• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Co-op enrollment 2014-2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay thanks, Im really hoping I can get in this so I can do SQ during the summer!
I am grade 13 so college is next year for me, so I Will not apply again to the co op

So I got into army co-op and my enrollment is on the 15th of February, and I'm pretty psyched  ;D

I was just wondering, what should I expect from the ceremony? What I mean is, how long it usually takes, what type of attire to wear, etc.
Thanks.

I plan on for my 4 credit co-op class, taking a program offered by my local reserve. I remember reading here here that there is a small bit of money to be made,is this universal with all co-op programs? The website makes no mention of any sort of pay.

I plan on taking the program either way, it would just be better if I made money on the side.

I apologize in advance if this is a "stupid" question.

Yes, Co-op programs in the Reserves are paid positions.  You will actually be enrolled in the CF as a Reserve Force soldier to participate.

You can find reserve pay rates here:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/ps/pay-sol/pr-sol/rfncmr-mrfr-01-eng.asp

Lucky guy.  When I was in high school, paid hours COULD NOT count for co-op hours...

jwtg said:
Lucky guy.  When I was in high school, paid hours COULD NOT count for co-op hours...

That's still the rule, the ONLY exception is this

Hello there, I have a lot of respect for you guys and well I recently applied to the Army co-op but unfortunately  I did not get in. This is not a question thread more like a tool to help high school students with any questions about the Army co-op, because it took me weeks just the find the faintest smudge of information about this co-op. Well anyway like it or not here is the information. Oh yes one last small thing this co-op is only open to infantry only and possibly navy I say this with uncertainty.

Faqs about the co-op
-You get paid by the day not the hour(I heard its like 20$ a day or something I can't find any info about the wages of a co-op student in the army)
-This is for infantry so yes you may shoot a gun
-I know for my area GTA if I made it I would have to drive to Toronto every day to get their by 8 am or whatever due to that being the only training base around.
-This is 4 credits no exceptions. (One important snip of information you can only take this co-op second semester so if you get your co-op first semester like I did rush to your GC and change it asap)
-You have to be 16+ to attend this co-op
-This is basic training not advanced infantry training
-I heard that if you do well or average possibly they will offer you a guaranteed summer job (I have no information about this)
-You may go out of province for some days
-This is the one of the only paying co-ops out there
-This has got to be the best co-op out there, because its gives you a taste of the life in the military.

Lets start with this: You just found out that through whispers that there is such a thing as co-op that pays you and lets you be in the army too what joy!! Now where do you get started?? Well I found out about this through some channels I can't even remember, but as soon as I did I went straight to my Co-op teacher and told him. He then had a crazed look about them him and well I guess he wasn't to thrilled for a high school student to go to the army and possibly die (His thoughts not mine). Well anyway he agreed and then pulled out a booklet and called the nearest base (Brampton Amory for me) and set up a appointment for me to get some answers.

So in short as soon as you find out about this co-op proceed to your guidance counselor and or co-op teacher this is very important (As explained later)

So me and my buddy of mine went to base and the guy gave the bare bones of it all and told us about the application process, we were ecstatic about this because this confirmed what we heard rumors about and they were all true. He then directed us to the nearest recruitment center (Mississauga)

We went to the recruitment center and they handed us pages among pages of forms (This part we were not happy about, but it is understandable) So we went back to fill it out with the help of our parents and guidance counselor (You absolutely need the help of the guidance counselor for some the forms its a guaranteed) Once we were done this we came back to hand it all in. Before I go on I would like to add this

You 100% need to bring this stuff in with the completion of the forms
-Photo Id with your signature (Drivers license, passport) No health cards
-Birth certificate
-School transcript (Go to the main office in your school and ask for this)
- Every single form/box/line sign and or  completed in some way shape of form I cannot stress this enough

