• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserve Service Dress Uniform (aka "DEU") Issue

Docherty

Inactive
Reaction score
How long does it take for a Reserve to get his DEUs?  Is it after BMQ?

I would think you would be able to get your primary issue til after your SQ qualified at the bare min. Some units don't issue til MQ qualified.But I would check with your unit OR they would know the policy.

There's a new CANFORGEN out on this very subject, it states that DEUs will be issued after one year. I'll post the CANFORGEN when I get to work.

CANFORGEN 036/05 CLS 005/05 181654Z FEB 05
ISSUE OF ARMY DISTINCTIVE ENVIRONMENT UNIFORM (DEU) TO RESERVE PERS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. 5250-1 COS ADM(HR-MIL) 1 FEB 05
B. CF SCALE OF ISSUE D01-102 (ARMY - BASIC CLOTH REGULAR AND RESERVE)

1. IN THE PAST MONTHS, NUMEROUS DEMANDS HAVE BEEN MADE TO CHANGE THE POLICY SURROUNDING THE ISSUE OF ARMY DEU TO RESERVE PERSONNEL. CURRENT POLICY RESTRICTS THE ISSUE OF ARMY SERVICE DRESS UNTIL MOC/QL3 QUALIFICATION IS REACHED FOR PRIMARY RESERVE NCM.

2. AFTER CONSULTATION WITH NUMEROUS DND AGENCIES SUCH AS ADM(HR MIL)(REF A), A CONSENSUS WAS REACHED ON THE ISSUE OF THE ARMY DEU TO RESERVE PERSONNEL ENTITLED TO IT. POLICY HAS BEEN AMENDED AND PARA 7 OF SCALE OF ISSUE D01-102 (REF B) NOW READS AS FOLLOWS: SERVICE DRESS ITEMS OF CLOTHING SHALL NOT BE ISSUED TO PRIMARY RESERVE NCM S (WHO WEAR THE ARMY UNIFORM) PRIOR TO COMPLETION OF ONE CALENDAR YEAR OF SERVICE AFTER THE DATE OF ENROLMENT.

3. THIS POLICY CHANGE WILL BE EFFECTIVE ON RECEPTION OF THIS MSG AND IT IS HOPED THAT IT WILL ALSO SERVE AS A MEANS OF RECOGNIZING THE INDIVIDUALS COMMITMENT TO THE CF.

4. INITIAL KITTING ORDERS ARE STILL TO BE DONE THROUGH BASE SUPPLY CLOTHING STORES AS PER ESTABLISHED PROCEDURE.

5. QUERIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO MAJ GIGUERE, DLSS 3-4, AT (613) 945-7653.

Makes far more sense then their old policy, considering there's a vast discrepancy in how long it takes to attain QL3 in the reserves... some trades it can take up to 3 years, or more, others can do it in 8 months.

ArmyVern said:
After serving 2 years, the entitlement to an "upgrade" to an NDI20 kicks in.

(And, I could be wrong - it could be one year until NDI20 kicks in ... I just know that as the Det Comd in PEI, I arranged for a massive photo/fingerprinting session with the Ident folks from Gagetown coming over on TD so that we could get all entitled pers into their NDI20 from the temp IDs).

I'm not at work today to confirm the time-period, but it's given in the books.

Fairly correct.  Two years required to get a NDI 20.  One has to have a DEU Tunic, shirt and tie.  A Reservist requires completion of a QL3 Qualification or two years to get issued DEUs.  So - Two years.

George Wallace said:
Fairly correct.  Two years required to get a NDI 20.  One has to have a DEU Tunic, shirt and tie.  A Reservist requires completion of a QL3 Qualification or two years to get issued DEUs.  So - Two years.

You, too, are "fairly correct", George.  I've managed to track down the policy which states, in general terms that, unless deployed, Reserve officers are entitled to an NDI 20 upon enrollement and NCMs must have a minimum of two years service.

Secondly, the entitilement to DEU is now after one year, regardless of when DP1/QL3 is completed.

(eidted with updated information)

As a further DEU point, the one year entitlement only applies to Army reserve. Air and Naval reservists are entitled to their DEUs on enrollment.

CLOTJunkie said:
As a further DEU point, the one year entitlement only applies to Army reserve. Air and Naval reservists are entitled to their DEUs on enrollment.

They have their Logistik Unicorps Accounts set up that fast?

George Wallace said:

Access to Logistik Unicorps is a function of PeopleSoft.  Once an Army Reservist gains either a DP1 qualification OR one year of service, access to Logistik Unicorps is automatic.

