• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reservist as a University student - few questions

SwiftWolf said:
When joining a unit, how significant is the cultural background?

For example, if I join the Toronto Scottish Regiment, but I am not even close to Scottish, does it matter? (it is however, the closest regiment to me)

You could ask the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM).:
http://www.whoswhoinblackcanada.com/2011/02/04/kevin-junor/

SwiftWolf said:
When joining a unit, how significant is the cultural background?

For example, if I join the Toronto Scottish Regiment, but I am not even close to Scottish, does it matter? (it is however, the closest regiment to me)

We don't import Scots to join our Highland Regiments.

You won't find out until you try.

mariomike said:
You could ask the Regimental Sergeant Major (RSM).:
http://www.whoswhoinblackcanada.com/2011/02/04/kevin-junor/

Kev is no longer the RSM having moved on to bigger and better things, but the point is valid. During my tenure as a CSM in the Torscots  I had about 17 assorted ethnicities in the company and 30+ languages other than English as an extra skill. I think we even had someone of Socttish descent.  8)

CF reserve units reflect their community and the GTA is multicultural. Don't worry about this, find the unit you want to be part of and go for it.

Robert0288 said:
1)  If you apply now, chances are that there will not be any spots open on a basic training until the fall at the earliest.

When I applied I was pretty much told I would be doing weekend BMQ during the fall if all goes well.

s54w,
I'm trying to apply to 31 Engineers too, but because I'm in the Arts faculty @uWaterloo, I can't enroll as an officer, only as a Non-commissioned member. Only students who have done or are doing an engineering degree can apply as Engineer officers.

You mentioned that you are in CS, and unless it's software engineering, they wouldn't have let you apply. Or did you apply as NCM?

Also, did you check out the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada? What are your thoughts? I can't decide on the unit.

Thanks

dvaronam said:
s54w,
I'm trying to apply to 31 Engineers too, but because I'm in the Arts faculty @uWaterloo, I can't enroll as an officer, only as a Non-commissioned member. Only students who have done or are doing an engineering degree can apply as Engineer officers.

You mentioned that you are in CS, and unless it's software engineering, they wouldn't have let you apply. Or did you apply as NCM?

Also, did you check out the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada? What are your thoughts? I can't decide on the unit.

Thanks

Hey, I am applying as a NCM, I didn't know so many people actually wanted in as officers  :p

I did want infantry, but I kept calling every reserves centre and only the 31 combat engineers ever picked up!  I honestly don't have much information on any of the units; I'm just dead set on getting in.

Back