• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Private Sponsorship of a DND unit?

QORvanweert

Inactive
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the PPCLI is the last unit raised with private funds. With that in mind here is my question: If someone came into money, would they be able to donate to their local regiment as a means of adding an additional company or two?

You wouldn't be able to donate to raise an extra company, but many regiments have charitable funds that  pay for the maintenance of regimental museums, ceremonial dress uniforms and other things that are not covered by public money.  Donations are always welcome for such purposes.

Are they willing to continue to pick up the tab for said troops after the initial couple of million dollars?

There's barracks to build, food for them, clothing, weapons, training.....the list goes on and on.

I'm sure they'll appreciate some donations, but they're not going to stand up new platoons/ companies.

Regards

Reg F Bn:  About 650 pers.

Average pay:  About 50K, plus benefits (say another 10K)

Therefore, annual payroll 650 x 60k = 3.9M

Gets expensive really fast.

Even before little things like fuel, ammunition, vehicles or weapons.

Better hope you hit the big one in LottoMax tonight.

dapaterson said:
Even before little things like fuel, ammunition, vehicles or weapons.

And clothing, clothing would be nice too.

And bayonets, there's always a slim chance someone may need to be stabbed, and infantry guys just feel naked without 'em.    ;D

Back