• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

R&Q at public expense

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maniac779

This post is regarding R&Q at the public expense.

Sometime during the summer of 2008, a friend and myself will be entering into a mortgage together. My intent with regard to this is to start building equity in real estate as early as possible. I will not be residing in the residence with my friend, but my name will be on the mortgage and as such, I will be paying monthly toward that mortgage. We will be making no money from renting to tenants.

Around the same time, I will be posted to Moose Jaw for BFT. I intend on living in the shacks there. As I understand it, if you are currently paying toward a mortgage or rent elsewhere, and can provide evidence as such, you are entitled to rations and quarters at the public expense.

1. Is this interpretation correct?
2. Do I need to be on course to take advantage of this? (Can I hypothetically live in the shacks when I am on Squadron for free?)
3. Where can I find the reference?

Thanks a lot.

If you purchase an investment property without intending to occupy it I do not believe you would be entitled to R&Q at public expense.  Merely paying a mortgage is not sufficient; you must be maintaining financial responsibility for a primary residence.

If this friend is your legal spouse and will be living in that property you would have an entitlement to R&Q at public expense.

At the end of the day.... there is no free ride.

Free R&Q is for those, as dapaterson has stated, who already own, live in, and maintain a primary residence that they will become seperated from due to CF comittments.

I'm not so sure that you qualify given the circumstances.

Edited to add: The CC here is pulling up the definition ...

I appreciate the responses.

I definitely see the logic behind the points being made.

So, let me add a caveat.

Let’s assume that when I buy into this residence, I declare it as my primary residence with the intend of residing there when not under daily obligation by the CF. (on leave, Christmas, etc.)

Do those facts affect this situation at all?

Maniac... at one point in time, once you are posted, the CF will expect to move you, at crown expense to your "home base".  They will expect that house to be put up for sale - at that point, you will be either expected to buy or rent .... that house will no longer be a point for someone to consider.

Agree 100% with Geo.

If you declare the house as your principal residence and choose not to sell it when you get posted, your choice releases the crown from any responsibility as they are in turn no longer the cause of separation from it.

As geo also said "there is no free ride".

Finclk/Geo,

You two are absolutley correct I am sure.

However, up to the point where I am posted and get that move at the crown's expense, I can declare another residence, to which I am paying for and separated from, as my primary residence?

Thanks.

maniac779 said:
Finclk/Geo,

However, up to the point where I am posted and get that move at the crown's expense, I can declare another residence, to which I am paying for and separated from, as my primary residence?

Thanks.

If your plan is to officially state that the one you have talked about below is your primary residence (ie the one that your reside in), you'd better be residing in it plain ans simple. Else, don't be surprised, upon audit etc, if you are nailed for fraudulent claim. This goes beyond the CF as well, you are now also dealing with implications on your income tax.

And, if you are brand new into the CF sytem and it's trg, don't be surprised either to find career ending actions being discussed if the above should occur. If you don't live in it as a primary residence ... it isn't your primary residence.

maniac779 said:
Finclk/Geo,

Thanks.

If you are awaiting BFT now, then the system already has on file the residential address that you have declared to them already. It would be the last addy showing up on your 10 years worth of addys fro security clearance purposes. You want to change it to another addy ... you'd better actually move into and live in that new addy.

Now if he was PRes it may be a different story I think. ie on contract away from home.

I am not sure to this BFT term.. Battlefield Fitness Test?  ???

BFT = Basic Flight Training.  Sort of like an MSE Op QL3, only for pilots... only they won't be qualifed at the end of it, unlike an MSE Op.  >:D

If the BFT is an actual posting (vice TD, Attached posting, etc..) then the only way they're going to foot your R&Q is if you go on IR...which isn't going to happen unless you have a spouse you're leaving back home. Basically, the CF isn't going to decide to cover your living expenses so you'll have more money to invest, if that were the case then they'd have to do so for everyone!

Points made and understood.

Alas, it seems this is not to be.

Well, can't blame me for ambition...  ::)

My apologies for thread necro

I'm having trouble understanding the net result of this thread. Do I need to have a spouse living with me to get my R&Qs back?

I'd like to move out on my own in Kingston once I'm done phase 1 - ie living on the economy. Can I get them back if I'm renting an apartment/house with friend? I've also been told that if the PLQs aren't full, because I don't *have* to live off base, I won't be entitled to get my R&Qs back - is there any truth to this? And lastly, does it matter if I'm not fully trade qualified? The trade I'm transferring to takes a loong time to get trained in, so it's a serious concern for me.

Thank you for any information you may have.

They are called PMQs, not PLQs (thats a Junior Leadership course).

Kingston eh? What trade/school are you going to?  If its CFSCE, then I'd say, unless things have changed, you will have to live-in until you finish your QL3.  Married members could request to live out of SQs if they moved their families up ( I have a buddy who is ATIS who did just that).

As for free R & Q.  The way I understand it is:

- if you are not storing your HG & E at public expense, and you maintain a residence at your enrolment location and are on a restricted posting (ie, in the trg system and not posted yet), you should not pay quarters.

- if the above is true, and you are married, common law, etc and you have a dependent (IAW with CF defintion of a dependent) at the location, then you should get free Rations as well.

Not knowing the details of your situation, its hard to say for sure.

However, if you were charged for SQs and you shouldn't have been, you should be entitled to that $ back.  You will need whatever documentation that is requested by the OR staff to prove/verify you maintain a residence, have a dependent, whatever the situation is.

Remember to not piss off the clerks. 

Not to mention, if you are entitled to free R&Q and there are rooms on base, they are usually what you get.  Often times you don't have the choice to move out.

From the DCBA Aide Memoire:

2.2 Rations and Quarters (R&Q)
Members shall utilize R&Q when they are available as determined by the Base/Wing Commander.

I'm awaiting paperwork for MOC reassignment into Comms Research, so yes CFSCE. However, I have (second hand) information that due to the length of time it takes to get trained in said trade, I may/will be allowed to live on the economy after Phase 1.  I'm single and have no dependants - I'm basically trying to figure out if, assuming I am given permission to live off base as I have been told I will, I'd still have to pay R&Qs if my marital status doesn't change.

This is all very confusing frankly =\

Confusing?  Your posts are confusing.

I think I have figured out what you are asking, though.  If you move out on the economy, R&Q will no longer be deducted from your pay.  Make sure you budget accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back