• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-RMC 2000 - 2018 [Merged]

• Thread starter Travis Silcox
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
buck13 said:
Anybody doing reserves while at civvy uni and then planning on applying to ROTP once you've graduated? That's my plan right now. Took my CFAT and was told by my file manager that I would had good potential as an officer.

I've been in the reserves for a year now, and put in my CT/OT roughly 3 weeks ago. Got an email back confirming that they had received it, they sent my MPRR to update and bring back to my OR, and am now waiting for further updates.

I applied before I finished high school for ROTP, but was not selected, so decided to join the Reserves, and would reapply again when I felt comfortable to do so. I did a lot of thinking, and the Reserves definitely helped me out WRT figuring out if this was for me or not, and it definitely is.

I decided it was time to push through, and so submitted my CT.

I have a friend who did the same thing for this year. He had a year in for the Reserves, and a year of Engineering done. Put in his CT last November, redid his interview in January, and found out in May that he was going to RMC. I'm hoping the process will be similar for me.

hi guys! soo i wanna become a pilot in the rcf. i know that ROTP is quite competitive, so i have a few questions i wanna ask. im currently in gr11, and my skills:
in gr 10 my average was 86%
fluent in korean and english(still taking french)

xtra curricular:
VCISS instructional youth tutoring (voluntary)
senior home volunteer work
air cadets
Rotary interact (over 100 hrs of voluntary leadership hrs)
MODEL UN
Bronze medallion (working towards life guarding)
Kendo for 2 yrs (lvl4)
Playing drums

im thinking to gettig my pilot license from power in cadets if i can.
i do wear glasses, i know they allow some kind of eye surgery now.
how would i compare to other competitors? i can do 19 push ups fairly easily and got 10.8 on the beep test.thanks

http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/101484/post-1056381.html#msg1056381

So why are you posting the basically the same post again and again?

Milnet.Ca Staff

Ex-Dragoon said:
http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/101484/post-1056381.html#msg1056381

So why are you posting the basically the same post again and again?

Milnet.Ca Staff

i didnt think the previous one rly answered my Qs, but more of jokers. plus things changed a little. would u prefer it if i deleted my last post or?

On the physical side of things:

I think you may be referring to the EXPRES test standards surjl0827. The RMC physical standards in comparison to the Expres test is found at this link: http://www.rmc.ca/ji-ir/ji-ir-c-eng.asp Although I think that still you do the Expres test at some point in your Officer Cadet career; of course I could be wrong though.

surjl0827 said:
i didnt think the previous one rly answered my Qs, but more of jokers. plus things changed a little. would u prefer it if i deleted my last post or?

i wud perfer u posted wit gooder spellin n grammer.

Seriously though, you shouldn't use msn speak on this site or you'll end up receiving a whole lot of nasty from the mods. Posts also look a lot better with proper capitalization and grammar. Jus sayin'  ;).

You won't be a pilot in the CF without perfect uncorrected vision. Unless things have changed since I looked into it last, laser eye surgery is still a no go for prospective CF pilots.

m.k said:
You won't be a pilot in the CF without perfect uncorrected vision. Unless things have changed since I looked into it last, laser eye surgery is still a no go for prospective CF pilots.

You are incorrect.

surjl0827 said:
i can do 19 push ups fairly easily and got 10.8 on the beep test.thanks

And 19 pushups is the absolute bare minimum if you are a male under 35. 10.8 on the beep test doesn't exist but if you meant 10.5 then it is fair result and the minimum level to get an exemption on the run portion.

The bare minimum will not get you very far in any CF career path. 

My apologies. I did the research I should have done in the first place. Time to read more and post less!

hmm well i checked the site out and im not so sure how many laps 10.8 would be. and i can do 30 pushups and maybe more until i cant go on. im not sure about all these grip tests and all.
what are the bare minimum to pass the medical exam on entry? i can definately improve on both areas if i tried.

First step in being an officer: learn to write in proper English! (Or French.)  Seriously, you may only be in Gr 11 and are just thinking about a career in the Royal Canadian Air Force but I can assure you that poor writing skills will be a severe impediment in both successully gaining admission to RMC/ROTP and as an officer.  Start developing the proper writing skills now and you will be ahead of the curve.  This may be a private, unofficial board but remember, you are seeking to be taken seriously by professionals with years of experience.

surjl0827 said:
Hi guys!  So, I want to become a pilot in the RCAFI know that ROTP is quite competitive, so I have a few questions I want to ask.  I'm currently in gr. 11, and
in gr. 10 my average was 86%.  I am fluent in Korean and English (still taking French)

Extra curricular:
VCISS instructional youth tutoring (voluntary);
Senior home volunteer work;
Air cadets;
Rotary interact (over 100 hrs of voluntary leadership hrs.);
MODEL UN;
Bronze medallion (working towards life guarding);
Kendo for 2 yrs (lvl4); and
Playing drums.

