• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Protecting Canada by Sub (split fm Canada's New, Liberal, Foreign Policy)

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually, the statement of policy was formally turned into an Agreement, the Ogdensburg Agreement, which is still in full force and effect today.

Ok, well, we could simply extricate ourselves from all international affairs but maintain a posture that deters others from taking advantage of us, and thus satisfying the US that we are doing our bit.

So if you're going to invade Canada, you have to do it by sea. And what's the best deterrant to a fleet attempting to approach our coasts?
Anyone?

Lumber said:
Ok, well, we could simply extricate ourselves from all international affairs but maintain a posture that deters others from taking advantage of us, and thus satisfying the US that we are doing our bit.

So if you're going to invade Canada, you have to do it by sea. And what's the best deterrant to a fleet attempting to approach our coasts?
Anyone?
I couldn't resist  >:D

If you say mines, my head is going to hurt from all the banging on the wall.

But if you say submarines then  ;D.

Lumber said:
It is indeed sarcasm; think of it as a thought experiement. Our real "strategic" asset would be to become everyone's friend, and to have a resource based export economy. Our interests are already heavily underwritten by the US, so this wouldn't be a significant change.

Canada doesn't need friends, just allies and trading partners. The terms aren't mutually exclusive. For defence, the only "friend" we require at the moment is the United States, so being part of any hegemonic alliance in which the United States, as the leading nation, is part of offers strategic advantages.

Our real choice then is if we emphasize north American defence, expeditionary operations, or half ass do both as we are now.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Yes, submarines! Forget the surface fleet, forget the army. Put all of our money into building a large and advanced fleet fleet of attack submarines.

This will protect us from invasion, but it won't necessarily protect us from airborne attack on our cities, so I'm either thinking keep the fighters, or a more advanced SAM network.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Our real choice then is if we emphasize north American defence, expeditionary operations, or half *** do both as we are now.

I actually kind of like the middle option.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Our real choice then is if we emphasize north American defence, expeditionary operations, or half ass do both as we are now.
For the win - simple question, but not easy to answer.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

15 nuke subs, we could dust off the old proposal  8)

Colin P said:
15 nuke subs, we could dust off the old proposal  8)

With the captains wearing kilts!  :nod:

6193793eb35c9e502f2f1883f6ac1c30.jpg
fe140c9a36bcf3bfcc4837c8aa002a3b.jpg

Sorry,  :highjack:  but I couldn't resist.

Lumber said:
Anyone?

Arctic ice  8);  the best defence we have on our 'weakest flank'!  There is much interest, on many nations parts, in the Arctic.  That should be a huge part of our 'look 10 years forward' IMO.

Lumber said:
Yes, submarines! Forget the surface fleet, forget the army. Put all of our money into building a large and advanced fleet fleet of attack submarines.

How big, and SSN or SSK?  Mix?  What potential enemies nations/states are we protecting against and what is THEIR sub fleet org like?  The Chinese?  Russia? 

NEVER forget the Army.  Subs and planes can not, never have, and never will be able to take, and/or hold ground.

ASW is a 3-dimensional game, so I think we do need the skimmers too, if you want to talk about a serious threat from an invading force.  Keep in mind, the NORAD stuff includes some of the SLOCs/maritime stuff now too.  There is a need for Mother for the Cyclone to do her business off of too.  We will have 2 very capable ASW platforms in the RCAF with the Cyclone (Block 1? 2?..) and the Block 3 Aurora.  They work well together.  Organic helo's have a specific strength MPAs do not;  they are always close to the hot spot Mother is working.  :2c:

We are also "uniquely" motivated to find and either deter or destroy to submarine.

It is unsettling, to say the least, to come home after a 2.5hr mission and find that your "airfield" has been sunk....

SeaKingTacco said:
We are also "uniquely" motivated to find and either deter or destroy to submarine.

It is unsettling, to say the least, to come home after a 2.5hr mission and find that your "airfield" has been sunk....

