• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Released as a Corporal (Reserve) and re-signed as an Officer Cadet (In reserve)

jflegare

Inactive
Reaction score
I asked my administrative office at my unit, but even them can't give me a straight answer..

I fully released as a Corporal in a reserve unit in 2009.
I then re-enrolled as a commissionned officer (Officer-Cadet) at this same unit in 2011.

I have received some equivalencies about my qualifications (since I did a basic leadership course in 2009), so this is great.
I asked the what should be my salary from now on and no one have tha same answer

My question is : What should my pay be ?

There is three options in my mind (and to those I asked):

1- The saying that "you cant have a lower salary except if you get a demotion" tells me that I should get paid as a corporal even if I am an ocdt.

2- I could be paid the normal ocdt salary but get paid second lieutenant B salary (130-ish instead of 103-ish) after I get promoted.

3- Or since I left the forces, I start from scratch...

I looked in the DRAS publications
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/doc/204-05.pdf

I think that the articles 204.52 are related to my situation (more precisely 204.52(8)) but I can't get it straight...

If anyone could enlight me, I would be really thankful

JFL

I think the issue stems from your having been released. The argument about pay parity would work if you didn't have broken service. As such, I would think you start at the bottom again.

You start at the bottom of the pay scale.  If you had gone from Cpl to officer while still serving, then yes your pay is protected.

The best you are going to get is some time credit toward promotion and maybe your BMQ and some other courses written off.

Where you were out for 2 years there may be room for your pay rate to be determined based on your prior service rank level.  Many entry plans have the "with no former service" and "with former service" split. If you read through the CBI's for determining pay levels it does mention periods of release over 5 years do not count.  If you are at the bare bones basic level for OCdt and I were you I would submit a request for a verifcation of pay level.  I would request this verification be done by Ottawa.  Worse case is you will remain at the level you are at.

Paid as a Cpl would be vested rights and I do not believe reserves have that anymore.  They instead set the pay rate to an equivalant officer level.  At least that was the plan back around 2006.

Thanks for the replies!

I will send a request for a verification of pay level, but as the other two said, I could well stay at the bottom of the ladder.

Heh, it's worth a try I guess :)

Thanks for your time

JFL

Found this thread when searching and thought I would add my info as well for others that might be in a similar situation.

I had 8 years of reg force time when I released. Just under 2 years later I re-enrolled though ROTP and will be an OCdt receiving OCdt basic pay. I was told if I were re-enrolling as a NCM that I might be able to keep my old pay grade but since I will be going from NCM to Officer I would be starting from the bottom.

Perhaps I'll submit a verification of pay anyway. Like CountDC said, worst case scenario, I remain at my current pay.

The info in my previous reply turned out to be incorrect. I have my posting message now and it states I will be receiving my former NCM pay grade while serving as an OCdt, I checked with the OR as well and everything looks good.

Back