• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP officers told not to wear symbol depicting ‘thin blue line’

Humphrey Bogart said:
They need to buy new pistols and fast.  The Sig225 is absolute garbage as is the Browning mostly because they are old and have been put through the ringer.  It would be nice to have a pistol you know won't have a stoppage the minute you pull it out of the holster.  Sig226 is fine but for how much longer they are made remains to be seen.

Sig is also in financial difficulty and has recently closed their plant in Germany leaving just their American plant open.  No guarantee Sig will be a safe bet for any sort of pistol replacement.

As for requirements, double action or striker fired please.  The Browning is really unsafe when compared to a Glock or Sig.

Isn't the US plant pretty safe considering the US Army just awarded them the contract for the M18 (320)?
The modular design would also be an asset in terms of user fit, as well.

Humphrey Bogart said:
They need to buy new pistols and fast.  The Sig225 is absolute garbage as is the Browning mostly because they are old and have been put through the ringer.  It would be nice to have a pistol you know won't have a stoppage the minute you pull it out of the holster.  Sig226 is fine but for how much longer they are made remains to be seen.

Sig is also in financial difficulty and has recently closed their plant in Germany leaving just their American plant open.  No guarantee Sig will be a safe bet for any sort of pistol replacement.

As for requirements, double action or striker fired please.  The Browning is really unsafe when compared to a Glock or Sig.

I know ardent defenders of the Browning will tell you it's not the pistol it's the mags but I don't think that's 100% accurate. I've bought high end Browning mags at over $80 a pop and they jammed right along side the issued stuff. I've also recently seen new (lets say previously un-issued) Brownings issued with cracked parks.

The RCMP union might want to consider drawing a line in the sand over their issued pistols while they're fighting the patch fight.

Jarnhamar said:
The RCMP union might want to consider drawing a line in the sand over their issued pistols while they're fighting the patch fight.

Oh, believe me, they’ve been all over that and other major health and safety issues for a while. Most of the real work on major issues is happening quietly in the background.

Brihard said:
Oh, believe me, they’ve been all over that and other major health and safety issues for a while. Most of the real work on major issues is happening quietly in the background.

Be careful picking the hill you want to die on.

While I understand the memberships' stance on the patch, its not part of the issue uniform as far as I know. As a former member of the CAF I can also understand the institution's stance on this as well.

Brihard said:

Are you saying you want to come over and shoot my Glocks and Sigs so you can staff up some fancy pants report? I'm game :)

Hamish Seggie said:

While I understand the memberships' stance on the patch, its not part of the issue uniform as far as I know. As a former member of the CAF I can also understand the institution's stance on this as well.

Perhaps the institution should stand behind it's members, and authorize a subdued, standardized patch for wear. Doesn't need a flag, just the TBL on a black background or something.

Or they can just continue to piss their rank and file off. I guess that's the more politically and socially acceptable option.

Jarnhamar said:
I know ardent defenders of the Browning will tell you it's not the pistol it's the mags but I don't think that's 100% accurate. I've bought high end Browning mags at over $80 a pop and they jammed right along side the issued stuff. I've also recently seen new (lets say previously un-issued) Brownings issued with cracked parks.

You know that I'm a huge fan of the Browning HP. I've shot the sued ones for years.  I own one and have put thousands of rounds through it and only suffered one broken part (extractor).  That being said, it's time has come (heck, it's time had come when I joined!)  It's still a great pistol and, in properly trained hands, can be very effective.

The Americans went to the Sig and the Brits went with Glock, all in a space of less than a decade.  Remember how long it took to get the CAF out of OG107 and into CADPAT?  That record still stands and has to be broken by the pistol procurement project.

Haggis said:
You know that I'm a huge fan of the Browning HP. I've shot the sued ones for years.  I own one and have put thousands of rounds through it and only suffered one broken part (extractor).  That being said, it's time has come (heck, it's time had come when I joined!)  It's still a great pistol and, in properly trained hands, can be very effective.

The Americans went to the Sig and the Brits went with Glock, all in a space of less than a decade.  Remember how long it took to get the CAF out of OG107 and into CADPAT?  That record still stands and has to be broken by the pistol procurement project.

Cough Maritime Helicopter Project cough...