CANFORGEN 196/05 sets the limits on Army Reservists. 

George Wallace said:

This is true.

Fact is, the Army sees a much higher rate of NES or release rates within the 1st year of service; and, we just don't wear our DEUs as often as the Naval and Air Forces do (what, usually once per year for us on Nov 11th??).

Ergo, the move (well, not a 'new' move given that it's been the policy since '06) to wait one year until Logistik-Unicorp kicks in for Army Reservists saves us a fortune (note that this is not applicable to Army ResF Officers - it's only applic to ORs).

ArmyVern said:
This is true.

Fact is, the Army sees a much higher rate of NES or release rates within the 1st year of service; and, we just don't wear our DEUs as often as the Naval and Air Forces do (what, usually once per year for us on Nov 11th??).

Generally, this is true, save for Army Reservists employed in/at NDHQ.  Here, WOs and above are required to be in DEU.  There are, of course exceptions, but this is the "rule".

To be precise, it's the standing orders for CFSU(O).  Of course, the dot COMs and the Land Staff, being too lazy to iron their shirts and polish their shoes operationally focussed, now wear CADPAT day-to-day.

dapaterson said:
To be precise, it's the standing orders for CFSU(O).  Of course, the dot COMs and the Land Staff, being too lazy to iron their shirts and polish their shoes operationally focussed, now wear CADPAT day-to-day.

C'mon.  Why don't you tell us what you really feel?

I would, but it's the Army Ball tomorrow night, and I really need to work on polishing my shoes...

Haggis said:
Generally, this is true, save for Army Reservists employed in/at NDHQ.  Here, WOs and above are required to be in DEU.  There are, of course exceptions, but this is the "rule".

But, WOs and above have DEUs issued because they have more than a year in. And, get  extra points from Logistik too for being at that particuar location.

It truly is a special place.  >:D

Just to clarify, Air and Naval reservists, get their DEU's issued at BMQ, just like the Reg Force mbrs, because we wear it upon graduation.

Chiefs and officers are really the only ones who wear their DEU's often, PO's and below usually wear NCD's, except for on ship.

I know we wear our DEU's pretty much only for parades (2-3 per year) and mess dinners (1-2 per year)
and yes we get access to LogistikUnicorp after we graduate.

Is there a special process to get the Permanent ID card for reservists?  always had the temp, and had to redo it.

Biggoals2bdone said:
Just to clarify, Air and Naval reservists, get their DEU's issued at BMQ, just like the Reg Force mbrs, because we wear it upon graduation.

That point is really not valid.  Do you think that is honestly the reason?  If the Army Reservists were issued DEU, they too would be wearing them on Graduation of BMQ and SQ.  It would have proven very interesting a month or so ago, when one of our new members would have been graduating BMQ in DEU's with White Jump Wings and two or three medals.

See George you got stuck on that part...but I in no way put down the Army reservists...I just said what WE did...since I don't know what the army reservists do...so get off my back.

Its a Valid point...because its a FACT, that THAT is we the Air and Naval Reserves do, up until now I didnt even know that army reservists didn't get their DEU's.

Like I said GET OFF MY BACK...you keep checking up on me, and its blatantly annoying, especially when you take EVERY single thing I say as a personal attack when all i'm doing is stating fact, to clear up the murky waters.

p.s I really don't know why you felt the need to toot your (collective army reserve) own horn with the jump wings and medals comment, since as previously stated, I in no way put them down.

Now back to the topic at hand, the VIA offer to CF and DND personnel

Biggoals2bdone said:
See George you got stuck on that part...but I in no way put down the Army reservists...I just said what WE did...since I don't know what the army reservists do...so get off my back.

Its a Valid point...because its a FACT, that THAT is we the Air and Naval Reserves do, up until now I didnt even know that army reservists didn't get their DEU's.

Like I said GET OFF MY BACK...you keep checking up on me, and its blatantly annoying, especially when you take EVERY single thing I say as a personal attack when all i'm doing is stating fact, to clear up the murky waters.

p.s I really don't know why you felt the need to toot your (collective army reserve) own horn with the jump wings and medals comment, since as previously stated, I in no way put them down.

Now back to the topic at hand, the VIA offer to CF and DND personnel

Yes, yes - get over yourself.

George is saying - quite rightly - that Air and Naval Res pers DO NOT get their DEUs simply because they happen to wear them on grad parade; that is what your post infers when, actually, it's UFI itself and is non-contributory to this thread ...

which should now be split off and all the DEU crap can be merged with the other threads existing here discussing exactly the same topic wrt who does, and doesn't, get DEUs right away.

Back