• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Retire from CAF and entering Fed PS [Merged]

Thanks for sharing the info Stoney, I guess I should consider staying an extra 5 yrs and investing a little extra also.

Hello,

I am going to be 3b released from the CF after 16 years of service and already have a disability monthly pension plus will have the normal CF pension entitlement, 32 percent of SGT pay and have been offered a job in the PS when I am released. My question is I am 34 years old and the PS job pay rate is a little more than my current Sgt pay rate and since my pensions are indexed immediately do to 3b, am I better off to take the CF pension now and work for 25 years in the PS and start a third pension when I retire from the PS? Also, how many annual days of leave will I start with since I am being medically released, meaning will my 25 days I am currently entitled to now in the CF carry over in the PS or where will I start? Anybody that can provide either guidance, literature, hyperlinks or all three would be helping me out immensely. Trying to put all the proverbial ducks in a row before I am out. Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local/2011-01-12/article-2108838/Veterans-Affairs-to-give-vets-hiring-priority/1

Veterans Affairs to give vets hiring priorityPublished on January 11th, 2011
Ryan Ross  Topics : Veterans Affairs , Charlottetown

Veterans could soon take priority when it comes to hiring at Veterans Affairs, says the minister responsible for the department.

Veterans Affairs Minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn was in Charlottetown Tuesday as part of a visit to the Maritimes for meetings with Veterans Affairs staff.

During an interview with media, Blackburn said veterans will have priority hiring for jobs in the department, except in cases where it would result in a job loss for someone else.

“After that our first priority is to our veterans. They have to have the ability to do the job, but that’s what we want to introduce,” he said.

Blackburn said the department is in the process of implementing the changes to give veterans priority hiring, but it hasn’t taken effect yet and he didn’t know when it would start.

“We realize we don’t have enough so we are implementing this process.”

There was a lot of criticism directed at the department recently and Blackburn said he realized it needed to re-evaluate how Veterans Affairs delivered services to veterans.

“They are proud to serve in the Canadian army but they did not ask to come back with injuries so we want to make sure if this happen they will be well protected,” he said.

Blackburn said if an injured veteran follows a rehabilitation program they will be paid a minimum of $40,000 per year and if they can’t go back to work they will receive a minimum of $58,000 annually.

He added veterans now have a choice to take the benefits as a lump sum payment or spread out annually.

“It will be their choice and that will be much better adapted to their reality.”

Another initiative the department has undertaken is to reduce by 1/3 the amount of time it takes to process veterans’ files and instead of 24 weeks files now take 16 weeks to process, he said.

“But it’s not enough but we are doing huge progress and we keep on to reduce that again.”

Blackburn said 2010 was a tough year for Veterans Affairs, but the department has brought about a lot of positive changes to help veterans.

“I’m very pleased to say look what we have done in this year. Look how we are better now to deliver best services to our veterans.”

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

Transcontinental Numérique - Groupe Journaux
© Copyright 2008 - 2010 Conditions of Use Privacy Policy 

I must not having been paying much attention lately.  This is the first I have heard of a the Lump sum vs the spread out payment being implemented.  I know the idea was "floated", but I did not realize that it had been implemented.  Same with the reduction in file processing time.

Is it just me, or were these actually announced previously???

Lump Sum Disability Award
http://www.veterans.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=department/facts-fait/lump-sum

Good to see vets get priority hiring at VAC, as long as the rules that the staff enforce will eventually change.

Another tidbit from the same announcement - Minister's going on a road trip:
.... Tomorrow (12 Jan 11), Minister Blackburn will address staff at the Atlantic Regional Office in Dartmouth, and Canadian Forces members at CFB Halifax. Today (11 Jan 11) marks the beginning of a cross-country tour to highlight the recent changes for Canada's Veterans .... "I'm pleased to be meeting with Veterans and stakeholders across the country to explain that substantial progress has been made to fix problems and to reassure them of our commitment to providing them with the best possible service," said Minister Blackburn.  As part of his tour, Minister Blackburn will stop in eight cities across Canada, where he will visit Veterans' organizations, Canadian Forces bases, integrated personnel support centres (IPSCs), long-term care Veterans' facilities and departmental regional and district offices ....

More on the tour (but not where he's going to be when as of this posting) here.

I'm curious what they'll be using to define 'veteran', particularly with regards to reservists.

He said it BUT there is Priority hiring in place already for all Federal government jobs for those who were medically released and able to compete for the job. They must meet all criteria, compete and at least tie for the job, whereby there status gets them the nod.

Brihard said:
I'm curious what they'll be using to define 'veteran', particularly with regards to reservists.

New Definition of a Veteran

VAC and the Department of National Defence (DND) have extended veteran status to former Canadian Forces members and Reserve Force members who:

* meet DND's military occupational classification requirements (MOC-qualified); and
    * have been released from the Forces with an honourable discharge.

