• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Professional engineer through the C.F.

Neepawa said:
I'm currently studying full time towards my master's, and by the end of the year I will have my B.Eng., M.Eng. and P.Eng.

Lots of paper for the recycling bin!  ;D

BernDawg said:
The way I understand it is that the CF will pay your dues ONLY if your position requires certification from a specific governing body.
The relevant policy is CF MIL PERS INSTR 02/10 – Reimbursement of Membership and Licence Fees, which states:
It is government policy to pay membership fees only when departmental memberships in a particular organization are in direct support of a government program, or, when membership is a federal statutory requirement for individual employees to carry out the functions of their positions. (TBS Membership Fees Policy)
"In direct support of a government program" is pretty broad, so I expect a certain amount of wiggle room.  If you're employed alongside public service engineers (classification EN-ENG) there shouldn't be a problem.

I was employed along side civilian Engineers and they wouldn't pay my dues.

Since you say "was" I assume this was in the past.  If it was before 12 March 2010 that's not surprising, since that's when the new policy was issued.  If it was since then, I suppose it could have depended on your trade, since only certain occupations are eligible.  It's worth noting that the civilian engineers couldn't get their dues reimbursed by the government either until recently.

The CF policy I quoted above is available on the Internet at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/02-10-eng.asp

I start my new engineering position in January and I intend to claim my dues for the current year; I'll let you know how it goes.

I recently attended a seminar with the Manager of Pre-Licensing Programs from PEO, the person who reviews EIT work experience in Ontario. According to him, if your direct supervisor is not a P.Eng, you can seek a referral from another P.Eng who is "familiar with your work". This could be someone else in your organisation, or even a client.

Neepawa said:
Since you say "was" I assume this was in the past.  If it was before 12 March 2010 that's not surprising, since that's when the new policy was issued.  If it was since then, I suppose it could have depended on your trade, since only certain occupations are eligible.  It's worth noting that the civilian engineers couldn't get their dues reimbursed by the government either until recently.

The CF policy I quoted above is available on the Internet at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/02-10-eng.asp

I start my new engineering position in January and I intend to claim my dues for the current year; I'll let you know how it goes.

Nope, I retired in Sep this year and inquired as to the payment of dues as soon as I read the message when it came out.  I was told (by my CoC) not to bother claiming my dues because my position did not call for specific licensing or certification.
For the record I hope they allow you to claim your dues as they should for anyone who takes the time to get professional acknowledgement for their trade.

Back