• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Repaying Allowances

George Wallace said:
Max

Let's not start confusing "paid" service with "service towards a CD" which has no connection to pay.

GW, I'm using the CD requirements to try to clarify the not-so-clear definition of "period of service".  The definition should be the same regardless of the context (CD, pay, reserve time, etc). 

The original CBI did not mention "paid" service, so we cannot fault the member for not interpreting the rule that way.

Vern,
Your friend may have a case.  As long as she didn't transfer to the sup list before transferring to the PRes (which is very common practice) and transferred during a time when the CBI read "period of service".  The transfer to the Sup is considered a break in service and as such triggers the pay back.  When I did my transfer I was very clear with both the release section and the new unit that I was transferring directly into the PRes. 
Max,
Thanks, I think you've done a better job explaining the rules than I did.

Don't know if it was this particular case, but the qualifying time for service after MATA/PATA leave has been changed according to CANFORGEN 142/09:

AT REF F, THE OBLIGATORY PERIOD TO BE SERVED ON COMPLETION OF MATERNITY/PARENTAL LEAVE HAS BEEN AMENDED TO READ QUOTE A PAID PERIOD OF SERVICE UNQUOTE AND IT IS RECKONED IN PAID DAYS, EFFECTIVE 1 JUN 09

Back