• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCEME

soldierapp

Inactive
Reaction score
According to the news today, the Air Force and Navy are returning to their old "Royal" designations.  In future we will have a Royal Canadian Air Force and a Royal Canadian Navy, a return to the pre-integration titles.  I'm all for it.

However, there's no mention of the Army in this re-designation and I think the EME branch is being given the short end of the stick on this.  In '69 we were renamed from the Royal Canadian Electrical and Mechanical Engineers to Land Ordnance Engineers.  Worse than that, we lost our hatbadge and got a piece of crap that featured a Wankel piston, of all things.  Eventually, LORE changed to Land Electrical Mechanical Engineers (LEME), and finally in the '90's, we became EME.  At that time we were given the current hat badge that featured our beloved Hector the horse. 

I'd like to think that someone in a position  to raise the issue will propose a return to RCEME for our branch.  It's only a small step, but it would put us back into the same club as our British (REME) and Australian (RAEME) cousins.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

There's a lot of Branches in the same boat, and it would be prudent to return all of the Royal designations to those Branches who lost it. Just with the CA/RCN/RCAF change, it would be fairly cost neutral.

PuckChaser said:
There's a lot of Branches in the same boat, and it would be prudent to return all of the Royal designations to those Branches who lost it. Just with the CA/RCN/RCAF change, it would be fairly cost neutral.

I'd be pretty happy with the return of RC Sigs. It may seem useless to some, but IMHO there'd be quite a difference between branch pride and Corps pride. I imagine it's the same for any of the Branches.

Beadwindow 7 said:
I'd be pretty happy with the return of RC Sigs. It may seem useless to some, but IMHO there'd be quite a difference between branch pride and Corps pride. I imagine it's the same for any of the Branches.

We just need a couple CWOs to champion it.

I think the same would apply with RCEME, a few Snr Appointments get ahold of this and it will go places. Slowly, but go places.

soldierapp said:
However, there's no mention of the Army in this ...
Actually, Land Forces Command has been renamed the Canadian Army.  So, there was mention.

PuckChaser said:
We just need a couple CWOs to champion it.

I think the same would apply with RCEME, a few Snr Appointments get ahold of this and it will go places. Slowly, but go places.

I'm with you on this, but I wouldn't count on the CWOs to help you out too much.  In the RCN at least, some of the senior CPOs and flag officers were the most vocal opponents of the change.

Unfortunately at my rank level, I can't very well email the Director of Signals for the CF.... or can I? I know there are a lot of new CWOs that would probably do the same as your chiefs.

Back