Ya, I guess there is that aspect the fling-wingers have to consider;  hard to imagine having to fly with no galley and hope your rolling patch of 'runway' is still on the top.. ;D.  Just the 'no galley' part baffles me... :endnigh:

What do you need a galley for?

EITS: Ever tried to get up from the pilot's seat in helicopter in flight?  [:D :trainwreck:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
What do you need a galley for?

How else can the Acousticians make us dry sensor types sandwiches and coffee while we work!  ;D

EITS: Ever tried to get up from the pilot's seat in helicopter in flight?  [:D :trainwreck:

No, but I guess with no galley and bathroom, what's there to get up 'for'?  Having said that...I can't imagine flying without the ability to offload personal POL...those HIFR (right term I hope...) extended missions must suck !

Therefore, in the spirit of keeping this thread on track, I propose the following (pictured below) for the MH folks as a `mimimum standard` galley and `head for the Cyclone to enable them to support Liberal foreign policy.

toaster.jpg

610761_f520.jpg

;D

Eye In The Sky said:
Subs ...can not, never have, and never will be able to take, and/or hold ground.
Although HMCS Corner Brook tried.  ;D

ns-hmcscornerbrook-mi.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:
How big, and SSN or SSK?  Mix?  What potential enemies nations/states are we protecting against and what is THEIR sub fleet org like?  The Chinese?  Russia? 

NEVER forget the Army.  Subs and planes can not, never have, and never will be able to take, and/or hold ground.

ASW is a 3-dimensional game, so I think we do need the skimmers too, if you want to talk about a serious threat from an invading force.  Keep in mind, the NORAD stuff includes some of the SLOCs/maritime stuff now too.  There is a need for Mother for the Cyclone to do her business off of too.  We will have 2 very capable ASW platforms in the RCAF with the Cyclone (Block 1? 2?..) and the Block 3 Aurora.  They work well together.  Organic helo's have a specific strength MPAs do not;  they are always close to the hot spot Mother is working.  :2c:

Do we need to actually worry about dealing with enemy subs while they are actually under the ice...or is it enough to focus on blocking entry to/exit from the ice pack?

Eye In The Sky said:
How big, and SSN or SSK? 

Today you don't have to choose anymore! The Arihant class is an SSN sized boat with the ability to carry 4 SLBM's, or refit the missile compartment to carry 12 smaller missiles (you can imagine 12X tomahawk cruise missiles for a Western version, although in the Arihant class these are mini SLBM's). Something along these lines would be ideal as a force projection arm of the RCN. Perhaps when I am Imperator...

The underlying problem isn't that we don't know (or at least have strong opinions) what is needed, but rather that neither the electorate nor political class shoos to examine these issues or devote sufficient resources to defense as the "hard power" arm of foreign policy. Come to think of it, strangling business in a high tax, high regulatory environment cripples Canada's "soft power" arm as well. In today's National Post, for example, there is an article saying Quebec needs to dismantle its regulatory regime for maple syrup. The reason? They finally figured out that New York State alone has more maple trees than Quebec, and they will soon be able to fill the market with inexpensive maple syrup. Quebec's syrup is far too expensive because of the regulatory regime, nothing else.

So long as the Liberal vision is to milk Canadians for the benefit of the Party and its cronies, nothing is going to change, and the CF will undergo another "decade of darkness", with limited deployments to the "disaster de jour" that are horrible enough to headline the news rather than anything which engages the National Interest. (expect quite a few "bungles in the jungle" as well). Virtue signalling is not a foreign or defense policy, but that is what we will get.

GR66 said:
Do we need to actually worry about dealing with enemy subs while they are actually under the ice...or is it enough to focus on blocking entry to/exit from the ice pack?

Probably a question better answered by the guys who are the best ASW asset, and they wear Dolphins not wings.  I've never worked ASW around ice. 

However, when I think of "subs under ice" I think nuc's.  Hard to drop a kill store from the air thru ice...

Back