• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Refusing work due to safety precautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tannerthehammer

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering say you are in the artillery and you are doing a "salute" fire, it's my understanding that they don't allow you to wear hearing protection...Would you be allowed by law to refuse to do this because of the possible hearing damage you would get?  I know in civi jobs there is a policy that you can refuse unsafe work...Would this fall under that category?

Try some foam ear plugs, they don't stand out like ear defenders. I would tend to think that if a supervisor had any common sense at all they would make sure that something was worn to protect hearing but, thats just my opinion.

Gramps said:
Try some foam ear plugs, they don't stand out like ear defenders. I would tend to think that if a supervisor had any common sense at all they would make sure that something was worn to protect hearing but, thats just my opinion.

Ya but I doubt just simple ear plugs would give you the protection you need...I go to the range and fire my small arms with just ear plugs and I find that isn't enough sometimes...

That would be a big NO. I have fired salutes and never had anyone tell me I could not wear ear plugs. Likewise, I have never told anyone that they couldn't wear ear protection on my gun (salutes or not). Before you choose to respectfully decline an order on the grounds it may be unsafe, you better be darned sure you have followed all the processes laid out for you. You will soon learn all these military policies and procedures.

It doesn't matter what Civvie policies and processes say - you are not in a civilian occupation when you are firing a howitzer!!! At least last time I checked they hadn't armed the cab drivers in Ottawa...  ;D

Don't worry - I was on the gunline for 3 straight years, then mortars, and never had a hearing problem. Still don't. (well, maybe a little - M109s were freaking loud)

Good luck.

"ya gets what ya pays for" Cheap earplugs don't help a lot. Ballistic plugs with over-pressure valves cost more - but work perfectly. Spend the money....

B-GL-381-001/TS-000 - Training Safety

Page 1-94, Para 2.a.:

Ear Plugs. All personnel engaged in training or administrative duties on live fire ranges must insert foam earplugs. These plugs will be worn as a minimum protective device when firing practices are being conducted, including the firing of blank artillery ammunition.

Figure 1-6: (Sheet 5 of 8 ) Hearing Conservation Summary
Maximum Daily Exposure (MDE) Rates

C1; 105 mm Howitzer Towed (other 105 mm guns not separately listed)

MDE for layer, multiple weapon situation (i.e., data base on weapons 40 m apart):

Without protection - 0
Ear Muffs - 7
Ear Plugs - 66
Both - 167

Figures for Loader and Det Commander are higher for all forms of protection but there is no allowance for firing without any protection. There is also no specific allowance for reduced protection because you are firing blanks.

so does this mean that you would be able to wear both ear muffs and ear plugs when firing blank ammo?

Yes, you could. But it also means that the safety manual states that ear plugs alone are sufficient and your superiors can limit you to the ear plugs without contravening regulations, if they decide that ear muff protection is unsightly.

I personally think that is awful....I understand the fact that it may look unsightly but in my eyes a permanent hearing loss of even 1 db is bad enough to warrant having proper hearing protection....

tannerthehammer said:
I personally think that is awful....I understand the fact that it may look unsightly but in my eyes a permanent hearing loss of even 1 db is bad enough to warrant having proper hearing protection....

What are you going to do if you go into battle and you don't have ear-plugs, Princess?   Considering you've got zero time on the gun-line and are being told by others who have that you'll be fine, the correct response would have been "thanks for answering my question - your first-hand experience is valuable in helping to put aside my unfounded fears."

(PS, here is a plug recommended from guys returning from the Sandbox - do what pronto suggests and invest: http://www.aosafety.com/aosafety.com/shooters/products/ear_03.htm)

Infanteer said:
What are you going to do if you go into battle and you don't have ear-plugs, Princess?   Considering you've got zero time on the gun-line and are being told by others who have that you'll be fine, the correct response would have been [/b]"thanks for answering my question - your first-hand experience is valuable in helping to put aside my unfounded fears."[/b]

(PS, here is a plug recommended from guys returning from the Sandbox - do what pronto suggests and invest: http://www.aosafety.com/aosafety.com/shooters/products/ear_03.htm)

WOW......i think that says it all............took the words right out of my mouth  ;D

Infanteer said:
What are you going to do if you go into battle and you don't have ear-plugs, Princess?   Considering you've got zero time on the gun-line and are being told by others who have that you'll be fine, the correct response would have been "thanks for answering my question - your first-hand experience is valuable in helping to put aside my unfounded fears."

Well as of now I'm not in battle so I am gonna do all I can to protect myself...As for listening to others with experience I can respect that but they are not medically qualified practitioners who know....And as for being unsightly, I belive it should be more of a focus on safety and less on fashion....

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure  ;)

And incase you didn't know, anything over 85 db can result in permanent hearing damage and to give you an example:

a car backfiring is over 100 db :-*

(OFF THE EARPLUG WEBSITE) Remember, noise-induced hearing loss is 100 percent preventable by properly using earplugs and/or earmuffs regularly. A rule of thumb is that when noise is loud enough that you need to 'raise your voice' to be heard at a distance of three feet or less, you are risking long-term hearing damage. It is recommended that hearing protection be used when the noise level around you meets or exceeds 85 dBA.

Type of Gun Peak Sound
Pressure Level
.44 Revolver 170 dB
45 Automatic 165 dB
M-16 160 dB
.357 Revolver   160 dB
12 Gauge Shotgun 155 dB
.38 Revolver 150 dB
.22 Rifle 145 dB

tannerthehammer said:
Well as of now I'm not in battle so I am gonna do all I can to protect myself...As for listening to others with experience I can respect that but they are not medically qualified practitioners who know....And as for being unsightly, I belive it should be more of a focus on safety and less on fashion....

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure   ;)

Its rather simple yet you still dont understand:

People here have told you that the Cf have deemd the issued ear plugs to be providing adequate protection on the gun line.  Therfore if you are ordered not to wear earmuffs and use ear plugs, it is a legal order with which you will comply.  if you are not prepared to follow a leagl order...find yourself a new profession.

tannerthehammer said:
As for listening to others with experience I can respect that but they are not medically qualified practitioners who know....

I can already tell you are going to have a great time on your recruit course.... ::)

tannerthehammer said:

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure   ;)

Yes it is but before you start saying these guys are not qualified to answer your questions you should really give your head a shake.
1) Most of us go through extensive safety briefs and training
2) Equipment issued has to be approved by the CSA
3) If you feel we are not qualified to answer the question then why ask it here?
::)

Ex-Dragoon will think i'm psychic but...... (ESPN)

i smell a lock  ;D

You truly are a clown if you are already thinking about ways to contravene orders before you even join up.

Give your head a shake - and if it falls off, kick it around a bit - that would be a more effective use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back