• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Red Bull Stratos Jump - 14 Oct 2012

Sig_Des

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
The balloon is up, and the live feed is here:

http://www.redbullstratos.com/live/

If you're not aware of what it is, 37 Km Freefall, with an attempt to hit Speed of sound

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/baumgartner-begins-stratospheric-ascent-in-bid-to-break-sound-barrier-1.995072

Good call.  :nod:

I've had it on for about an hour now and didn't think to post the link.

Looking to break three records:

- Highest parachute jump (previous record 102, 000 ft)

- Highest speed in freefall. Baumgartner is hoping to break the speed of sound.

- Highest altitude for an balloon (previous record 112, 000 ft).

The first two records are presently held by Col (ret'd) Joseph Kittenger who is part of the Red Bull mission control team. The last record is from the sixties (the Red Bull commentary just mentioned the team, but I missed most of it).

Thanks for the link.  Enjoying listening and viewing the live link.

Sportsnet is broadcasting live, he just broke the world record for highest manned balloon flight, at something around 113000 feet.

Balloon holding at about 37,200. Looks like the jump is going to go!

Edit: NM, looks like it'll be even higher than planned!

The buffering I've been experiencing in the live feed is bloody annoying.  :mad:

Missed the world record for free fall though....

And he's on the ground!

Sooo....What color wings do you put up when you jump from space?

That was pretty amazing.

Beadwindow 7 said:

You get to punch any other parachutist, military or otherwise, in the throat and call them pussies.

The wings, well, have the words "f**k you" in the middle.

The last 8K ft were ok.  That's nice, but I would have much preferred to have the smooth viewing at the checklist, egress and jump.  :(

I agree with B7 it was nevertheless a spectacle.  I'll bet that's a record that won't easily be broken.

CDN Aviator said:
You get to punch any other parachutist, military or otherwise, in the throat and call them pussies.

The wings, well, have the words "f**k you" in the middle.

Random Jumper - "I have 6000 jumps, how many do you have?"

Baumgartner - "Only 3000....but one was from space"

Jumper - "...."

Edit: CTV News is reporting that He did indeed break the sound barrier

Stream had him at 729 mph before he broke the dive and started to slow down. Thought something was wrong at first, he looked like he was spinning very quickly. That man has balls, scary as hell just from the camera view.

Aside from being courageous, that was absolutely spectacular to witness.  He went through some crazy tumbling too.!
My hat is off to you Mr Baumgartner..... :salute:

Beadwindow 7 said:

That was pretty amazing.

il_fullxfull.317252760.jpg

I watched the whole thing, from lift-off to touchdown.  Amazing!  I'd always been fascinated by the story of Col Joe Kittinger's jump and it was really nice to see Col (retd) Kittinger as the voice of mission control. And I'll bet there was some silent satisfaction that one of his records (longest time in freefall) withstood today's challenge.

Congratulations to Felix Baumgartner.

NBC tonight is reporting that he hit over 800 mph or more precisely Mach 1.24

The video of him leaving his little capsule ship thing is sick. Like good sick. Wow! Balls of solid rock  :salute:

That was pretty amazing to watch.

In case you missed the jump,  here's the lego reenactment  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFU774q6eVM   

Back