• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RE: Firemans Carry

• Thread starter Thread starter Iltis
  • Start date Start date
Old Ranger said:
Of course all this Carry/Drag stuff could be avoided if you had Armour roll up an "level" the threat.
Then we could just drive up in Ambulances ::)

Ya, I know STFU zipper head :D

Hey, why not - Scene Safety = Winning the Firefight, right?

MM

medicineman said:
Hey, why not - Scene Safety = Winning the Firefight, right?

MM

Nothing says scene safe better then a whole lot of firepower and no enemies left ;D

Having live bad guys adds that whole extra degree of difficulty the Russian judges just love and I dislike somewhat ::).

MM

And you guys are the Medics...how bada$$ are the frontliners?

Oh ya, I started the level thy enemy bit ;D

Hey, I like my job, but as I always tell my young Padawans, we always get to have fun, but always at some poor soul's expense.  I don't mind working, but am happier when there is a dry spell.

MM

medicineman who was it that said "a busy day for me, is a bad day for everyone else" ?

My shift in Sick Kids today was one - bit of a change from getting slammed the last week or so.

MM

medicineman said:
My shift in Sick Kids today was one - bit of a change from getting slammed the last week or so.

MM

That my friend is a GOOD thing.

medicineman said:
But how can I learn anything though  :crybaby:? 

MM

Hmmm... good point... I don't know  :-\

Through a book?!  ;D lots and lots of pictures  ;)

My BIQ saw us doing "casualty PT" which was basically running with loaded stretchers and dragging casualties...no fireman's carry at all.  I found it was easier to transport someone heavier than me quicker than a fireman's carry, and "firing" my weapon was somewhat easier.

But that..."sling" for casualties.  ;D  I like to call it that casualty leash!

medicineman said:
I'm presonally more in favour of a drag - as mentioned earlier, much easier to do when someone is kitted up, it's somewhat safer, especially over uneven ground (I"ve dropped and been dropped because some smart *** decided to make us do it on a snow covered field that had a lot of ground squirrel dens) - not all that safe to have someone battle loaded fall on you because you twisted your ankle or hit a rut or couldn't see where you were going.  Forget the injuries to people's backs I've seen - and these are fit people - from doing fireman's carries.  Most frefighters won't do it with a dead weight casualty now - they drag them or do a two rescuer carry if they have to.  I used to teach people if they had to do a fireman's carry, they should de-kit the person as much as possible to give them a fighting chance of geeting them up and on- not easy when they have the tac vest and frag vest combo with strike plates, since they get a bit stiff.  However, I do find it most preferable to doing the leopard crawl with the poor slob on my back - that not only hurts the elbows, but is really tiring.  The only plus is the casualty can be used to protect you... ::).

MM

With regards to Fireman carry or a Drag.... my Chief came back from his big Chief briefing just after Christmas and he tells me they are seriously looking at replacing it with the Drag...it is more practical and as was already mentioned ....picking someone up in the thick of things is impractical and highly dangerous to both persons...I guess though one will do whatever they will to save there buddy, I would....time will only tell if and when they finally institute this Drag over fireman policy ....until then we are stuck with it.

Old Ranger said:
I can't remember the site, but I've see drag slings setups available. One type wasthat you wear one that can be attached to the person dragging you. Picture showed dragging and shooting. I'll try and find link.

http://www.narescue.com/Category.aspx?SID=1&Category_ID=140

And there it is, with a new picture

I hate to be the party pooper but that doesn't look as "effective" as it looks "cool".  Has anyone actually played with one of these to see if it really works?  I am trying to imagine a real PersCas, the average troop dressed in all the fixins' (how much weight on average) being drug across a surface by this thing.

I have been on ex were the officer leading the attack (infantry officer; not bashing just pointing it out) had us fireman carry the troops who the WES kit said were injured/dead  through the woods, over uneven ground to the extraction point.  It only accomplished many a head ache for the troops being carried (they were wearing helmets), and sore backs for us troops doing the carrying  ::)

IMO the fireman carry should be replaced with a drag carry

GEO, your just plain mean ;D I find it easer to grab on to the drag handle on the Tac Vest then grab someone by the ankles  :cheers:

A point to the drag....it's not as easy at it looks. It took 2 fairly strong individuals to drag my "carcass" to the CCP when we were on ex in Louisiana.
Mind you I'm a bit of a fat f***!!! (If I offended anyone....apologies)

Hmm.... you've lost your girlish figure OS?

hi geo, fraid so!! :( that's OK I look OK for a....military senior citizen?  (anyone 45+ years of age)

Back