• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Profiles of posters

George Wallace said:
Glad you feel this way.  ::)

Usually a persons profile will give others an idea of who they are and where they are coming from.  If someone wants to be a "POSER" on a forum such as this, they are usually found out rather quickly and dealt with in a 'suitable' manner.  We do like to have some fun with our Posers first though - it does get entertaining.  ;D
My point is that you ultimately have to make a judgement call about whether or not someone is a liar, whether they lie in a profile or lie in a message.  It's interesting that no one will try to win an argument by saying "well, I'm right because I've got 20 years in and you've only got 10", but a profile essentially serves to broadcast that "authority".  Good arguments get left unmade if the younger (and possibly better-informed) readers decide not to take on someone who can trump them every time.

hamiltongs said:
Good arguments get left unmade if the younger (and possibly better-informed) readers decide not to take on someone who can trump them every time.

Darn...How I wish you hadn't made that comment.   WE suffered through a rather nasty spell of that last year.   It was horrible.   Many of the survivors can bear witness.   I'll just take my time and walk over to the herd and do them all.   No need to rush over to do only one.   Thank you.

I've changed my profile to reflect how important it really is. I'll change it back in a day or so.

Gonna call me on it?

I agree with Hamiltongs: profiles don't ID posers any more quicly than their own typing does. It simply provides an easy way for the lazy to assess an individual who MAY have been honest in filling in the profile.

Facta non Verba

Acorn

Acorn said:
Gonna call me on it?

Sure, why not? And not because you pointed out that you changed it. Seems to be a no-brainer. Aren't you proving the opposing point?

I am, in a ham-handed way, trying to demonstrate that the profile is just as subject to falsehood as an individual's posts. Rather than relying on such an unreliable source of credibility, I'd think that one's "body of work" should be the means of decision. Posers will put whatever they want into the profile. Not all will be so obviously out of 'er as I've been.

Acorn

Yes, a member can put whatever information they like in their profile, and some have been challenged for claiming knowledge and experience while sporting empty profiles. But the crux of the matter comes forth when a person's cumulative post content does not match the common sense assessment of the background and experience that the purported facts of the profile would indicate. Whe someone claims a course, or a tour, or a rank or trade, then their basic presentation of declared "facts" should match that expected by others with the same, or very similar, qualifications.

People are called on their profiles for a reason - I've noticed a few members with blank profiles, but their posts are solid and what experience I have tells me they know what they are talking about.  People get called on profiles for the "courtesy call" - the person in question has crashed into the party by making a big splash; this is a community of people who are all invited into "Mike's House" and are familiar with each other due to the fact that they come to the same place day-in and day-out.  Somebody has crashed the party without stating who (or what) they are - the "profile question" is a polite "okay, you're new here and you just stepped into our discussion - WTF are you?".  Being somewhat familiar with most other members, people want to know who the new guy is.

Sure, there is no law or rule that says you have to fill it out (although it is encouraged in the Guidelines), but it is courtesy.  These forums have evolved with the notion that you fill it in so that others can match your posts to your bona fides.  Most posers have been sniffed out pretty quick.  As well, some people establish credibility immediately with rock solid posting and don't tend to get asked.  Again, levels of anonymity vary from user to user (which is fine), but some sort of info would be nice, just so I know I'm not talking to a computer.

Maybe it's my trade, but taking anything at face value strikes me as problematic. The fact is that I take no more stock in a stated profile than I do in any other claim. One's bona fides are established by one's posts.

I have very good reasons to maintain anonymity. I hope my posts speak for themselves. The "profile question" strikes me too much like the "what ribbons do you have" question. For all you know I could be a 55 year-old LGen posted to Khandahar, as absurd as that seems. Or I could be a 17 year old cadet with a remarkable insight into current events. Either can manipulate a profile.

XXX

A good profile with good sound post quality is overall good ballance. Just because one has a full profile does not mean he is full of shit. take a look at mine, as I have nothing to hide.

