• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Respect and Etiquette

I think you are right about this happening everywhere.  It doesn't matter what you do, military or civie.  No one is being taught manners anymore, how to respect people, how to behave.  It all boils down to what is going on at home, what is acceptable at work, on course.  We all set an example for what the Canadian Military stands for, either in uniform or out of uniform.

Well I am going to add in here a little bit. I was attending a memorial for one of ours who died a while ago.
At the church I have never in my life heard so much fowl language being used. It seemed as If I was in the field practicing section attacks or what not.
As I looked around I noticed it was more then the new privates, it was the WO's Sgt's, Cpls and Ptes.
Although they may not have been regular church people as I am neither, the level of respect not only for the church but the one who died should have been there.
To me it is a epedemic with in the system. Poor leadership and lack of discipline and true military values has lead us down this road. The changing of leadership courses to be management courses, all the being nice and friendly to persons has taken it's toll on us.

I once remember a Sgt Major whom put most to shame when it came to the F word. We were waiting in line for fast food, one of the other older guys said the F word once the Sgt Major shot that look that only they can have and then in one of those bone chilling voices, watch your language there are women and children folk amongst us.
That older Cpl was the duty guy for the weekend.

CTD said:
Well I am going to add in here a little bit. I was attending a memorial for one of ours who died a while ago.
At the church I have never in my life heard so much fowl language being used. It seemed as If I was in the field practicing section attacks or what not.
As I looked around I noticed it was more then the new privates, it was the WO's Sgt's, Cpls and Ptes.
Although they may not have been regular church people as I am neither, the level of respect not only for the church but the one who died should have been there.
To me it is a epedemic with in the system. Poor leadership and lack of discipline and true military values has lead us down this road. The changing of leadership courses to be management courses, all the being nice and friendly to persons has taken it's toll on us.

I once remember a Sgt Major whom put most to shame when it came to the F word. We were waiting in line for fast food, one of the other older guys said the F word once the Sgt Major shot that look that only they can have and then in one of those bone chilling voices, watch your language there are women and children folk amongst us.
That older Cpl was the duty guy for the weekend.

Exactly! There is a time and place for foul language, the church not being one of them.(Neither is the supper table with ALL your relatives! :eek:) I can curse with the best of them but I somehow find the strength to tone the language down outside of the military.

2 Cdo said:
Exactly! There is a time and place for foul language, the church not being one of them.(Neither is the supper table with ALL your relatives! :eek:) I can curse with the best of them but I somehow find the strength to tone the language down outside of the military.

Discipline is another word for strength, I think; you obviously have it - some of those described in this thread obviously do not. More disciplined soldiers beat tougher soldiers on the battlefield all the time, as per that whole 50 Romans could beat 500 barbarians thing.

I also wonder why guys think they have to swear so much?  It usually doesn't bother me, except when guys in uniform are out in public, carrying on like children that have just learned their first swear words.

What do these fellows wives and girlfriends think?  If I came home swearing half as much as some of the losers around base, I'm sure my wife would feed me soap for supper.

My favourite saying " profanity is the inability of a feeble mind to fully express itself."

Bruce Monkhouse said:
My favourite saying " profanity is the inability of a feeble mind to fully express itself."

While I generally agree with your statement there are times where an extremely colourful string of curses directed at an individual who is in dire need of a jacking can be a beautiful thing! ;D

mover1 said:
I think we should include etiquette training in a BMQ, after all we teach them how to dress, walk, shave and their trade.  Why not a class on how to act in public...

There is a class called "Dress and Deportment." Some people must of slept through the 'deportment' portion.

IMO the problem is that if some troop wants to go out and act like a hooligan or be a slob there is little that can or will be done about it and he/she knows it. Laws nowadays prevent corporal punishment at home and in the military and far too many people in the chain of command just can't be bothered to address behaviour issues.

CTD said:

That's for sure.

Cpl4Life said:
I also wonder why guys think they have to swear so much?  It usually doesn't bother me, except when guys in uniform are out in public, carrying on like children that have just learned their first swear words.

What do these fellows wives and girlfriends think?  If I came home swearing half as much as some of the losers around base, I'm sure my wife would feed me soap for supper.

Unfortunately it's not just the guys. I can swear like the best of them but some people just go too far. There was a girl at my bmq who I referred to as 'the swearing girl'. Her language was so offensive I couldn't stand being around her. I found out later she is married with a toddler! I can't imagine what that child is going to be like when it grows up.

2 Cdo said:
While I generally agree with your statement there are times where an extremely colourful string of curses directed at an individual who is in dire need of a jacking can be a beautiful thing! ;D

Totally agree, but when the recipients here it coming from someone who usually doesn't swear or yell, the "beautiful thing" gets even prettier!!! ;)

Back