Veteran status recognizes the potential risk that Canadian Forces members assume by donning the uniform and pledging allegiance. Veteran status does not mean that all former members are eligible to receive VAC benefits and services. As in the past, access to VAC benefits and services will continue to be based on your eligibility status and need.

dileas

tess

So if I read that correctly reservists must be released to qualify for the purpose of preferential hiring?

Yes, in order to qualify for pri hiring, you must be released medically 3a or 3b item.

Jim Seggie said:
Yes, in order to qualify for pri hiring, you must be released medically 3a or 3b item.

I was speaking specifically of the DND/DVA news item. It doesn't appear to include just medical releases, but instead applies the term 'veteran' more inclusively (i.e., not just WW2/Korea) for the purposes of preferential hiring under the Public Service Employment Act.

I've had some mixed responses so far. Some branches are good, DND especially. Some branches seem to refuse to even answer email queries. I was told by my case manager that getting hired in some departments is "impossible". CBSA I'm looking at you. I hope these are just personal anecdotes. I don't want to create trouble yet till a few more people come forward.

What are your experiences with priority hiring? A carrot dangled to shut up dissension in the ranks like so many of the other half truths we've been fed? Or a fair and equitable way to get a similar wage and benefit package as before you got smashed up? Probably a bit of both I would assume.

Nemo888 said:
I've had some mixed responses so far. Some branches are good, DND especially. Some branches seem to refuse to even answer email queries. I was told by my case manager that getting hired in some departments is "impossible". CBSA I'm looking at you. I hope these are just personal anecdotes. I don't want to create trouble yet till a few more people come forward.

What are your experiences with priority hiring? A carrot dangled to shut up dissension in the ranks like so many of the other half truths we've been fed? Or a fair and equitable way to get a similar wage and benefit package as before you got smashed up? Probably a bit of both I would assume.

When i did it in 2008, I was getting calls from various departments, at least, twice a day.  Even after I accepted a position in the Public Service.

Phenomenal program.

Maybe there are no openings, or you qualifications are not what they are looking for.  Good luck though.

dileas

tess

Good to hear feedback (or ANYTHING actually ) on the Priority Hiring Prcocess.  I will be heading that direction soon and looking for anything related to the PH system and how it has worked for those in the program.

My department is required to review the list, although you are not bound to select from it, the person must met the requirements of the staffing action and may be tested at the same level as other candidates. if they tie with another candidate or come in on top, then you are bound to hire them. We had a air force W.O. that we were told to contact, he was back east and we are on the west coast and marine based. He was as puzzled as we were as to why they thought he would be interested.

As for CBSA staffing, you might want to view this video at my blog.
http://denofzeus.blogspot.com/2011/03/hiring-process-explained.html

Colin P said:
My department is required to review the list, although you are not bound to select from it, the person must met the requirements of the staffing action and may be tested at the same level as other candidates. if they tie with another candidate or come in on top, then you are bound to hire them.

Which department is that?

I have recently filled 3 Indeterminate positions (in the last 6-8 months), all went to someone on the Priority Hiring List.

For the classifications we were looking for (2 different GL's, 1 CR) I was sent a number of resumes, all on the priority hire list. If any of them met the Mandatory criteria, they had to be considered. If none met the mandatory criteria, then I could go to the "normal" pool of applicants. I haven't even seen a resume from a direct civilian in over 3 years.

I've seen a couple of applicants from across the country as well. Our CHRO advises that if they meet the mandatory criteria they MUST be considered for the job and we MUST contact them and ask if they are interested. A guy in Winnipeg laughed for quite a while when I asked him if he would move to Gagetown for an STS-04  ;D.

Mind you, I can see where it might not be an issue. If a member is newly released, they may have not done their move on retirement yet. A new job offering may be just what the Dr ordered lol

Wook

From Gagetown, going back to Gagetown. I could see him laugh or even cry.

I hope some of you aren't offended by what I'm about to say, but some departments probably shy away from hiring too many ex-CAF personel at one time because of a historical occurence from about 30 -40 years ago. At one time if was almost a given that any ex-CAF personel could walk right in and get a job at the "Post Office". We are talking pre-Canada Post days. CP is now a Crown corporation but it wasn't then, it was just a Crown agency. As a result many former commissioned officers wound up in management positions at the " Post Office". Unfortunately, many of them brought their "do as I say or else" attitude that they were used to in the military with them. For those of you who remember, those were the days of very bad labour relations at the Post Office. Because the majority of letter carriers, sorters and other employees were regular "civies", their unions took offence to this atttude and also dug in their heels. To my suprise, I have actually had two "old-timer" former "post Office " employees confirm this. I believe that subsequent to that, some Crown agencies have been careful not to hire too many ex-CAF'ers for fear of bringing too much of that attitude in the workplace, particularly if it is a union shop.  This post is not  intended to take a swipe at ex-officers but just to relay what I believe may be an underlying current in today's federal civil service hiring practices.

Back