I also take into consideration the quantity and quality of one's posts, and refer to one's profile for a broad spectrum overall. Although there are some on here who have earned respect without having a completed profile. They know who they are.

Cheers,

Wes

All right, here's my apology.

1) I never post anything which needs more justification/verification than my current profile provides. Since filling out a profile and posting statements which rely heavily on specific experience are one and the same thing, why do one without the other? If i one day decide to start talking about that time I had the Carl Gustav ND on Ex Mystery Coyote, then anyone who was there would immedietly know who I am, profile or no profile. I don't fill out the profile, I don't talk about the ND, problem solved.

(But no, the actual Carl G ND wasn't me, I was on the next relay. That guy got out 3 years ago. I heard he later joined 1RCR.....)

2) At the same time, I honestly don't have any noteworthy experience to speak of. The majority of you guys have far more time in and gongs than I do. I'd be packing militia rounds  if it came to a pissing match.  Unlike Acorn, I'm not nearly important enough to have anything to hide.

2) I do all of the above because I want to keep work and play seperate. Now, I've learned a lot from reading your posts and it's definitely influenced me at work, but I don't engage my Plt Cmdr in lengthy debates about the Iraq War or Palestine or Karl Rove, I'd rather not do it here either. Especially as I can sometimes be rather "vocal" about my views. I know a few of you guys in real life, so I keep a low profile for the sake of maintaining a professional atmosphere at the  day job. Needless precaution? I'd rather not risk it.

Another issue is the CF is a relatively small place.

Even smaller once you narrow down to trades and places.

(and frightfully small when you realise that Six people (in 42 pers, I think I counted right?) that did a detail with you 11 years ago post here...)

All true.  I decided to fill out a fairly detailed profile (to the point where a number of people have guessed who I am) because I began to address specific operational points almost immediately after joining the site.  The profile at least gave people a point to start with in assessing whether or not my posts were BS.

Frankly, I like seeing a filled out profile.  It isn't the be all and end all but gives me more information that, when looking at a posting, allows me to more accurately assess the credibility of the poster.  Someone with a profile indicating he/she is OC A Sqn of JTF-2 posting nonsense quickly tells me something about the character of that person and allows me to respond accordingly.

My two cents.

Acorn said:
Maybe it's my trade, but taking anything at face value strikes me as problematic. The fact is that I take no more stock in a stated profile than I do in any other claim. One's bona fides are established by one's posts.

I have very good reasons to maintain anonymity. I hope my posts speak for themselves. The "profile question" strikes me too much like the "what ribbons do you have" question. For all you know I could be a 55 year-old LGen posted to Khandahar, as absurd as that seems. Or I could be a 17 year old cadet with a remarkable insight into current events. Either can manipulate a profile.

XXX

Britney Spears said:
All right, here's my apology.

1) I never post anything which needs more justification/verification than my current profile provides. Since filling out a profile and posting statements which rely heavily on specific experience are one and the same thing, why do one without the other? If i one day decide to start talking about that time I had the Carl Gustav ND on Ex Mystery Coyote, then anyone who was there would immedietly know who I am, profile or no profile. I don't fill out the profile, I don't talk about the ND, problem solved.

(But no, the actual Carl G ND wasn't me, I was on the next relay. That guy got out 3 years ago. I heard he later joined 1RCR.....)

2) At the same time, I honestly don't have any noteworthy experience to speak of. The majority of you guys have far more time in and gongs than I do. I'd be packing militia rounds   if it came to a pissing match.    Unlike Acorn, I'm not nearly important enough to have anything to hide.

2) I do all of the above because I want to keep work and play seperate. Now, I've learned a lot from reading your posts and it's definitely influenced me at work, but I don't engage my Plt Cmdr in lengthy debates about the Iraq War or Palestine or Karl Rove, I'd rather not do it here either. Especially as I can sometimes be rather "vocal" about my views. I know a few of you guys in real life, so I keep a low profile for the sake of maintaining a professional atmosphere at the   day job. Needless precaution? I'd rather not risk it.

