• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

I had a chance to speak with my file manager regarding the details of my application result.

It turns out that I was a little less competitive than I thought due to my academic average being calculated from grade 10 forward instead of grade 12 courses only. This however was not the main reason I wasn't selected; as I was still considered competitive academically with the lowered average.

He felt that overall, they accepted far less applicants this year than past years and many of the accepted were either applying for less competitive occupations or already had a portion of their degree complete. There were at least 3 applicants from the Winnipeg RC that he felt would be accepted based on previous years that were not selected.

In his opinion, the only way I could have changed the outcome this year would be to have had a year of university behind me; as all other areas of my application were very competitive.

Despite the change I will be pushing on and still plan to move to Ottawa in August and begin my Engineering degree at Carleton. I will have my file transferred as soon as I arrive in Ottawa and submit my application for the 2012 program.

I look forward to meeting all of you in the future, good luck to all accepted or not!

Well I have more good news, if anyone cares. I went down and talked to my recruiter and explained my situation. We got it all straightened out and set up. In the event that I don't get picked up for any ROTP officer, I will still enter the Forces as an Infantry Officer through RESO into my local Army reserve unit, the North Saskatchewan Regiment. My plan at this moment is to see if I get anything through ROTP, and in the event that I don't, I will do my university through RESO and then do a component transfer to the Reg Force after I receive my degree.

All bases covered!  ;D

PrairieBoy said:
Well I have more good news, if anyone cares. I went down and talked to my recruiter and explained my situation. We got it all straightened out and set up. In the event that I don't get picked up for any ROTP officer, I will still enter the Forces as an Infantry Officer through RESO into my local Army reserve unit, the North Saskatchewan Regiment. My plan at this moment is to see if I get anything through ROTP, and in the event that I don't, I will do my university through RESO and then do a component transfer to the Reg Force after I receive my degree.

All bases covered!  ;D

All bases covered?  Did the North Saskatchewan Regiment accept you?  The CFRC can not process and enroll you into the NSR without the approval of that Regiment. 

CFRC Barrie. And they aren't even answering the phones today. Two weeks ago they said they were having difficulties getting the files from Toronto (what ever that meant). However I was told all applicants will be called whether they were accepted or not. So I'm hoping no news is good news.

I was accepted for Psychology as an Infantry Officer last week, and I'm part of the 'overflow' that will be spending their first year at CMR, and the following 3 at Kingston. Anyone else in that boat with me?

George Wallace said:
All bases covered?  Did the North Saskatchewan Regiment accept you?  The CFRC can not process and enroll you into the NSR without the approval of that Regiment.

GW, you sound frustrated.  Do you need a back rub?  Or maybe a joke will help?  Whats the only thing separating flight attendants from the lowest form of life?

The flight deck door!!! 

Cheer up GW :D (I hope I at least got a grin outta you)

ringknocker82 said:
GW, you sound frustrated.  Do you need a back rub?  Or maybe a joke will help?  Whats the only thing separating flight attendants from the lowest form of life?

The flight deck door!!! 

Cheer up GW :D (I hope I at least got a grin outta you)

I don't know what your problem is, but someone does not "just join" a Reserve Regiment without the permission of that Regiment.  This is not a CFRC decision to make.  So unless the OP has indeed been to the NS Regiment and been accepted by them into the RESO program, the CFRC has filled him full of BS.

Icmancin said:
I was accepted for Psychology as an Infantry Officer last week, and I'm part of the 'overflow' that will be spending their first year at CMR, and the following 3 at Kingston. Anyone else in that boat with me?

Are you 100% sure its 3 years in Kingston?? Last time I checked (and it has been almost 5 years) CMR is only a prepatory year as it is considered CEGEP.  CEGEP does not count as a year towards your RMC degree. CMR is there mainly for those applicants from Quebec, that way rather than doing 2 years of CEGEP, which they would normally have to do to go to any other University, they only do one.  However, traditionally, students outside of Quebec that did not quite meet the criteria or were beat out by slightly more competitive applications, also went to CMR.  Now, this was the last time I checked, which as stated, has been awhile and things MAY have changed.  However, I would really have this clarified and not necessarily by the recruiters, because, unfortunately, they're not always given the right info either.  If you talk to anyone who's been to RMC, they'll tell you that you ALWAYS spend four years at RMC unless you're a UTPNCM or special cases where most a degree was already received prior to arriving at RMC, and that is extremely rare.  Just for your own knowledge, you may want to call RMC and have this clarified.  Your best bet is to call the registrar.  :D

George Wallace said:
I don't know what your problem is, but someone does not "just join" a Reserve Regiment without the permission of that Regiment.  This is not a CFRC decision to make.  So unless the OP has indeed been to the NS Regiment and been accepted by them into the RESO program, the CFRC has filled him full of BS.

