• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Colin William Wilmot - 1 Fd Amb - July 6 2008

ENGINEERS WIFE

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian soldier killed by explosion in Afghanistan

By Alexander Panetta, The Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - A Canadian military medic lauded by peers for his quick smile, sharp intellect, and generous heart has been killed by an explosion during a foot patrol in Afghanistan.

Pte. Colin William Wilmot died during a patrol Sunday in the Panjwaii district near Kandahar city.

He is the 87th Canadian soldier killed in the Afghanistan mission.

The Edmonton-based medic was remembered by peers as the top student in his basic medical course and a young man with a perpetually sunny disposition.

They said he was not originally scheduled to join the current rotation in Afghanistan, but demanded to be sent.

"He quickly marched in to see his regiment sergeant-major to indicate he was eager to serve," said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, Canada's top soldier in Afghanistan.

"Colin wanted it known that should a spot become available on the mission, he wanted in.

"He was selected to fill a vacancy soon after, because he was motivated, he was skilled, and because he was eager to make a difference in the lives of ordinary Afghans."

He is the first Canadian soldier killed in combat since early June.

More recently, one soldier died in a fall into a wall during a night-time patrol, and another died just days ago in a base sleeping quarters for reasons still being investigated.

Wilmot leaves behind a fiancee, Laura.

:salute:

ISAF Statement:  "An ISAF soldier died Sunday from injuries sustained in an explosion in southern Afghanistan.  “Our deepest sympathies go out to the soldier's family, friends and fellow soldiers today,” said Captain (UK Royal Navy) Michael Finney, ISAF Chief PAO and acting ISAF spokesperson. “We have lost a valuable member of our team and this loss will be felt across ISAF. This soldier died while helping to bring security and peace to the people of Afghanistan.”  In accordance with ISAF policy, ISAF does not release the casualty’s nationality prior to the relevant national authority doing so.  Next of kin have been notified."

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.......Thank you for your service... :salute:

Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect others.
Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they preform for those in need.

My condolences to the family :cdn:

Damn this bad news! What a fu**ing way to start the week :'(

Rest in Peace Pte Wilmot  :salute:

-Deadpan

DND News Release

OTTAWA – At approximately 12:50 a.m., Kandahar time, on July 5, a Canadian soldier suffered critical injuries and later died when an explosive device detonated near a dismounted security patrol in Panjwayi District.

The fallen soldier is Private Colin William Wilmot, a medic serving with the Health Services Support Unit in Afghanistan attached to 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group. His home unit was 1 Field Ambulance, based in Edmonton, Alberta.

First-aid was administered to Private Wilmot immediately following the explosion. He was evacuated by helicopter to the Multi-National Medical Facility at Kandahar Airfield. Sadly, Private Wilmot was pronounced dead upon arrival.

The thoughts and prayers of every member of the Canadian Task Force are with Private Wilmot’s family and friends during this very difficult time. Despite our grief, Task Force Kandahar will continue our important mission to bring peace and stability to the people of Afghanistan. .

My condolences to the Wilmot family. RIP Pte Wilmot.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. -2 Tim. :7

RIP Pte. Wilmot :salute: And thank you for your service to Canada and the people of Afghanistan

Another OHS alumni to get hit. I remember Colin from HS. Always smiling.

Rest in Peace.

The sacrifices these men make every day overseas make me prouder to be a Canadian.

Rest in peace Pte. Wilmot

Statement by Governor General/Commander in Chief:  "It is with a very heavy heart that I learned of the tragic death of Private Colin William Wilmot, who perished while on patrol in Kandahar.  The driving force behind the international convention against antipersonnel landmines, Canada is pained to see another of its sons struck down by these explosive killing devices.  It was to support the Afghan people in their desire to escape this life of constant menace and violence that Private Wilmot agreed to brave all the dangers and gave his life. We must salute his courage and recognize the absolute commitment to humanity of this worthy young man.  In these difficult times, my husband Jean-Daniel Lafond and I join with all Canadians in expressing our heartfelt condolences to his family and friends, and of course his comrades who continue to carry out their mission in Afghanistan. May they know how much we share this terrible loss."

Statement by Prime Minister:  "Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of Private Colin William Wilmot:  "I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the family, friends, and loved ones of Private Colin William Wilmot, who died in Afghanistan on July 5. The thoughts and prayers of the nation are with them during this time of great sorrow.  “As a medic working in Kandahar province, Private Wilmot was strongly committed to treating members of both the Canadian Forces and Afghan National Security Forces injured in combat. He participated in numerous security patrols with his fellow soldiers to ensure that immediate medical assistance was available if someone got hurt. Tragically, he was critically wounded on such a patrol in the Panjwayi District when an explosive device detonated.  “The dedication and bravery of Private Wilmot will long be remembered by Canadians and Afghans alike. We mourn the loss of this exceptional Canadian."  Private Wilmot was a medic serving with the Health Services Support Unit in Afghanistan and was attached to the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group. His home unit was 1 Field Ambulance, based in Edmonton, Alberta."

Statement by Minister of National Defence:  "The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier:  "It is with great sadness that I learned yesterday of the death of Private Colin William Wilmot in Afghanistan. On behalf of the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces, I would like to offer our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of this valiant soldier. We grieve with them during this difficult time.  Private Wilmot, a medic serving with the Health Services Support Unit in Afghanistan, died when an explosive device detonated near a dismounted security patrol in Panjwayi District.  Canada is in Afghanistan at the request of the democratically elected government, and as part of a NATO-led, UN-mandated mission to help build a stable, democratic, and self-sufficient society.  The Canadian Forces is making an immense difference in the lives of Afghans while protecting and promoting both Canadian and international security. Despite our grief, we will continue our important mission to bring peace and stability to the people of Afghanistan.  Private Wilmot was a dedicated and professional soldier, who will be dearly missed. His sacrifice will not be forgotten."  Private Wilmot was a medic serving with the Health Services Support Unit in Afghanistan and was attached to the 2nd Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group. His home unit was 1 Field Ambulance, based in Edmonton, Alberta."

- edited to fix PM link -

Back