• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Russell Williams charged in 2 x murders, confinement, sexual assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Female corporal's death under investigation
By PETE FISHER
NORTHUMBERLAND TODAY
http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2195714&auth=PETE%20FISHER%20PFISHER@NORTHUMBERLANDTODAY.COM
Northumberland OPP are investigating the suspicious death of a woman found in her Brighton home Wednesday afternoon.

Dead is , 37, a flight attendant at 437 (Transport) Squadron, Trenton.

The military offers their condolences to Comeau's family and friends, said 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer Capt. Mark Peebles.

"Marie will be missed by comrades at 437 Squadron," he said Thursday afternoon.

Comeau had been at 437 Squadron for six months and in the military for 12 years.

The military was notified of the death late Wednesday evening.

Ontario Provincial Police said the woman's body was discovered at 12:58 p. m. after emergency services were dispatched to 252 Raglan St. in Brighton.

Neighbours confirmed Comeau lived at the home and was a corporal in the military and a flight attendant.

Police tape surrounded the home and neighbours said the two vehicles in the driveway belonged to the woman who lived at the residence and her boyfriend.

Terry Alexander and his wife, Mary, live across the road said Comeau's car was gone Wednesday morning, but his wife noticed the woman arrive back over the lunch hour.

A short time later Alexander walked out of his home to greet a service man when Comeau's boyfriend, who is also in the military, came running on the road, yelling, "She's dead inside the house."

EDIT: Changed the thread title as we can let the media still be in the dark ages about women in the Service, we're beyond that.

RIP: Cpl. Comeau

Marie-France certainly will be missed. She had an infectious smile, and had many friends throughout the Wing and the CF.

"Brighton woman murdered: OPP: BRIGHTON -- The death of a Brighton woman has been deemed a homicide.":
http://www.northumberlandnews.com/news/article/141225

Rest In Peace Marie-France.
I did now know you but I dropped you off at the plane a few times.  You were always smiling and happy. 

Safe Flight
BYTD (formally flightline driver)

Update. Jan 28, 2010

"OPP seek public’s assistance in Brighton murder case: Police anticipate a lengthy investigation in Marie Frances Comeau murder":
http://northumberlandnews.com/news/article/147213

I'm awaiting on press conference that will take place at 1300 hrs (Eastern).

That is supposed to be very interesting and may turn some things upside down.

Shared with the usual fair dealings etc... did a search didn't see this.
I really hope they are just speculating here...

Excerpt:
  Meanwhile, police were seen cordoning off a property on Cosy Cove Lane, a site that is reportedly close to where Llloyd's body was found. The registered owner of the home is listed as Col. Russ Williams,  a base commander at CFB Trenton.

Before becoming a base commander in July, 2009, Williams -- who is married -- piloted the Challenger aircraft which is often used by Canada's elite dignitaries.

Full story here:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100208/lloyd_police_100208/20100208?hub=Toronto

Toronto Sun is reporting he's been arrested ...

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/02/08/12791976.html

I am speachless....

*edit - added this link*
National Post

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2536807

This is all going to hit the fan pretty fast... mods may want to lock this...

For those who are interested
He is being charged with the following:
-1st degree murder of Jessica Lloyd,
-1st degree murder of Marie Comeau
-2 counts of forcible confinement and
-2 counts of Break and enter and sexual assault

According to http://www.trentonian.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2440235

It may be a bit easier for people to see the full article below rather than just an excerpt.  Also, Mods, perhaps we can change to the title of the thread to not insinuate that CTV is the one pointing fingers when charges have been laid?  Thanks.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100208/lloyd_police_national_100208/20100208?hub=TopStoriesV2

Base commander charged in Ont. woman's death

ctvtoronto.ca

Date: Mon. Feb. 8 2010 1:21 PM ET

The body of a missing Belleville, Ont. woman has been found and a suspect has been arrested in connection with her death, police said Monday.

Police say the suspect will be charged with first-degree murder in connection with Lloyd's death, as well as first-degree murder in the death of another woman in Brighton last year -- Marie France Comeau.

The suspect came to the attention of police following a roadside canvass. He was arrested in Ottawa, police said.

