• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Infantry Training

nsmedicman

Inactive
Reaction score
How is reserve infantry training provided these days? I am re-enrolling into infantry from another MOC. I work full-time, and will unable to take a great amount of time off during the summer. Do the home units provide a certain amount of training during the year?

I have not heard of any DP1 infantry course being run in any way but full time (5 weeks).  It's a good idea to check these things out before occupational transfer!  Note: there may be a reserve brigade out there somewhere that runs a weekend DP1 Inf but I doubt it.

From what I know (at least for 34e Brgd Grp) there is only full time summer BIQ courses. The course is non-modular and 4 weeks long (with or without weekends off, depending). Basically unless you can get 4 weeks off, you'll be SOL. Although you could inquire with your COC if they can split the course in two, two week modules, but I doubt it.

I explained to the recruiter that I work full-time, and that while I can get some time off during the summer, five weeks for infantry training was impossible. He assured me that any training that I needed would be provided by the Bn, and I wouldn't have to take time off during the summer, other than for exercises. He told me that courses are being offered during the training year, especially for people that can't get time off in the summer for whatever reason. I mean, sometimes recruiters don't give the whole truth (I have been lied to by one or two before). Why would one not tell me the whole truth, go through the process of a re-enrollment and a OT, then to see me not trained, get PO'd, then quit in a year?

nsmedicman said:
I explained to the recruiter that I work full-time, and that while I can get some time off during the summer, five weeks for infantry training was impossible. He assured me that any training that I needed would be provided by the Bn, and I wouldn't have to take time off during the summer, other than for exercises. He told me that courses are being offered during the training year, especially for people that can't get time off in the summer for whatever reason. I mean, sometimes recruiters don't give the whole truth (I have been lied to by one or two before). Why would one not tell me the whole truth, go through the process of a re-enrollment and a OT, then to see me not trained, get PO'd, then quit in a year?

I'm calling shenanigans on that one. I've NEVER heard of a reserve infantry course not being run as a straight four week course. BMQ and SQ, yes, but not DP1 infantry. The recruiter definitely does not know what he's talking about in this particular instance.

I don't want to offend anyone, especially recruiters. Do recruiters receive any incentive for the numbers of new members that they manage to bring into the CF? What other reasons would they have to either lie or somehow skirt the truth?

I've never personally seen weekend BIQ's (and would be completely against them anyways!) and am in close contact with most the training in my area and there has been no mention of switching to a weekend BIQ format. It is one of those courses that requires the consequtive field time to gain the most of the course. My 2cents I guess.

nsmedicman said:
How is reserve infantry training provided these days? I am re-enrolling into infantry from another MOC. I work full-time, and will unable to take a great amount of time off during the summer. Do the home units provide a certain amount of training during the year?

I remember hearing of the Army of the West running some sort of weekend QL3 infantry/BIQ course at one point, but I think it might have been a one-off, because it's certainly not common.  I would suggest that if you're really that strongly inclined to join, talk to your employer about making time available through a leave of absence.  Depending on the employer, they may be receptive to doing something for you.  I'd suggest getting something in writing.

how about CAP?  Any weekend CAP by any chance?  I'm pretty sure the anwer is no, but just making sure

Absolutely no chance.

The smallest increment CAP can be done in is two-week modules.  I'd recommend to anyone who can do it all at once to find a way to do so - because the cohesion you'll get it phenomenal, and by the end of it you'll have everything running so well that you'll be amazed by what your section and platoon can do as one.

Regarding the weekend DP 1 Infantry course, 38 CBG is running on in Winnipeg and serials were also run last winter in Winnipeg and Regina/Saskatoon.

However, this was due to particular circumstances and permission had to be received from DAT prior to commencing the courses.  Certainly this is not the preferred way to conduct trades training and it may not happen again.

Standards said:
Regarding the weekend DP 1 Infantry course, 38 CBG is running on in Winnipeg and serials were also run last winter in Winnipeg and Regina/Saskatoon.

However, this was due to particular circumstances and permission had to be received from DAT prior to commencing the courses.   Certainly this is not the preferred way to conduct trades training and it may not happen again.

Thank you, Standards.  I knew I had heard something about such a course.

Hey....if I had a choice....it would be to do it during the summer....same as QL2/BMQ......you are completely immersed in the environment for the entire course, and it should produce more skilled graduates....at least that's my opinion. Unfortunately, I work full-time....and my employer hasn't been receptive in the past concerning leave for military service. Most times it gets refused at the local level, before it even reaches the HR department. I won't know until I try though. Besides, I would take a big pay cut by taking 5 weeks off during the summer.

I believe that you fellas can apply to take a sabbatical for up to 6 months, at least that's what I recall one of the Guysborough medics saying. Why wouldn't EHS want you to take it? I know there are staffing issues but that's not the point. Have you tried appealing to their business side? Show them the benefits of having a Reserve Soldier among their employees, give your boss as much info as possible.

During my time in the Mo I found that my civvy employers were only guarded about amploying a reservist because they were uneducated on the matter. Once I had shown them some literature they were fine with it and always adjusted my schedule to fit my Reserve commitment.

Try asking through your chain of command for a letter from your Commanding Officer to the person making the decision at your job.  Also see if the Canadian Forces Liason Council can help you out (it's their job).

Back