• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reversion to NCM

ltmaverick25 said:
Thats a matter of opinion I guess.  I think the more educated soldiers of all pay grades are, the better it is for the CF and for those individuals.  And god forbid you develop a medical condition and the CF decides they dont want you anymore...  Unless your family is about to starve, I have always beleived in education first, career/employment second.

Even though my family aren't starving at this particular time, I always put them at the top of my list as nothing else really matters,.... to quote Styx, "It's just an illusion".

..and to do that requires career/employment, not necessarily education.

Ok..  But your 48, different stage of life then someone just out of highschool.. And either way, were just talking in circles now.  The education part is meant to facilitate the career/employment side.  The reason I say education first is because without it, it is possible to be employed in a field, or job that you hate.  Obviously you will be able to point out all too many exceptions to what ive just said.  But it doesnt change the theme.  Get your education first, worry about everything else when your done.

I just want to clarify, it is not just about me wanting to go to Afghanistan before it is too late. It is more than that. I chose to go NCM because I did not want to be an Officer. There are somethings that I would like to do that as an Officer I will not be able to. I have done 2 years at another Post-secondary institution prior to coming to RMC. School right now is not for me.  I want to be a NCM because I want to be a NCM.

ltmaverick25 said:
Get your education first, worry about everything else when your done.

IMO, somewhat, I guess it can depend on what one calls education, if I had a choice of taking political science for 4 years or 4 years of apprentice learning how to be a plumber/electrician , than shit/shock me....

777 said:
I just want to clarify, it is not just about me wanting to go to Afghanistan before it is too late. It is more than that. I chose to go NCM because I did not want to be an Officer. There are somethings that I would like to do that as an Officer I will not be able to. I have done 2 years at another Post-secondary institution prior to coming to RMC. School right now is not for me.  I want to be a NCM because I want to be a NCM.

Fair enough

Baden  Guy said:
Journeyman by your writings in this site I think you have a degree.
Am I to assume by your comment that you see no value in this education ?

Put me down in the pro education column.
First off, I may appear educated -- because, while education isn't free, spell check and proof-reading are.  ;)  [not aimed at you BadenGuy]

I'm actually very much in the 'pro-education' camp, however, (and there's always a 'however')..... I'm also aware of the limits of a piece of paper saying "BA" -- and very much aware of our universities' limits.

Regarding the military specifically, I believe that a BA in military history, international relations, or specific country/region studies is useful. Yet, you can also have a BA in Marxist-Feminist Dance Interpretation, which will still meet the degree requirement for commissioning.

I also believe that dumbing-down our universities, such that no one fails, there are no 'facts' - merely interpretations, if 'history classes stopped teaching war, then wars would cease'...... is not "hugely beneficial." That's a separate rant though.

I'm not arguing against education at all; I'm arguing against sweeping, unsupported generalizations that number 2 rifleman will hugely benefit from getting a degree by having drawn 'Skippy' off of a matchbook cover.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
IMO, somewhat, I guess it can depend on what one calls education, if I had a choice of taking political science for 4 years or 4 years of apprentice learning how to be a plumber/electrician , than crap/shock me....

?
Arent they one in the same?  Regardless of which path one chose, they are still securing an education first.  Different schools for different paths, we give them different labels but they are all just as legitimate and worthwhile endevours..

ltmaverick25 said:
I have always beleived in education first, career/employment second.
So, I guess that you are going to edit your post?    >:D

ltmaverick25 said:
?
Arent they one in the same?  Regardless of which path one chose, they are still securing an education first.  Different schools for different paths, we give them different labels but they are all just as legitimate and worthwhile endevours..

You do know, of course, that that is not remotely what you said, sparking this sub-thread.
ltmaverick25 said:
It doesnt matter wheather one is an officer, NCO or NCM, having a university degree is of huge benefit

Of course thats what I said, we were talking within the context of RMC, which is an accredited Canadian university and I stand by what I said.  There was nothing in my initial statement that indicates that a university degree is the only valid form of education.  Why would a mechanic go to university?  I think that the answers to those questions and the distinction between the two types of institutions are so obvious that they do not require mentioning on my part.  If someone chose to take my university comments as meaning that only university educations are valid, then that is their issue, not mine.  I would also add that the CF does not try to dictate which side of education is more valid either.  A 3 year college diploma, or a university degree are both valid with reference to the requirements for officers/DEO ect... and I think that is a very reasonable position to take.

Obviously one has to take into account their own individual interests and future aspirations when trying to decide which institution, if any to attend.  And even if one choses not to attend, fair enough, that doesnt make them a second class citizen all of a suden.  Regardless, I still firmly beleive in the value of education prior to rushing off into career/employment land.

In fact, I failed to follow my own advice.  I was in such a rush to make money, get out of school ect...  Never finished my degree until much later on, and it cost me alot.  Having been through both sides of the house, getting an education is the way to go for the individual of course, but the CF as a whole still has alot to gain by having at its disposal, a diverse set of knowledge within individual soldiers.

777 said:
I just want to clarify, it is not just about me wanting to go to Afghanistan before it is too late. It is more than that. I chose to go NCM because I did not want to be an Officer.

Its your life and career path to do what you want, and enjoy what you are doing. If one is not happy at his job, why stay in it. Offr/NCO/SNCO/WO, as long as you are a part of the overall team is what counts.

Good luck with us 'darksiders', ha!

Regards,

OWDU

Back