• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffon said:
On what do you base this statement?  I would think it foolish for the CF to not consider whether or not an applicant has a civilian qualification pertinent to the occupation they are applying to; it shows that the applicant has relevant skills/experience and should therefore have a higher probability of success in the desired career field. 

But with that being said, a civilian license hasn't been and is not now a requirement for application, and it's only one relatively small piece of the pie.  Of course, that could be the piece that means the difference between being selected and not, so it definitely doesn't hurt.

That statement's probably based on the fact that those with previous flight experience are no more likely to pass then those who don't.

On my primary and wings courses the people who failed were the ones with commercial ratings.

Strike said:
That statement's probably based on the fact that those with previous flight experience are no more likely to pass then those who don't.
On my primary and wings courses the people who failed were the ones with commercial ratings.

That's actually quite interesting to see.  The research paper I read from the DRDC regarding CAPSS showed a strong correlation between flight experience and performance at CFASC (that's not to say you need the experience to pass; I passed with minimal flying time).  Is it a fact that those with civie time are not more likely to pass Phases II and III?  Or would it be more accurate to say that there is no guarantee that they will pass?  There's a big difference between those two statements.

As for selection for PLT, my PSO suggested that if I were to not be picked up this year it may be in my best interest to log some hours to strengthen my application.  That tells me that previous experience can in fact play a part, and I have never seen anything in the past that would lead me to believe that this is a recent development.

But that's just what I have experienced, I could be wrong.

As for people with civilian licenses failing the military courses, I have heard of this issue before.  Some things are apparently done differently in the two environments which may provide some difficulty to those who have already developed habits from their civilian flight time. At least so I have heard from personnel who have gone through PFT with a PPL, so please take it with a grain of salt.

I am 23, was living in the US and hadn't been in school for a few years.  After High School I went to Civy U and did not do very well at all.  I took a few classes here and there over the next few months and applied to RMC.  I was accepted with no problems pretty early in the selection process, and am doing very well (through 1 semester any way).  It is not entirely based on your grades, but who you are as a person (i.e. volunteering, job experience, interview, etc.)  Put in your application, and see what happens.  If you are not accepted this time around you should be told what was wrong with your application, just change it and apply again next year. 

Good Luck, maybe I'll see you in Kingston this fall.

They might send you too RMC. St. Jean for a pre-selection year too see if you have enough mental discipline and fortitude. That's what I had to do before being excepted at RMC.

Racho said:
I Definitely went to ACS in Trenton and passed that. I also passed all the medicals in Toronto and was offered ACSO, but was not offered pilot.  I guess I'm wondering about having to do ACS again...

Did you have to take the ACSO test in order for them to offer you pilot or were you offered it just because it was your 2nd choice?

You might be waiting a bit for your answer. That post was from last July and the user hasn't been active since last August...  ;)

Just do your best and apply to RMC, or has been suggested, apply to do ROTP at Concordia if you're already there. And I'm not sure about the deadlines you were told for RMC application - I was told in February that I had been accepted for the fall term (I had applied in November), so I'm thinking May is really really late to get an application in by. I'm about to graduate (36 days to grad, woot!) and am 38 and an ROTP cadet. I did not apply under the "mature student" category (I didn't even know that existed at the time), I just applied and got in. Mind you, my grades for high school and other universities were good, plus lots of overseas experiences and languages helped. If you really want RMC, keep your grades up at Concordia and apply next year if you are too late to do it this year. But, as has been suggested, you should check out which courses you will/will not get credit for. It depends on your program as to what you will get credit for. You will have to do first year all over again (even if you do get some transfer credits, as RMC is not just about the academics, and this is especially true for the first years), and then you may have enough credits to skip some mandatory or elective courses, making your courseload lighter in later years. I was able to skip a year entirely, but I also had 19 transfer credits, and it took about 6 months to figure out if I could skip and how to go about it (it happens very rarely here, usually only with CEGEP students). So, good luck! :nod:

Wow, I haven't been on here in over a year. Forgot about it all to be honest. Just an update on my situation...

I just reapplied this year but didn't have to actually do anything other than take the ACSO exam (which I had never done) and submit new marks from university. I was offered ACSO and took it this year, which after more research have decided it looks like a dandy position. I got into RMC for Aerospace Engineering as well.

To clarify a few things that I have learned: 1) You can apply and deny ROTP as many times as you like, as I was offered a position after declining last                  year...
                                                                    2) There was an error in my original application and I was offered ACSO by accident, as I had not complete the ACSO exam. I did take it this time and passed it just fine
                                                                    3) You do not need to take the ACSO test to go to Trenton or to become a pilot. It is completely unrelated.

I think that kind of covers what was asked in this post.

Nice to be back on here. I still have to find out when I actually start at RMC and all information about that.... But I guess that's for another topic haha.

When I was in Trenton for Pilot selection they advised me that previous experience has no pull in the application process.

I'm just passing this along based on the information given to me by the flight instructor there.

Hey, I am hoping to get into RMC in a couple years to become a Helicopter Pilot and I had just a couple questions (sorry in advance if I repeat already posted questions, I searched the site and could not find anything about this)

What sort of classes do you take if you go for Pilot? Same as Aerospace Engineer?

Also, is there anyway to ensure I make it as a Helicopter Pilot, not Transport or Fighter?