SeaKingTacco said:

But you eventually got your whirlybirds.  I was told over forty years ago that we would have American M9 pistols by 1985.

Haggis said:
But you eventually got your whirlybirds.  I was told over forty years ago that we would have American M9 pistols by 1985.

It was a plan to avoid the problematic M9.  Well-played Canada! :nod:

For the off-topic record, P320 is very nice (although I’d actually like the HK VP9)

SeaKingTacco said:

Is it correct to say that Canada went it's own way with the Cyclone, and ignored the tried and true options already in NATO service? Was it that none of the other options met the legitimate requirements of the MH community, or were their other factors at play?

Makes me wonder if we will ignore the examples of others, and "go our own way" when it comes to a pistol replacement.

reveng said:
Perhaps the institution should stand behind it's members, and authorize a subdued, standardized patch for wear. Doesn't need a flag, just the TBL on a black background or something.

Or they can just continue to piss their rank and file off. I guess that's the more politically and socially acceptable option.

Or maybe instead of a stupid piece of meaningless flair they can just support their workers properly?

Honestly don't understand why any cop would want to wear a TBL patch after it got tainted through association with a bunch of different white supremacists groups in the US (and in Canada to a lesser extent). Even if that's not the intended meaning, it really doesn't matter. A union patch that incorporated it might be different enough, but on it's own it is still a giant F U against any reconciliation effort.

Navy_Pete said:
Or maybe instead of a stupid piece of meaningless flair they can just support their workers properly?

Honestly don't understand why any cop would want to wear a TBL patch after it got tainted through association with a bunch of different white supremacists groups in the US (and in Canada to a lesser extent). Even if that's not the intended meaning, it really doesn't matter. A union patch that incorporated it might be different enough, but on it's own it is still a giant F U against any reconciliation effort.

It is a valid point and despite TBL being around much longer it is one of those societal wedge issues that has percolated up from our Southern neighbors an tainted its original good intentions.

Hamish Seggie said:

The law is on the union’s side courtesy of PSLREB case law (out of CBSA, actually) on members wearing a sign of support for their union.

This is obviously an issue that is of value almost entirely for its symbolism- but things have gotten bad enough that the symbolism of the (brand new, don’t forget) standing up for members in a way this organization hasn’t seen before matters. Management picked a fight that allows the union to back members and to flex some labour law that works in its favour- and also to fire a shot across management’s now about making pronouncements without consultation. That’s a big part of the issue here.

The patch issue is minor in its own right, but it’s a proxy issue for bigger stuff.

Brihard said:
The law is on the union’s side courtesy of PSLREB case law (out of CBSA, actually) on members wearing a sign of support for their union.

That being said, some of the accoutrements provided for us to wear are ill conceived and look quite unprofessional. The fact that they are all NDP orange doesn't help portray an apolitical stance.

You ask if its a hill worth dying on.....that question can also be asked of management.  For the first time some of them may have to account for decisions that are made only to piss off the good men and women who want to do the best job possible.
I know another organization who could use a helping of that....

Jarnhamar said:

The first time I held one of our Brownings was in 1981. before I put the mag in, I gave a little wrist wiggle shake. It rattled like two BBs in an Altoids tin. I was not encouraged for my first time using a cool guy gun. I happily went back to my C2.

Haggis said:
That being said, some of the accoutrements provided for us to wear are ill conceived and look quite unprofessional. The fact that they are all NDP orange doesn't help portray an apolitical stance.

Oh, certainly. But what’s of interest to NPF is the legal ruling, not the orange shoelaces. Nor are we talking SPVM clown pants here.

Brihard said:
Nor are we talking SPVM clown pants here.

Made them look foolish. The taxpayers care about response times. 

Brihard said:
Oh, certainly. But what’s of interest to NPF is the legal ruling, not the orange shoelaces.
I'm not a huge supporter of our union after how they showed their disdain for veterans.  On the union "colours" issue, while crossing back into Canada my wife remarked that the union patch that the BSO was wearing looked unprofessional and the patch  sent the wrong message ("I keep guns out of Canada - with or without a contract.")

Brihard said:
Nor are we talking SPVM clown pants here.
I remember those.  Completely over the top.

I work with two former SPVM officers who spoke often about the power of their union.

Back