• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Costall, USA Sgt. John Stone Killed by Fratricide

Just got a chance to post all of the material Associated Press was kind enough to share with me here (BIG FILE WNG:  10MB .pdf, ~20 pg. file)

Interesting reading, but I'm not going to second guess - things could have been done differently, but that's true ANY time something happens.  GAP hit the nail right on the head:

GAP said:
Having been in similar scenarios, you breath a huge sigh of relief the next morning (after nothing bad happened) and the sun comes up and everybody realizes exactly where everybody actually is in relation to everybody else. Things get quickly resorted, but at night in a hurry-hurry situation, Murphy's Law starts applying.

Renewed condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen, we know the SF gunner will carry this for the rest of his life, and let's hope all learn as much as possiible from the tragedy.

Hale said:
I think calling it a stupid assumption is a bit over the top though.
Okay.  From someone who was in country & "in the loop" at the time, you're well out of your lane.

This just in...

Forward Operating Base Robinson Board of Inquiry findings released
CEFCOM NR–07.030 - August 7, 2007
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2414
Inquiry Results Page - http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/focus/robinson/index_e.asp
Statement, CO CEFCOM - http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2415
Family statement - http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2416
CFNIS statement - http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=758397

Lieutenant-General Michel Gauthier, Commander Canadian Expeditionary Force Command (CEFCOM), released today the findings from the Forward Operating Base (FOB) Robinson Board of Inquiry (BOI) that investigated the March 28/29 2006 firefight between allied forces and members of the Taliban.

Private Costall was killed as a result of gun fire originating from a weapon manned by a US Army soldier during an attack of unprecedented intensity by Taliban forces from multiple directions. The firefight resulted in the death of Private Robert Costall and injuries to three other Canadian soldiers serving with the Canadian Quick Response Force of Task Force Afghanistan. Master Sergeant John Stone, U.S. Army, was also killed in the same incident and one other US soldier was injured.

“The Board’s findings are thorough and comprehensive and provide an insightful look into the tragic events of that night,” said General Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff. “I am satisfied that the Board met their objectives and that their findings and the lessons that were incorporated into our battlefield standard operating procedures (SOPs) since the incident occurred have significantly improved the safety of the incredibly courageous and professional young men and women who proudly wear our uniform, serving our great country in Afghanistan. Private Costall and Master Sergeant Stone did not die in vain and we shall never forget their ultimate contribution in the pursuit of peace for the Afghan population.” ....

milnewstbay said:
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

U.S. army completes friendly fire probe into killings of U.S., Canadian soldiers
Wilson Ring, Associated Press + Canadian Press, 6 Apr 07
Article link - Media Analysis of Death, 11 Apr 06 (.pdf) - Army.ca Thoughts and Prayers Thread for Pte. Costall

Stone was in and out of the military several times over the years and in the interim spent eight years walking around the world. He was on his third tour in Iraq when he was killed.

Interesting, I thought all this happened in Afghanistan...... NOT IRAQ!

geo said:
Interesting, I thought all this happened in Afghanistan...... NOT IRAQ!

Good eye - better than the editor of the piece!

Heh.... got grief for about 5 minutes from this lady who wanted Canadian troops out of Iraq.
I patiently looked at her & continued to tell her, over and over again that there were no Cdn troops in Iraq
She huffed and she puffed and got more and more vocal & attracted a large crowd with her hysterics

In the end she proved herself to be entirely unstable and more or less collapsed when I ended up my side of the conversation by saying that we did have troops in Afghanistan and that we were doing great things by creating a safe environment....

Got a number of applauses and a couple of thumps on the back for my trouble...

Life is good when you expose nut jobs :)

geo said:
Heh.... got grief for about 5 minutes from this lady who wanted Canadian troops out of Iraq.
I patiently looked at her & continued to tell her, over and over again that there were no Cdn troops in Iraq
She huffed and she puffed and got more and more vocal & attracted a large crowd with her hysterics

In the end she proved herself to be entirely unstable and more or less collapsed when I ended up my side of the conversation by saying that we did have troops in Afghanistan and that we were doing great things by creating a safe environment....

Got a number of applauses and a couple of thumps on the back for my trouble...

Life is good when you expose nut jobs :)

Where was this? At a mall or some other public venue? I'm genuinely curious.

Regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if the US report is online?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Recce By Death said:
Where was this? At a mall or some other public venue? I'm genuinely curious.

Outside the Atwater subway station / Alexis Nihon plaza

WarmAndVertical said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know if the US report is online?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Check here, top right corner entitled "Costall Fratricide:  USA CENTCOM, SOCOM Report Highlights" - 10+MB .pdf file.

Back