• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

armchair said:
The first too become a POW??????????

Yup, well close enough.

Cpl Creighton was one of six men left behind when the 1st Div made it's temporary foray into France after Dunkirk in 1940. One died, of his wounds and Creighton and the other five were taken Prisoners. The other four however escaped and Creighton had the dubious honour of being the longest serving POW in WW2.

OK who was awarded the first medal for gallantry in the Cdn Army during WW2?

On the tank, it was a Sherman and when mounted with rockets it was called ""Calliope" . The first unit so equipped was the Coldstream Guards.

whiskey601 said:
What was the type and name given to a tank in British service in WW2 equipped with two  twin rocket launchers and which engaged the enemy for the first time in 1945. What was the name of the unit that was first equipped with the tank?
The Sherman V of the Coldstream Guards had field modification done in late 1944 these were 60lb taken from Typhoon fighter,also some
Sherman VC were fitted it does not seam that any units did it . This from page 131 British and American Tanks of World War II( Peter Chamberand
Chris Ellis)

redleafjumper said:
On the tank, it was a Sherman and when mounted with rockets it was called ""Calliope" . The first unit so equipped was the Coldstream Guards.
Rocket Launcher T34 (Calliope) was a 60 tube 4-6in rocket mounted on frame above the turret   
.page125 British and American Tanks of WWII

The adjutant replied: "I have been commanded by Lieut.-Col. Fred Lister, C.M.G., D.S.O., M.C., the last commanding officer of the 102nd Battalion, 'North British Columbians,' to inform the authorities of this Church that be has repaired here today upon his return from the Great War with the colours of the Battalion, and desires admission to prefer a request that they be deposited here."

Sound good?

Sapper Earl, it would seem you have a copy of the same book that I do.  The answer is correct, if a bit late!  This next question should be a reasonably easy one:

Who is credited with being the first to broadcast "Lili Marlene" on the air so that it was heard for the first time in Britain, Canada and the United States.

redleafjumper said:
The adjutant replied: "I have been commanded by Lieut.-Col. Fred Lister, C.M.G., D.S.O., M.C., the last commanding officer of the 102nd Battalion, 'North British Columbians,' to inform the authorities of this Church that be has repaired here today upon his return from the Great War with the colours of the Battalion, and desires admission to prefer a request that they be deposited here."

Sound good?

Sapper Earl, it would seem you have a copy of the same book that I do.  The answer is correct, if a bit late!  This next question should be a reasonably easy one:

Who is credited with being the first to broadcast "Lili Marlene" on the air so that it was heard for the first time in Britain, Canada and the United States.
[/quote
Was it Marlene Dictrich?????????

Still no response on my question on who was awarded the first gallantry medal in WW2 I see. Hey I make them hard to test your knowledge, not how fast you can type something into Google. ;D

I didn't notice the gallantry medal question, but I will see what I can dig up.  Are you including MID in the award?  Did you wish to specify which of the gallantry awards you are referring to?

As for the Marlene Dietrich answer, No.  I would re-emphaisze that I am asking for the first broadcaster, not the first performer.

Not including MID and no I won't mention the award that would be too easy.

Okay.  Was this what you were looking for?  My run through the gazette didn't help, so I used this: http://www.airforce.forces.ca/hist/ww_2_e.asp

LAC KM Gravell
The RCAF's first George Cross was awarded in November 1941, to Leading Aircraftman (LAC) K.M. Gravell, a wireless operator-air gunner undergoing training at Calgary. LAC Gravell, despite serious injuries, which proved fatal, gallantly endeavoured to rescue his pilot from the blazing wreckage of their crashed Tiger Moth Aircraft. His gallantry and self-sacrifice were recognized by the posthumous award of the George Cross.

Nice try but I did say Army and it was a year and ahalf before this. ;D

James what do you consider a Gallantry Award? I know of at  least two men who were awarded BEMs for their actions during or immediately after Air Raids in Britain. In one case concerning the Calafornian Pub a Plaque was put on the outside wall after the pub was rebuilt. John's brother took part in the dedication ceromonies.

I found a good web site on the song (http://ingeb./garb/marleen.html) but no answer to the question So I'm going to say
Lorne Green of the CBC was the first on the Allied news people to bring it home.

Hmm, I really must start reading a bit slower; I missed the "army".    As for the response on the first allied broadcast of "Lili Marlene"
Lorne Greene of the CBC is not correct, but it is a very close answer.

redleafjumper said:
Hmm, I really must start reading a bit slower; I missed the "army".    As for the response on the first allied broadcast of "Lili Marlene"
Lorne Greene of the CBC is not correct, but it is a very close answer.
I well give it one more try Matthew Halton of the CBC

redleafjumper said:
Sorry Armchair, it's not Halton either, but don't give up, you are very close.
CBS's Edward R Murrow on his newscast (This is London)

Ok at work now but I will post the answer tonight when I have access to the book I found it in. One final hint, this question is related to the earlier one I posted. 8)

Back