The news release says the suspect faces criminal charges. Sources say the suspect could face up to six charges, including break and enter, unlawful confinement and sexual assault.

"During the joint investigation, other incidents in the area were examined resulting in additional criminal charges," the release said.

Police announced that Russell Williams, 46, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder along with two counts of forcible confinement and two counts of break and enter and sexual assault.

Earlier Monday, police were seen cordoning off a property on Cosy Cove Lane, a site that is reportedly close to where Llloyd's body was found. The registered owner of the home is listed as Col. Russ Williams, a base commander at CFB Trenton.

Before becoming a base commander in July, 2009, Williams -- who is married -- piloted the Challenger aircraft that is often used by Canada's elite dignitaries.

No allegations against Williams have been proven in a court of law.

Lloyd was last heard from on Jan. 28, when someone sent a text message from her cellphone to a family friend. Police say she was last known to be at her home on Highway 37 in the late hours of that same evening.

Her family reported her missing the next day after she failed to show up for work at Tri-Board Student Transportation Services in Napanee, Ont.

In the days that followed, police launched helicopter and ground searches but did not locate her.

Anyone with information about Lloyd is asked to contact police at 613-966-0882, ext. 2313, or to call Quinte Crime Stoppers at 613-969-8477, or 1-800-222-8477.

With files from The Canadian Press

The Belleville Intelligencer
http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2440120

Base commander's home cordoned off in Tweed
Posted By Intelligencer Staff
Posted 2 hours ago

TWEED — Provincial police crime scene investigators here are combing through the home of CFB Trenton Base Commander Russ Williams in connection with the death and disappearance of Jessica Lloyd.

Lloyd, 27, was found dead Sunday near here, sources said, and police have since arrested a man in connection with her death. His identity has not been released.

A press conference has been called for 1 p.m. to release further details of the investigation.

Intelligencer reporter Luke Hendry reporting from the scene said Williams' home on Cosy Cove Lane here is cordoned off and police are poring over the residence.

Williams has been base commander at CFB Trenton since July, 2009, and previously flew VIP Challenger aircraft for such dignitaries as Canadian prime ministers and royalty, while stationed in Ottawa.

News Release
Statement By Chief of The Air Staff Regarding The Arrest of 8 Wing Commander
CASNR 10.001 - February 8, 2010

OTTAWA – The Chief of the Air Staff, Lieutenant-General André Deschamps, issued the following statement today:

I am aware of the charges brought today against Colonel Russell Williams, 8 Wing Commander, Trenton.

As Chief of the Air Staff, I take very seriously all allegations of service or criminal offences against one of our members.

Although one is considered innocent until proven guilty, in light of the seriousness of the charges, and in consideration of the high level of responsibilities attached to the position of Wing Commander, an interim Wing Commander for 8 Wing Trenton will soon be appointed.

Also, in the coming days, a review will be initiated by 1 Canadian Air Division, in Winnipeg, to determine the most appropriate action to take regarding Colonel Williams pending the outcome of the trial.

The Canadian Forces hold their members to a very high standard of conduct and performance, in Canada or abroad, on or off military duty. I confirm that the Air Force is fully supporting civilian authorities in the conduct of the current matter.

I am certain that Air Force personnel at 8 Wing will carry on with their duties, displaying the usual level of professionalism and sense of duty that they have always shown in the past. We will ensure that the Wing leadership and personnel are supported throughout this difficult period.

This situation affects us all and I wish to extend my deepest sympathies to the families of those affected by these tragic events.

Just a small warning to those who may choose to speculate, I just logged in and the first thing I see is that all 3 major media outlets in this country are looking at this thread right now so lets keep this professional.

Bruce

I can imagine the shock for all those on the base first the murders and now this news. I have no doubt the media is clamouring at the gates in the hopes someone will blurt out something.

I am shocked and floored at the thought and ramifications of this, it reminds me of a Hollywood movie plot or Robert Louis Stevenson's tale.  May there be closure for all concerned at the end of this.

Shocking news indeed.