GW, I agree with you and I understand your frustration, I was only trying to cheer you up.  I was not the one who wrote the original post about joining as RESO, that was someone else.  Sorry for merely trying to cheer you up :(  Really didn't mean to offend you.

I don't need cheering up.  The OP may have in fact been to the NSR and been accepted by them.  He, however, has made no mention of that fact, and let it appear that the CFRC may have theo power to place persons applying for ROTP into another program, other than Reg Force, on their own initiative.  Before anyone else may get the idea that this may be an alternate route through the CFRC, they should be informed that there is a whole other process that has to be followed. 

ringknocker82 said:
Are you 100% sure its 3 years in Kingston?? Last time I checked (and it has been almost 5 years) CMR is only a prepatory year as it is considered CEGEP.  CEGEP does not count as a year towards your RMC degree. CMR is there mainly for those applicants from Quebec, that way rather than doing 2 years of CEGEP, which they would normally have to do to go to any other University, they only do one.  However, traditionally, students outside of Quebec that did not quite meet the criteria or were beat out by slightly more competitive applications, also went to CMR.  Now, this was the last time I checked, which as stated, has been awhile and things MAY have changed.  However, I would really have this clarified and not necessarily by the recruiters, because, unfortunately, they're not always given the right info either.  If you talk to anyone who's been to RMC, they'll tell you that you ALWAYS spend four years at RMC unless you're a UTPNCM or special cases where most a degree was already received prior to arriving at RMC, and that is extremely rare.  Just for your own knowledge, you may want to call RMC and have this clarified.  Your best bet is to call the registrar.  :D

CMR now has First Years as well. There's nothing set as to who goes to CMR for first year, it seems all kind of random. However, the OCdt/NCdt's that attend CMR for first year proceed to RMC for the following three years to finish off their degrees. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this only started in 2008.

George Wallace said:

Well, I spoke to a recruiter from the North Saskatchewan Regiment at CFRC, who confirmed for me that they do have openings in the trade I want to go into most (Infantry Officer), and after he got a look at my file, he told me if that if I do not get anything through ROTP, he can almost ensure me a position in the Regiment through RESO. I meet the necessary requirements, but other ROTP applicants must have been more competitive than me, but I can still get into the Army. Nothing's set in stone yet, but I have made arrangements to ensure my entrance into the Forces as an officer even if nothing comes out of ROTP for me. He placed a note on my file, basically saying: "If not picked up for ROTP, transfer to RESO".

So, all bases are covered as well as I can cover them at this juncture.

Bowen said:
CMR now has First Years as well. There's nothing set as to who goes to CMR for first year, it seems all kind of random. However, the OCdt/NCdt's that attend CMR for first year proceed to RMC for the following three years to finish off their degrees. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this only started in 2008.

Good to know, thanks!! 

gyates93 said:
This is probably my first post on the board but..

I heard last week that I'll be attending RMC in Fall 2011 for MARS! It'd be great to hear from some other's who'll be attending or anyone with advice/stories to share!
Thanks

I am also attending RMC in the Fall for MARS. Good to know I'm not alone. See you there.

PrairieBoy said:
Well, I spoke to a recruiter from the North Saskatchewan Regiment at CFRC, who confirmed for me that they do have openings in the trade I want to go into most (Infantry Officer), and after he got a look at my file, he told me if that if I do not get anything through ROTP, he can almost ensure me a position in the Regiment through RESO. I meet the necessary requirements, but other ROTP applicants must have been more competitive than me, but I can still get into the Army. Nothing's set in stone yet, but I have made arrangements to ensure my entrance into the Forces as an officer even if nothing comes out of ROTP for me. He placed a note on my file, basically saying: "If not picked up for ROTP, transfer to RESO".

So, all bases are covered as well as I can cover them at this juncture.

It is not as simple as having a Recruiter at the CFRC say that you can.  The Recruiter at the CFRC is not the Unit Commanding Officer.  Usually, for one to become an officer in a Reserve unit, they will have to apply and go through a selection process, which includes an "Officer Selection Board" made up of officers of that unit and one officer as a neutral agent (from another unit and Trade).  The Commanding Officer will have the last word as to whether or not he will accept you into his unit, not someone at the CFRC.

Back