The next step the tests (Scary huh)
We then schedule the C.F.A.T

Some tips about the C.F.A.T
-You see that sample test of the Canadian forces website? well its 5x harder then that
-Brush up on your math if you are bad at it, grade 9-10 math to be more specific
- This is all done on a computer just a fyi
- and stay calm and relaxed its just a test that you can only take twice and may or may not build the road to your future military career

Then they scheduled this fitness test next week.
Fitness test
Do you know how long it took to me to find the minimum reps you have to do to pass?
It goes like this
1.They measure your heart rate by walking up and down some small steps
If you fail do not worry (That means your your heart rate is to damn high)
2.Grip strength, Now I think this part may or may not matter but if you fail the heart rate you need to get 90+ score combined to move on.
3. Situps standard situps 19+
4.Push ups 19+
Now if you pass all of this you get to move on to the interview and standard check up by a doctor both are really standard so do not worry.

Oh yes if you require glasses in any way you must bring your prescription (What type of glasses you wear) paper with you.

And you are done congrats!

Wow a lot to take in now let me tell you my mistakes with this application process
1. No photo Id with your signature, I was lazy did not get my license  till a day before I required the photo Id. This means get your license asap, and no my passport was also out of date and it would take a week to get it.
2.Well lets just me and my buddy's forms were in bad shape we had to spend 10 minutes in front of the guy fixing it, lets just say he wasn't to pleased.
3. I was not ready for the C.F.A.T and I was told I barely passed (Laugh all you want but for some one my age this stuff scares me with all the pressure)
4. I was late for everything no not the appointments, I was late to to start the applications process I started in September and ended in November because of my incompetence and procrastination, hell I didn't get those forms from the guidance counselor till a week later. But this is my fault , you are applying to the fricken army so get your shit in line and be smart about this stuff I just wish some one would have slapped me and said that stuff to me

On the side note here are some tips:
You can start this process as early as June or July in that case do it because here are some figures
1000's of students apply for this co-op and I heard they take in 200 or so kids, well let me correct that during my process they cut that by half so that leave 100 slots open.
Out of those 1000's of students maybe 75% will start the process ahead of you leaving you in the 25% where you start the process late. Now ever hear of the early bird caught the worm? Well it goes without saying those other birds caught every friggin worm leave you with a empty stomach. Worst part is they wont tell you this, they will just make you go through the pain staking process  and it isn't their fault they don't know when the slots are filled they only find out at the end of the year.

This is like applying to a job wait it is applying to job they pay you so beef up your resume, do you do some form of martial arts? put it on! Did coach soccer or be the team captain for a sports team? put it on! Most importantly you need I am going to say this again you NEED at least 3 references for the paper work .

You have to be in shape for this process run jog lift weights, no matter what you do you have to be in shape for this whole co-op. This is not for the weak, they assume you are in peak physical shape already and need not get you there.

If you started the process early, you passed the C.F.A.T, passed the fitness and interview, then you should get call by December from the base you will train out of to pick up your uniform and to swear you in. Good luck.

Thanks good luck to all! If I am missing anything comments thanks!
-

Today I just finished my testing for the Sept COOP @ CFRC Toronto.
I was qualified all trades :D

just wondering how long it will take to receive a phone call regarding the swearing in ceremony    :salute:

Wow, I never even knew this program existed, and I've been in for 20yrs. 

Congratulations for those who pursue this.  It sounds like you guys are very excited about this and that's great.  At that level, enthusiasm will be the most important character trait you can possess.

Good luck!

Some things I'd like to point out:

Co-op is not open to just the Infantry (maybe it is in the GTA, I'm not sure) Other units may be offering a co-op but it all depends on the individual unit. You need to go around and talk to the units and your guidance counselor to see what all is available.

Also the rate for private is not just $20 a day. You get paid for the full day, going in 5 times a week and occasionally on weekends to.

Since it is basic training, regardless of trade, you will learn how to operate and fire the C-7 rifle. On BMQ-Land (formally called SQ) you will use the C6, C9, grenades and learn about the M72.

