really sucks, none of the other bases could possibly be worse than where im living now =p

There is ALWAYS worse............ALWAYS !!

well from what Ive been told, tis in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do , and record high suicide rates.

"well from what Ive been told, tis in the middle of nowhere "  -jmackenzie_15

I'm not one for stirring up a thread on a message board, but according to your profile buddy, your Infantry....enough said.

Mike F.

GO,

To answer your questions, yes I am a nurse
A) I'm not trying to separate myself from my family, but rather allowing myself to follow my dreams. I understand that it is a long absence but I am in a position right now to be able to do so, i don't have any children to worry about at this point and my fiance is behind me in whatever I choose. It is my turn now to follow my dreams.
B) I will be joining a trade in which I want to join, and the experience that I gain from such trade will most defiantly be relevant experience, but if you mean no experience in the field that I am currently in then that is something I will accept. It's not a numbers issue with me, sure I enjoy nursing, and sure I would make more money as an army nurse but as of right now with the information that has been given to me via the RC and my own searches I am strongly leaning towards infantry. As well, i have also been told that after term has been served I will be able to change if I am so inclined to do so and if there is a need for me at that present time. Thanks for the warning though.

Rebel

Then why would you say that?

"I'm not one for stirring up a thread on a message board, but according to your profile buddy, your Infantry....enough said."

What are you saying? Infantry soldiers are second class troops that dont deserve the same living conditions as everyone else?

Mike F. said:
"well from what Ive been told, tis in the middle of nowhere "  -jmackenzie_15

I'm not one for stirring up a thread on a message board, but according to your profile buddy, your Infantry....enough said.

Mike F.

What's that all about?

Mike the Clown,

According to YOUR profile you are still a civilian, and according to your recent posts, one with demonstrable lack of military experience.

So, why don't you sum up until you are at the very least, qualified to put your pants on  in a military manner.

Cheers

OK OK getting out of hand here ha ha.  :eek:

I think I'll back track my steps here for a second ha

A) As far as I've heard from these posts you are allowed to request where your little heart desires to go, you wish to go to Edmonton, excellent choice I may say, yet unfortunately (again reading over several peoples experiences) you get posted anywhere that is needed.

B) Okay, Shilo may be out in the middle of nowhere, nothing much to do etc. (again from what I've heard) But seriously man, what are you expecting? Doesn't every Battalion have its up's and down's?

C) No, I'm not saying Infantry Soldiers are "second class troops that don't deserve the same living conditions as everyone else" I believe that every aspect of the CF should be treated equal, yet after continuously reading the Canadian Forces Recruiting website, specifically on the Infantry Soldier, I "assumed" that living conditions would be less of a concern? Understandably though everyone may have different tastes to certain living conditions, I for one love getting hot and sweaty with the mud chest high and bugs biting  :) Honestly though if I did offend you/anyone with that statement, I apologize as for I was assuming.

We'll best of luck to you in the future jmackenzie_15

Assumption: A statement that is assumed to be true and from which a conclusion can be drawn<---I preformed by making my remark earlier

Cheers

Mike F.

jmackenzie_15  says, Shilo has record high suicide rates - jmac - I ask - Are you making stuff up to look smart or telling everyone something you think you heard or read or do you have some evidence to back up this statement.  Suicides happen in every city, town and Base.  See StatsCan@ http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/health01.htm - approx. 47/100,000 (age 19-65), so the CF could expect to experience approx. 25 per year.  Scary isn't it.

I think it would help recruit much better candidates if they had bases closer to cities.   I know alot of guys that would have loved a career in the CF but choice other paths simply because they would never want to be posted to Shilo, Petewawa, or Gagetown....and I do not blame them one bit!!!   I am not saying the bases should be in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal but at least have them in decent cities like they use too (London, Winnipeg etc).   This way young single soldiers can enjoy their time off and take in a professional sports game, goto a happening bar, meet a potential quality girlfriend.   Older soldiers with families would have alot more family activities to take in on time off, they could actually buy a house and expect a decent return on it, the spouse could actually work at a job that ties in her education and experience.

I think this is huge disadvantage for recruiting and retaining for the CF.   No one wants to goto buttfuck Shilo or Petewawa or Gagetown.

DrSize - when the bases in your world are located closer to cities - where would you put the ranges - downtown.   People in cities complain about the noise from parties or trains - imagine what they would think of Regimental 3 rounds fire for effect or a battle run in their backyard.

The dust storms in Shilo caused by a German Panzer BG on the move to the ranges left a fine coating of dust throughout the entire PMQ area - inside and out.

Soldiers used to use the Bases as a place to sleep between field deployments.

Those soldiers in Edmonton get to spend a few hours on the road to get to a Training Area that does not have Timmie's within a hour radius.   At least in Shilo or Petawawa a soldier is seldom more than 10 or 20 minute drive home or to a Tim's.

I have lived 4 years in Shilo, 4+ years in Gagetown, 3+ years in Petawawa and 4 years in Ottawa.   All 3 bases win out over my 4 years in Ottawa riding a stupid bus to work and dressing in DEU 12 months of the year.   These Bases have been in place for more than 50 years - let's move them to attract more troops who want to have the comforts of home - that will surely prepare them better for Op Tours.

I guess in your world there are no potential quality girlfriends living or working on bases, maybe that's because all of the soldiers in uniform who have adjusted to life on isolated bases already scooped them.

Back