• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prescription Ballistic lenses

You will get inserts to be placed behind the lenses.......

NFLD Sapper said:

Which are the worst things ever invented.

I had to take mine off in Kandahar, was getting migranes while trying to crew command. Ended up just wearing normal glasses with sun/dust/wind goggles covering them.

NFLD Sapper said:
I also used them in the Kandahar region and found them to work well - mine even had bifocals so that I could read with them on.  I suspect the key is to get your eyed tested before deployment so that your prescription is current and then get the inserts ordered.

The challenge is in ensuring the lenses are properly seated and properly centred; if they aren't, you'll suffer.

(I also prefer normal glasses with goggles over top; I find the insert moves too often and needs re-seating to avoid headaches)

PuckChaser said:
Which are the worst things ever invented.

I had to take mine off in Kandahar, was getting migranes while trying to crew command. Ended up just wearing normal glasses with sun/dust/wind goggles covering them.
My eyewear fogs within minutes, then I can't see a friggin thing.  So, I stopped wearing them and just went with my normal glasses, even during contacts.

The lucky guys/gals without inserts did not seem to have the same issue of fogging.  Even tried the nice sprays etc.

I got the fogging too, had to wear a scarf from all the dust and it just trapped hot air under the BEWs inbetween them and the inserts.

Thank god I don't have to wear them anymore (got Lasik). Was like living in a fishbowl and made me sick to my stomach with pounding migraines when in moving vehicles.

If you mean to buy your own (from someone like Oakley or ESS), yes, they're made. Check the manufacturer website and usually it'll be a prescription insert that you order and take to your optometrist.

I never got migraines but I did have some fogging on cold, clear mornings and I noticed significant distortion (flaring and "starlighting") when driving a LAV at night.

I needed a pair for shooting on the range so I picked up a set of sawflys on ebay for $20 which are the same as issued. I went to the base optician and paid out of pocket for the lens. They threw in the inserts for free.

Back