With regards to a summer job. If you pass BMQ and BMQ-Land and chose to remain in the military you will go on to your applicable trade training for the summer. It could range from a few weeks to a few months depending on your trade.

When I went to the base in Brampton he handed me me a sheet with all the bases around the area and what they offered in co-op, think I should attach a image? Well anyway I wanted to do combat engineer and filled that out as my first choice and picked something other than infantry for my second choice, when I handed the forms to the guy he kind of looked at me funny and said that this co-op is for infantry only, so I got conflicting stories on that part but yes it never hurts to ask. But you have more experience then me so Ill take your word for it. Regarding Zhao and Paul, Zhao I would assume they will try calling you asap the latest being in December to pick up your stuff , Paul I don't really understand your question to me it reads (Should I just go into the CF through the CFRC or go to co-op then fully enlist)  Now to that questions is this answer that may or may not be confirmed by members of the CF. Joining the CF is a competitive process so if you can do co-op do it, especially if you are aspiring to go to CF fully once you graduate high school. But if you want to join the army as a officer then it might be impossible to do the 4 credits in Grade 12 and go to university to get your degree, and then join the army as a officer due to the  prerequisites to get into university. In that case you can only do this co-op in grade 11.

Ok for one thing when you are sworn in to the CF before you start your co-op you are "fully in the CF".  There is no half way.  Also the Armouries in Brampton belongs to my Regiment The Lorne Scots, which are an Infantry Regiment, so doing the co-op throught The Lorne Scots, you can only do it as infantry, or in rare cases an EME, RMS Clerk, or Supply Tech

Great post, it's good to see others try to get the word out about this program, especially to those who are still in High School. I would imagine that this co-op program would give a good sense and understanding to those who are thinking of pursuing the Canadian Military as a profession.

I myself went through this process and the only thing that held me back was location.

Basically, the unit that conventionally holds the co-op in my area (The Royal Hamilton Light Infantry (Wentworth)) decided to stop hosting it for the 2011-2012 year. My luck eh? But good news came, and it seemed that the RHLI unit in Hamilton, not Burlington, was hosting it this year. But alas, I did not end up applying there, simply because there was too much of a risk that I would have to transfer to another school district.

Needless to say, I was bummed out. But since I am going into Grade 12 this September, I decided that I would apply to RMC and see how it goes from there. My original plan was all laid out; I would get into the co-op program for at least a year, maybe get my BMQ or something, and then apply to RMC which would ultimately be in my favour seeing as I would have that military experience.

I know numerous others who are older than me who have gone through this program, all saying that it is quite an experience. If you are considering applying for the co-op program, go for it!

Is it still possible to do army Co-op even though my highschool isn't in the GTA? And I also read somewhere that it is only possible to do army co-op with the 32nd Brigade. Does anyone know if that is true or not? I am asking because the nearest unit to me is the Ontario Regiment in Oshawa and they are part of the 33rd Brigade.

As far as I know the co-op is available throughout Canada, instead of just asking on the forums you need to track the phone number for the nearest base or cfrc near you and give them a call they are really helpful.
Here is the base locator
http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruitmentcentre-110
That is how I confirmed that the co-op was still going on (due to me hearing a rumor it was cancelled) I tracked down the nearest base (Brampton for me) and asked.

http://www.employerregistry.ca/L/Haltonen/Programs/SpecialtyPrograms/CanadianForcesSpecialty/tabid/572/Default.aspx

www.schooltocareer.ca/reserve/forcespromo.ppt (PDF file, make sure your computer doesn't suck before you open this)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/77104.0

All this stuff should help you with any questions. The best people to ask questions to however are your school guidance councilors and recruiters.

Haha Canada94, the first two links you posted refer directly to the program I was supposed to enter.. small world  :p.

As you can see with the first link, they cancelled it for the South Halton because RHLI didn't want to host it in their Burlington Armoury anymore :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back