• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

rucksack and sleeping bag

solid1191

Inactive
Reaction score
when i went for a hike the other day with my 82 pattern ruck and sleeping bag ( canadian one) the sleeping bag kept loping to one side. As if one side was heavier than the other. This was a real pain i had to stop every 10min and fix it. Did i pack my sleeping bag wrong? am i suppost to roll one sleeping bag over the other or place them sideby side? someone help i really dont like having to fix my bag every 10min on a hike
thanks

I was always taught not to roll them, just to stuff both sleeping bags in, then tighten the valise are far as it‘ll go. (In a hurry, you won‘t want to be wasting time rolling sleeping bags). Also, ensure that you tighten the straps holding the valise to the rucksack VERY tightly. That way, the stuff shouldn‘t be moving around.

ah, i should try stuffing it, no matter how hard i tighten it still gets loose any way to fix that

Just make sure when tightening your not just tightening the top but the side strings also

Side strings are very important for size... the bigger the valise is the harder it will be to secure.

I tighten my valise as tight at both strings can go, then I slap it into my ruck and pull on those straps until they won‘t move anymore. Also, make sure the valise is as centered as possible.

The idea behind stuffing vs rolling, is that feathers won‘t be so compressed and the air can circulate throughout the bag while in the valise better. Helps dry the sweating thing out.

also on the note of stuffing vs rolling...

When you roll (if you roll the same way) it puts stress on the same creases ALL the time, whereas if you stuff it doesn‘t put undo stress on any part of sleeping bag....

How much kit do you have in your valise? If you just have an inner and outer in there, it might just not be packed tight enough. I have my ground sheet, bivy bag, ranger blanket, inner, outer, and flannel liner all in my valise, which fills it out nicely and makes it easier to secure.

I‘ve got my inner/outer, liner ground sheet and air mattress in mine.

I‘ve got:

Ground sheet
bivy
inner
outter
hood
liner (what a POS lol)

that fills it up nicely.

sleeping bags are the most annoying contraptions i‘ve ever seen. Has ANYONE ever thought of making zippers for the inner/outer/liners? The tie system blows..

I betcha the guy who designed em never tried to sort out his sleeping bag under no light discipline!

The SB liner and issued poncho liner (ranger blanket) are being replaced with the new CADPAT thermal blanket it has zippers,no more ties....Oh yeah they are being issued next month.

Next month, but I‘m guessing that‘s to the regs out East, isn‘t it?

Us Mo saps in the West probably won‘t be seeing them for a long time.

I can‘t even get my fleece jacket now, as they‘re telling me they‘ve stopped making the green ones, and they need to start issuing the Cadpat ones to the regs, who then must turn in their green fleeces before I can get one..

Oh well, I‘ll make do. :)

Speaking of SB liners, has anyone seen or have the Cdn peacekeeper fleece liner?

Just wondering, as I am interested in buying one of these, as it would be just right for Australia I reckon.

Cheers,

Wes

The fleece liner that Cdn peacekeeper sells is GREAT kit. I highly recommend it.

In fact, I think I am going to return my flannel issued one, if they let me.

Some guys in my unit sleep with just the liner and a bivvy bag, in appropriate climates.

Last weekend, staying in shacks at Meaford, I used the fleece liner alone on the bunks, instead of dealing with the sheets and wool blankets, and I was very comfortable.

I also used the liner with the SB outer on ex in Fort Drum‘s fibua site in March, which was pretty chilly, even indoors, but I stayed warm.

If I can get my hands on a bivvy bag, I‘d give up a lot of the other kit I am currently lugging around, I would imagine.

142Highlander,

The CF valise, with the strings on the side, is very slippery, and if it‘s not tied down very tight, it will slip and shift during a ruck march.

One solution I use, if I have the time, is to run the valise straps through the strings and keep it as centred as possible, and zip it tight.

Check that you have run the valise straps correctly, too. They should be pressing the valise into the frame, not totally wrapping around the valise. I see people all the time have it running around the valise and basically hanging between the plastic buckle on the ruck bag and the metal frame on the bottom, so it is basically loose between the ruck bag and the bottom of the frame.

The valise straps should only touch the outside of the valise, and when tightened, it will press the valise against the frame and bottom of the ruck bag.

Hard to explain, easier to show! But I think you probably get it.

If you haven‘t already, make sure your webbing is set up correctly, too, so the buttpack isn‘t bumping the valise off-centre all the time. It‘s amazing how many troops I see with their buttpack put on all wrong, and it ends up riding too high and interfering with the ruck.

When I was in the CF, used to have the SB inner, outer, liner, air mattress, Mustang Bivvy and a wash basin in there, that was winter. Summer was a poncho liner, outer, air mattress, Mustang Bivvy, bug bar and basin.

Here in Australia I use a CF valise and 82 ptrn ruck cuz ours has no frame. The OD cordura has a permanent reddish tint to it from our soil. Its well used and I prefer it to the Aussie backbreaker which is like an old CF cargo pack.

Inside the valise is a waterproof bag which as my SB in it, bug bar, air mattress, bivvy, poncho and liner.

I also tuck in the straps as said above, its the best way to keep things secure and centred.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley, you willingly use an 82 pattern frame?!? Different strokes for different folks I guess. I got a jump frame of a mate and I have never looked back. Life only got better with a custom bag from the VP kitshop.

As for my Valise.

- Biv Bag
- Sleeping bag (I got a synthetic Softie because I am allergic to the feathers - quality difference is amazing)
- Norge Sweater
- Spare change of underclothing

Basically, all my sleeping gear and clothing is kept in the valise or in my webbing. Saving room in my ruckbag for the essentials (ammo, food, water, Mission essential kit, etc)

I have had the welders in GE touch up the frame a few times over the yrs. I am to Canada in your northern summer for about a month, so I‘ll check out the local disposals to see if I can get a ‘rucksack universal, C1 frame‘. I used to have two of those old rucks.

Overall, I am however content with the 82 ptrn one, as no jumping for me, the ruck is in the back of the GMV or at home prepacked as usual, and sice I am RAEME att to RAA, maybe only a few days a yr do I have to grunt it, as we have our IMTs (Infantry Minor Tactics) every May/Jum at Majura in the ACT.

Cheers,

Wes

I agree with Infanteer 24-48 hrs worth of kit in valise plus my shaving kit. This is important being in a mech Coy, seeing as how we may live out of our valises for a few days at a time. But the same holds true when we go over to the light role, it‘s much easier to live out of your valise than screw around in your ruck.

Pack light freeze at night :)

Back