Acorn is right - profiles don't make or break the member; we've had a few BTDT's who've joined and have been utter asses and been shown the door.  Anybody can be a dink or a numpty, regardless of the gongs and the profile.  However, it is still nice to figure out if the guy who you are discussing infantry tactics has actually done one - it isn't the deciding factor (a person's posts should speak for themselves) but we all know that in our line of work, experience goes a long way.

BTW, neither of you are really "avoiding" the profile too much.  Look at my profile - it isn't much more detailed.  I just put the rank and operational experience to show what I actually have done; since I do prefer some anonomity, I've left out everything else.  Some people don't mind name, unit and the rest, and that's for them to decide.  Since you both of been around for a while, others can (roughly) place you from your posts.  The profile request goes to guys with 2 posts that jump right into the fray - again, I think it is nice if you let us have an inkling about where you are coming from....

it's polite. You walk into someone else's house, you introduce yourself. In time, everyone is comfortable with your presence, and you can reach into the fridges without asking. Somebody who is rude enough to ignore simple etiquette probably isn't going to be that quality a poster.

As for me, I've put enough detail into mine, that anyone in 3RCR or 3PPCLI (including my CO) knows who I am immediately. But then, I've never said anything on here, or any other site, that I wouldn't say in person. I try hard to never lie or blow smoke.

paracowboy said:
But then, I've never said anything on here, or any other site, that I wouldn't say in person. I try hard to never lie or blow smoke.

He's right, he refers to himself in the third person in real life too.... :D

paracowboy said:
it's polite. You walk into someone else's house, you introduce yourself. In time, everyone is comfortable with your presence, and you can reach into the fridges without asking. Somebody who is rude enough to ignore simple etiquette probably isn't going to be that quality a poster.

I dated a girl for a month without knowing her last name or her phone number (still seeing her, actually, though we have fewer secrets now).   Was part of the fun.   Sometimes you see someone at a party and just listen to them talk and don't even care what their name is - knowing that they work in a factory is just mundane and adds nothing to the discussion.   Sometimes NOT knowing is part of the thrill.   So I guess I disagree with you on this.   I still have no idea what Britney Spears is, but am almost always enjoying what he says - and am often surprised, as he is hard to peg down as to experience, poltical views, etc.   And I think his handle and avatar are just plain funny, juxtaposed against his obvious military experience.

Infanteer said:
He's right, he refers to himself in the third person in real life too....
yes, sometimes he does.
Michael Dorosh said:
And I think his handle and avatar are just plain funny, juxtaposed against his obvious military experience.
hence the use of the word "probably." Brits is the exception, that 10%. He's a pinko fellow-traveller, but he's intelligent, experienced, and witty.

paracowboy said:
yes, sometimes he does. hence the use of the word "probably." Brits is the exception, that 10%. He's a pinko fellow-traveller, but he's intelligent, experienced, and witty.

Right, so - to go back to your analogy - let's make it a mess party.   Do you stand at the door of the mess and demand business cards from everyone who enters the door, or do you stand back and wonder who the heck that guy with the short hair is that keeps telling the funny stories?   Is he in the Army....or isn't he?  

Demanding to see I Cards is surely going to turn people away who might otherwise be a lot of fun, as well as, of course, some troublemakers, probably more troublemakers than decent people.   I still think it's worth the risk not to make self-identification mandatory.  And if some dude slips in and tells tall tales about his service in the Royal Marine Commandos - well, part of the game, just as roasting him upon discovery is. ;)

I wouldn't demand that profiles be filled in (since it would probably lead to more posing), but since I am lazy it is nice to be able to see where someone is coming from.  Most articles in professional journals have a small bio on the author, and for new posters I usually go to their profile to get a little background.  Still, I wouldn't make it mandatory.

2B

I wasn't trying to be funny in my choice of handle, I merely picked something which would not provide any useful information in a Google search. Sorry.

Back