As an aside, I was appalled at some of the comments that the CBC moderators let through on their comments portion to this story.  Some suggesting that "everyone in Tweed" knew that the base commander was a sexual predator, and that the MND should resign for letting this guy knowingly be a base commander.  I mean, heck, I thought our country was one in which justice was to be served through the system, not through the rumour net.

In any event, all that is certain is that two women are dead, their families are in shock as are their friends.  I echo the comments above that my thoughts are with all affected by this tragedy.

It may be Police speculation;

http://www.mix97.com/news/2010/02/base-commander-at-cfb-trenton-with-murder/

The Commanding Officer at CFB Trenton made his first court apperance this afternoon in connection with the murders of Jessica Lloyd and Marie France Comeau and the sexual assaults on two women in seperate incidents in the Tweed-area. 46-year old Russell Williams was charged last night at his home in Ottawa….meanwhile, OPP vehicles continue to gather evidence at Colonel Williams cottage on Cosy Cove east of Tweed. At a press conference today,,,,OPP Detective Inspector Chris Nicholas said Williams is also being investigated in connection with other cases at bases where he had been stationed….that includes a possible link to the murder of Kathleen McVicar eight years ago at CFB Trenton’s Middleton Park.

http://www.thunderbaydistrictcrimestoppers.com/content/What%27s_New/O.P.P._Rewards/

Homicide - Kathleen MacVicar

The Government of the Province of Ontario together with the city of Quinte-West are offering a reward in the amout of seventy five-thousand dollars ($75,000) for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder of Kathleen MacVICAR.

On June 13th 2001, Kathleen MacVICAR, age 19 years, was seen fro the last time leaving on foot from a friend's residence. On June 15th 2001, her body was discovered on the National Defense property, Canadian Forces Base, Trenton, Ontario. MacVICAR was the victim of murder.

Any person having information regarding the person(s) responsible for this murder should immediately contact the Director of the Criminal Investigation Branch, Ontario Provincial Police at 1-888-310-1122 or (705) 329-6111, the  "Project Shadow" office at (613) 962-5637, their nearest police authority, or Crime Stoppers.

File # 955-10-173-2001

This reward will be apportioned as deemed just by the Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services for the Province of Ontario and the Commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police.

CS%20Oct%20009R.jpg

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/topic,215.0.html

http://www.unsolvedcanada.ca/index.php/board,14.0.html

This investigation will be quite interesting to follow.

dileas

tess

When I first saw this today, I was obviously shocked by the headline.  When I looked at the first news link, I was also struck by a resemblance between the two victims.

2537363.bin

I've also noticed that, unlike CBC, The Globe and Mail disabled comments on the article.

Top soldier: 'Tough day for anyone in uniform'
By IAN ELLIOT, QMI Agency
08 Feb 2010
copy at : http://www.calgarysun.com/news/canada/2010/02/08/12795391.html

KINGSTON, Ont. - Canada’s top soldier said Monday that military members are “in shock” at the unfolding events in Trenton, where the base commander has been charged with murdering two young women.

Visiting CFB Kingston, chief of defence staff Gen. Walter Natynczyk urged soldiers not to let the events at CFB Trenton distract them.

“This is a tough day for anyone in uniform,” Natynczyk said.

Yesterday, police announced Col. Russell Williams, 46, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder.

He’s accused of killing Jessica Lloyd, a 27-year-old woman who lived north of Belleville who disappeared 12 days ago.

Lloyd worked for the Tri-Board transportation agency in Napanee.

Williams is also accused of killing Marie Comeau, 37, who was a corporal at the Trenton airbase where Williams was the commanding officer.

He also faces charges of sexual assault in connection with two home invasions in the Tweed area in September.

Williams holds a Master of Defence Studies degree from Royal Military College after attending the Canadian Forces Command and Staff course from August 2003, to June 2004, according to Williams’ official Air Force biography.

His arrest dominated conversation at the Kingston military base yesterday, where Natynczyk said there’s a duty that comes with command for everyone from corporals up to generals.

He said that the events unfolding in Trenton did not reflect on the forces as a whole.

“What is happening does not change our morals or the honour of those of us who wear the uniform,” Natynczyk said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back