I'm thinking to getting my pilot license from power in cadets if I can.
I do wear glasses, but I know the CF allows some kind of eye surgery now.  How would I compare to other competitors? I can do 19 push ups fairly easily and got 10.8 on the beep test.  Thanks.

Okay, first things first.  Take a quick look at the orange text.  That is the kind of thing that if I were a member sitting on an ROTP merit board (again, hint  ;) ), would make me put your application in the "look at these applications again only if there are not enough good first round applicants" pile.

No matter which classification you would like to apply to the CF for, communication skills are a very important element of officership.  Best to start out early in a (potential) military career on a good footing, so I would recommend that you practice written communication skills by using proper spelling and grammar. 

Now, on to the pilot aspect.  A bit of searching in the recruiting thread using "pilot" "ROTP" and other related search terms will net you a wealth of information and perspectives ranging from applicants, to Officer Cadets currently in the ROTP, to junior and senior officers involved in RCAF operations.

My own suggestion would be to not worry about taking flight training unless you can do so under the Power Scholarship program in Air Cadets prior to the summer that you would, after acceptance to the ROTP at RMC, be required to attend initial recruit training.  The other activities are good to have under your belt and show well-rounded activity in your community.  The last bit of advice is to keep working on your schoolwork to ensure you keep your grades up.  Your Grade 11 marks (and your Grade 12 first term mid-terms) will be critical to a successful application.

Good luck.

Regards
G2G

Thanks guys, this post gave me more answers than the previous one. I'll apologize for my "BAD" English, I am on the internet and writing with an iPhone is annoying work. I'll make sure I fix this. Also, I forgot to ask about 3 additional things;
1. What's the difference between the CF EXPRES test and the other one..? (I forgot the name). I heard that it was a standard difference?
2. I heard that although pilots are given choices to pick their preferred aircraft (Heli, Fighter and Cargo), they are given aptitude tests and are assigned according to the results. How does this "Aptitude Test" work?
3. How does the medical exam go?

This time I wrote on my laptop so the "Engrish" should be better. Sorry about the crappy English, I got lazy with my iPhone.

surjl0827 said:
1. What's the difference between the CF EXPRES test and the other one..? (I forgot the name). I heard that it was a standard difference?
Exactly as you said.  The CF Expres is a test of a certain level of physical fitness and the RMC PPT (Physical Performance Test) is a more difficult test with different standards.  Using Google to search 'RMC PPT standards' I discovered the following link (it was the first hit).  http://www.rmc.ca/ji-ir/ji-ir-c-eng.asp  You could probably have done the same in less time than it took you to post your question here.

The one thing I will say is that CF Expres and RMC PPT pushups are probably not the kind you do in your room.  They are very particular about form, and any pushups done that do not comply perfectly with the prescribed form will not be counted.  I'm sure anyone who has ever done a CF fitness test has seen people fail because they do 20-30 pushups, but only get counted for a few of them.  You will find, at the aforementioned link, a reference to the correct execution of pushups in CF fitness tests.

Good luck.

Thanks, that cleared a few things up. isn't army push ups 90 angle with ur elbows with arms shoulder wide?

surjl0827 said:
Thanks, that cleared a few things up. isn't army push ups 90 angle with ur elbows with arms shoulder wide?

On the right side of the page that jwtg links you to, there are many "Annexes". These are just sections of the joining instructions page; they have a wealth of information and it would benefit you if you read through all of them. One of those Annexes is clearly labelled, "Push up programme", http://www.rmc.ca/ji-ir/ji-ir-h-eng.asp It is a page dedicated to improving your push ups and makes sure that you do them in proper form. Take a look. I'm sure that page will answer your question.

Got a call today for an ROTP interview and medical (current medical expires in January) to take place on 17 November. Time to educate myself on what it means to be a leader. :camo:

edit: I suppose I will add this in.

Recruiting Center: CFRC Oshawa/Peterborough
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (ROTP)
Trade Choice 1: Military Police Officer
Trade Choice 2: Infantry Officer
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Officer
Application Date: ROTP - 10 October 2011
First Contact: 11 October 2011
Aptitude: Complete (Officer qualified)
Medical: Booked 17 November 2011
Interview: Booked 17 November 2011