Thanks for taking the time! ;D

Thommy

As for your first question - mostly all degree programs are acceptable for pilot. It doesn't specifically have to be aerospace engineering.

http://www.kingsown.ca/Old%20Site/ROTP%20Quest%20Part%201_en.pdf

OK I guess I am not as  knowledgeable as I thought, do you sign up for your courses as well, or just the job you want on the application sheet? Do you get to choose your classes or do all Aerospace Engineers take the same classes, all the Combat Engineers the same classes, etc. ?
Thommy

Thommy K said:
OK I guess I am not as  knowledgeable as I thought
Thommy

Dude you'll never cut it as a pilot.....they know everything just ask 'em  8)

oops hit reply too soon

Your trade and what you major in at university are two separate things.  Some trades require you to have certain degrees, while others are fine with pretty much any degree.  Your best bet is do some reading and research here on the site and decide for yourself what degree fits your interests while still fits within the acceptable degree range for pilot.

Hi Thommy - welcome to Army.ca.

All of your questions have been answered in the Air Force sub-forum.  Use the search function and see what is out there.

Having sat as a member on a pilot selection board, I can tell you that previous flying experience, while considered as part of an applicant's overall package, is actually fairly far down the list of factors considered by board members.  ACS performance is up at the top, as CAPSS has been designed to bring to light an applicant's ability to adapt quickly to and comply fully with the required precision to fundamental elements (e.g. hdg, alt, a/s and changes to these) in a flying environment.  The CAPSS tutorial booklet that the Recruiting Centres provide to PLT candidates is about the most valuable resource an applicant could read.  Flying a flight simulator in IFR mode to mimic the sequences in the booklet would serve one well.

Imagine you're sitting on the selection board and you see the ACS results of two applicants, one with previous flying experience (say a PPL or CPL) and one without any experience.  Say the previous flyer had a habit of sitting rock-steady at 100' above or below a target altitude and 5 kts below the target airspeed, while the inexperienced applicant was +/- 40' of the target altitude with occasional excursions to +/-100' and generally on-speed, +/- 3 kts, but sometimes varying +/- 5-8 kts, but trying hard to hit the numbers.  Which of these applicants sounds like the person you think has the potential to fit well into the military? 

Whether one had previous flying experience or not, the most important factor to success is attitude...have a positive one, striving to be as accurate as possible all the time, and you should be in good shape.  Take things for granted and display an attitude of entitlement for whatever reason, don't expect to be around the flightline for long.

Anecdotally, I would say during my training overall, that those with PFE were no more likely to succeed than those without experience.  In the extreme, during my Phase 2, only 11 out of 44 trainees passed and 8 of the 11 had no PFE...more than half of the 33 failures had PFE, several with CPLs and one I recall had an ATPL.

Regards
G2G

Hey September is only 3 months away so I thought it would be about time to start a thread for people applying to ROTP starting September 2011.

So let us know whether you will be going to Civvy U or RMC, what trades you're applying for, and any other tips, questions, concerns etc.

I'll be applying in September hoping to go to RMC for Engineering. Regarding trades; Infantry Officer, Engineering Officer and I am undecided about the third choice.

I look forward to hearing from other people!

Hello there,

So I'm planning to study Chemical Engineering at RMC next year and that's all I've really decided...
Can you give me some tips on how the selection process goes because I want to know ASAP if I make the cut or not.
After reading this post over again, it makes me sound like I'm joking but I just haven't finalized everything yet, if you know what I mean.
I'm 16 right now and I'm in grade 12 next year...do you think there are a lot of people like me applying?
Thanks alot! I hope to hear from you soon.

raykwon said:
Hello there,

So I'm planning to study Chemical Engineering at RMC next year and that's all I've really decided...
Can you give me some tips on how the selection process goes because I want to know ASAP if I make the cut or not.

You won't know if you make the cut or not for probably another 9-11 months, if this year was any indicator of the time frame for ROTP selection.  It's all about how you compare to other applicants.

After reading this post over again, it makes me sound like I'm joking but I just haven't finalized everything yet, if you know what I mean.
I'm 16 right now and I'm in grade 12 next year...do you think there are a lot of people like me applying?Thanks alot! I hope to hear from you soon.

Yes.  It's a competitive process (like any other entry path into the CF these days) with more applicants than spots.

As far as particulars for the process....this forum is already full of information.  Read through the entire ROTP 2011-2012 thread and you'll see what kind of a year most of us ROTP applicants had while we applied and waited...and waited...and waited.
You'll also see much discussion with regards to how to make yourself more competitive in the selection process.

Good luck.

Just finished reading more than half of that thread, it's SO LONG!

Are you, by any chance, in the ROTP Program? If so, do you think that they will even consider me if I have a slight lazy eye?
my vision is 20/50 and I'm terrible at range because it's my right eye...

I have no idea of the procedures that they undertake in the medical examination and that is why I'm asking.

Hope you understand.

^This is the only information that I couldn't find in the forums, by the way.

I don't want to be like other people in this forum that post all their qualifications and expect someone to tell them that they are, for sure, accepted. I'm positive that the actual recruiting centre can deal with all that business.  ::)

And I read to the end of the 2011-2012 post and realized that you actually were accepted to RMC.
CONGRATULATIONS JWTG! I envy anyone who made it past that rigorous selection process.

Also, I wish everyone like me applying for the 2012-2013 year best of luck as we open this thread further!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back