• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

punishment of the rucksack

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwick

Inactive
Reaction score
hey everyone im training right now for cambrian patrol, the ruck march was a little dodgy on the shoulders.  To fix this or help me out is there any exercises or is it just practice that makes you stronger at it.  I was using a waist belt that was tight enough to leave me sore on the sides of the hips. i was also using a jump ruck.  I dunno any advice would be appreciated thanks to all

um... best advice I ever got about a ruck sack

Pillows and helium balloons.....

If the ruck is put together correctly, it should rest comfortably (for having
50-60 pounds on your back).

I don't use my waist strap.. It pisses me off.  Some do but
of course you figured out tight is BAD for waist.  It's simply
a matter of practice with the ruck, becoming familiar with
how you like to wear it, where it will pinch, rub, and how to
prevent it by readjusting, proper loading of kit.

Don't throw in a sandbag and then walk.  Pack actual kit.

64 pattern yes,
and yes we leave next year (crosses fingers) fall 2007
my rucks was about 60lbs
so im guessing practice and familiarization makes perfect????

Trinity said:
um... best advice I ever got about a ruck sack

Pillows and helium balloons.....

If the ruck is put together correctly, it should rest comfortably (for having
50-60 pounds on your back).

Brilliant advice, truly a genius concept.

I would be honoured to meet the fellow who taught you that!

dileas

tess

All you need to meet that fellow is a mirror Tess, and while you at it buy that man a drink!

with the rucksack  it generally comes down to personal preference as mentioned be for it is trial and error as to what works best for you anyways that was my 2 cents best of luck with the patroll make us proud

My best words of advice for you when it comes to carrying a rucksack on the Cambrian Patrol is...... "Take the Pain". It doesnt get any better no matter how much you fix or play with your rucksack after the first40 kms it all feels the same. I used a 64 pattern for work up trg and when we got there I used the Para Bergen ( it is way better than the 64 pattern). ALike I said before the Patrol was easy its the work up trg that is hard LOL ;D
R711 OUT

Of course it's about personal comfort
What's also important is how secure your kit is to the ruck.
I remember in basic that damn dangling valise bag, exacerbating the weight of the ruck every time it bounced off of my butt.
The way I see it, you got two options:
1. Get some of those cargo straps and make that valise, to quote a Sgt, "one with the ruck." (i.e. sinch it in tight)
2. Move the valise to the top of the ruck so that it is above your center of gravity so it doesn't feel like it's pulling backwards

If you go with #2, make sure your valise does not hamper the movement of your head. You're already a hunch back with the ruck, no need to add injury to insult by forcing your neck forward in agany for +2 hours. (P.S. I appologize if I offended any hunchbacks.)

I personally have two valises; the issued one and a wheeler's valise. The wheeler holds tons more but is substantially wider and not ideal for ruck marches or working in the woods. But since my role in the field is usually stationary, it comes in handy for stuffing my second pair of boots, cleaning kit, washbasin, pillow, full sleeping bag (liner, inner, outer + bivy bag), ranger blanket, ground sheet and a dozen clowns. I still use the issued bag to stuff in 'just the essentials' for ruck marches.

crc, i do secure the valise above the bag, and i do use cargo straps!
looks ok to me i guess

If you can, ditch the Pat 64 ruck and get yourself something with an internal frame and a purpose built waistbelt. Anything green will do as they don't care what kind of kit you carry during the actual event. The British bergen is a good bet if you can get one. Otherwise, have a peek at MEC or something similar.

For training, do lots of hills. Multiple reps is a good way to get going. Try for a one to two hour session at least 2 or 3 times per week. Start with 40 lbs and incease by 5 lbs a week until you're up to 60 or 65 lbs (Get an iPod!) Not much use in training with more weight than that, although you should try a couple of heavy carries of up to 80-90 lbs just to get the flavour. You should also do alot of cross training on the weights, or just lots of normal pushups and situps, along with running in your basic running type shoes.

