• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Real Speech Impediment (Not stutter)

There will be time where you will be asked what your name is and you will not know, nevermind how to say it properly.

CDN Aviator said:
There will be time where you will be asked what your name is and you will not know, nevermind how to say it properly.

not sure exactly what you mean by that, but i think i need to just suck it up. ultimately, the staff is trying to help me, so they won't pick on me or make a deal out of my speech.

If you're the Marching NCO and need to give a "Right turn," just give three "Left turns" and you'll be fine.

Withers said:
not sure exactly what you mean by that,

That you will have much bigger things to worry about than what anyone might say about your speech patterns.

CDN Aviator said:
Ha ha! So true!

Withers said:
i understand that i just dont know whats going to happen when they suddenly find out i cant even pronounce my own name.
You will likely have a newfie on your crs who can not pronounce ANYTHING, let alone his own name.. Seriously, stop fretting.
Withers said:
... but i think i need to just suck it up. ultimately, the staff is trying to help me, so they won't pick on me or make a deal out of my speech.
Finally..

Withers said:
still having mixed thoughts but i for sure want to enlist.

Trust me, you won't be having second thoughts 20 years from now if you don't enlist.  The only recurring thoughts you will have?

- Could I have done it?
- Why didn't I just do it?
- Why didn't I at least try it?

etc. etc. etc.

YOU want to do it, so YOU make the choice.

Now....as for your speech impediment.  If you're really concerned  about it, possibly book a consultation with a speech therapist.  You might be like my youngest daughter.....you know what word you are trying to say, you know what it should sound like, but your brain tells the wrong muscles to move to make that sound.  Know what that means?  Retraining....practicing exercises and retraining your body to do what YOU want it to do.  Perhaps your parents might even have some kind of medical benefits through work that you might be able to access for this.

Regardless....you'll be able to do this.  Trust us....speech will not be your weakness.

Here's some inspiration for you:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20021003/james_earl_jones_021003/

You'd never know otherwise unless someone told you this about him.  Good luck.  :)

thank you for the reply. i dont think speech therapy will help, i wonder if it would, though? when i was little i was tongue tied, and they basically had to snip a bit of my tongue off. im no doctor, but do you think that could contribute to the speech impediment? i also took school speech sessions in public school.

Sigger said:
You will likely have a newfie on your crs who can not pronounce ANYTHING, let alone his own name..
Come on now. ;)
Once you understand that "H" is a silent  letter things are much easier to understand.

Back