• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reserves and University.

Tape

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 17 and will be in grade 12 (senior) in high school. I'm planning to join the reserves right after I graduate from high school. I am wondering if the reserves will get in my way with university? What do you generally do in the reserves? Can you tell me what it's like if you' are\were in the reserves while you are/were in university? Could you manage your school work and reserves? The reason why I want to join the reserves is because I want some experience in the forces before I finish university and pursue my dream of becoming a pilot in the forces.  [mountie]

Seems like a good route to go. Currently I'm merit listed for Reg. Force, but before, I looked into Reserve before appling full time. From what I gathered, You serve one night a week (half day) and every other weekend (2 days), while getting paid 83 dollars per day. They enroll you in BMQ over summers, and pay for half your school tuition or 5 grand each year. When I talked to them, they seemed very understanding of my school schedule and told me I could work around their schedule (providing I put in 3 full days every two weeks). If your looking to see what the forces are like without binding yourself to considerable commitments reserves is great. Reserves will not get you in the Reg force any faster. Apply for reserves at recruiters.

I'm fairly new to this, but I hope it helped. 

SJA

Okay, I see. Thanks for the information, I'm planning to join right after I graduate high school, probably the start of the summer or some times near there.  :)

One of my university roommates made it work quite well for himself, but was only taking three classes per semester that year (he joined in his last year of university.) So, I suppose if you're not hell bent on finishing school as fast as possible, it's a good option.

Back