I've got the 82, and with that its not the weight so much as the design that gets me...I've carried more weight further and been very comfortable with the small pack.  But I'm qutie small and if the ruck is not done just right, I end up with a sore shoulder...not the top of the shoulder, but on the back, as if something has been poking me.

I got to try a 64 pattern jump frame and it was very comfortable.

I know someone who, at 5'4", found the 82 blindingly painful.  She bought a 64 pattern frame and attached the 82 harness, back pad, and field bag and it all works out well for her now.

I've been looking for a civy pattern hip belt for a while now.  Apparently, they can be bought seperate from a hiking pack.  Anyone know any where a fella can do this?

I got a note from an NCO who recently did the Cambrian. He suggested getting the weight down to the absolute minimum by using as much 'hi speed' gear as you can get. His team managed to fit everything they needed into their patrol packs. They bought lightweight snugpak sleeping bags, lightwieght bivvy bags, used microfleece/ snugpak jackets, stealth suits etc etc. Expensive but maybe worth it if you're going for a gold. It's only 48 hours of hell....

I live in Kananaskis (for another month, then it off to St. Jean) and I have found that the adventure racing crowd always has the gucciest gear.  I have seen these people move fast and far and the concept of a sore from a bag is almost foreign to them.  They customise their rigs like nobodes business and I find them in the gear shops in Calgary.  I paid one to change the suspension system on my civy backpack and it is perfect, I never get any rubbing wounds and it carries so nicely now that the load is distributed perfectly.  Of course I have to pack my bag a certain way now, but that is a small price to pay for sweet long distance hiking.

I would look for a little gear shop (better than MEC) for someone to take a look at your suspension system and outfit for your body and load.

I hate to bring this thread back, but It's better than starting a new one.. I've searched all over the interenet and especially this forum but could not find my answer..

I am going to start going for walks with a rucksack to prepare for BMQ. I went down to an army surplus and they have 2 types... generally the same thing, except one of them has a metal bracket attached the the rucksack that sits on your back and waist and shoulders... its about 5lbs... and the other one has no metal brack but just a big fat cushiony lowerback/waist support that goes around you...

which one would be best to train with in preparation for BMQ?

Thanks, and I apolagize if this has been answered.

you don't need to BUY a rucksack to practice train for a BMQ.

1) they will issue (loan) you one when you need it.
2) you won't really accomplish much by humping a ruck around prior to the course.

save your money, save your breath

work out, work on your cardio, work on your arms & back - pushups & situps.... go for repetitions more than pushing the limit on weights.

Ok sounds good. And by them loaning me a rucksack when I need it, do you mean when I start my course, or prior to the course if i wanted to train with one?

I just though it would be a good idea to throw 50lbs in there worth of blankets and stuff and go for a 10km walk in the hot weather.. I mainly just wanted to get used to humping one around...because well - I know Im going to say it again, sorry  :-[ -but because im just a little guy  :-\  but if you say just train cardio and my other basic workouts, than I'll continue running and doing situps, pushups and situps. That should cover everything, Im assuming. I just wanted to prepare for the back pain and the leg / other miscellanious muscles I might be missing during my workouts.

Thanks for your reply.

when you are kitted out with your uniform, they will provide one, at no cost, that you will keep and use, to your heart's contentment ... till you decide to retire / go your own way

FWIW, there are no real back pains.  work on your abdominals & your stomach muscles will help support your spine which is supporting your ruck.

face it,  the CF believes in gradual training, they will NOT take you out on a 13 Km ruck march on the 1st day @ work.  The troops will gradualy be brought up to the standard.  Also, the 13 Km is scheduled to be completed in 2 Hrs and 20 something minutes..... that is a lot of time.  There are no prizes to complete the march in a shorter period of time.... also, you are supposed to be "fit to fight" when you get to destination - not bagged from doint the 13 Km in 1 Hr 10 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back