• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

safety wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

pteosborne

Inactive
Reaction score
Been having a debate and wanted to know if anyone can help.
Just wondering wich type of safety wire (lock wire) is prefered in a hot zone, Monel or Inconel?
Thought we were taught in Borden to use Inconel but my retention on this subject may be shadey.  :blotto:
-Oz

Might be wrong but,

Inconel is a registered trademark of Special Metals Corporation referring to a family of austenitic nickel-based superalloys. Inconel alloys are typically used in high temperature applications. It is often referred to in English as "Inco" (or occasionally "Iconel").

Inconel is often encountered in extreme environments. It is common in gas turbine blades, seals, and combustors, as well as turbocharger rotors and seals, high temperature fasteners, chemical processing and pressure vessels, heat exchanger tubing, natural gas progessing with contaminants such as H2S and CO2, firearm sound suppressor blast baffles, and Formula One exhaust systems

North American Aviation constructed the skin of the X-15 rocket plane out of an Inconel alloy known as "Inconel X"

Oz_441 said:
Been having a debate and wanted to know if anyone can help.
Just wondering wich type of safety wire (lock wire) is prefered in a hot zone, Monel or Inconel?
Thought we were taught in Borden to use Inconel but my retention on this subject may be shadey.  :blotto:
-Oz

What did the desk Sgt say ?

What did the SAMS say ?

What do the applicable CFTOs say ?

I'm hoping you guys dont fix planes based on  Milnet.ca posts

I was told by my senoir Cpl that all we have is monel and its for hot zones but I got to thinking about it this weekend and it just didnt seem right to me so I thought id ask before I went back to work tomorrow. Why, does anybody know how to install a prop off hand here?

Oz_441 said:
Why, does anybody know how to install a prop off hand here?

I sure don't but since i fly the machines you fix, i hope it gets done using aproved procedures.

Sorry, nothing personal but i get a little twitchy when i read stories like this.

I know how to install a prop.... not sure what it has to do with hot zones.

They have inconel wire in Greenwood... you either misunderstood, or your senior Cpl is a bonehead.

Why didn't you just check the ODO/MM? It has the PN for the required lockwire right at the start of the job.  Asking a question like that on here is a bit silly.

Back when I wore blue, every shop had their applicable tech manuals and orders on the shelf, for easy access. If you were unsure about something, you went to the manual. You didn't go around asking opinions.

Feel a lot more comfortable when a tech checks the tech manuals INSTEAD of going for a consensus.

Like I said, I was told to use a certain kind at work by my Cpl and didnt question it.  I was thinking about it this weekend and was just wondering if anyboday had an answer.  If you know a link to the CFTO's from home, please send. :rage:  I'm a new guy just looking for a quick answer before I go back to work. I dont do maintenance based on the internet, lets not be stupid here. Besides my IETM doesnt get an internet connection.
-Oz

Oz_441 said:
  I'm a new guy just looking for a quick answer before I go back to work.

The only current and acceptable reference will be the one located at work, sorry.

Oz_441 said:
Like I said, I was told to use a certain kind at work by my Cpl and didnt question it.  I was thinking about it this weekend and was just wondering if anyboday had an answer.  If you know a link to the CFTO's from home, please send. :rage:  I'm a new guy just looking for a quick answer before I go back to work. I dont do maintenance based on the internet, lets not be stupid here. Besides my IETM doesnt get an internet connection.
-Oz

Oz_441,

there is nothing wrong with questioning your Cpl, whom I assume is "A" level.  In fact, I encourage you to question your Cpl.  If your Cpl is not using the CFTO, then he is not following established a/c maintenance procedures.  If you remember about Flight Safety briefings, those little "black book" numbers that some techs used to (hopefully) use are not tolerated.  There is no quick answer when it comes to learning your trade.  That is why it takes so long.  We don't do this to you guys so that you have to suffer in order to get your logbook complete, then get your journeyman, and then maybe an "A" level.  We do this so that you learn what the proper procedures are and that you always follow the CFTO when performing a/c repairs.  If in doubt about the CFTO, ask questions to your supervisors. 
In addition, there should not be any links to any CFTOs over the internet from home.  What you need to do is go into work (which you must have already since it is Monday), pull out the applicable CFTO, and find the info for yourself.  You are doing two things here, learning the proper lockwire to be used and learning how to use the CFTOs, which are crucial to know how to do for all techs.

Answer: All we have is monel (that i could find, even in tool crib) but our job only required monel, so were all good.
I looked through the CFTO's at various install jobs (not all of them, of course) and only found one reference that required me to use inconel, and that was on the exhaust cone. Even areas in the hot zone like igniters say to use monel.
The reason I started the thread was because I thought monel just sounded kind of wrong and was looking for an opinion before I went back to work, and I believe we were taught in Borden inconel is for hot zones.
I wasent looking for "sure go install this or that on monday" but rather a quick "im pretty sure inconel is/isnt used in hot zones" by a tech with some years experience using lockwire.
I called some friends of mine and they werent sure either or thought monel was the high heat stuff, hence the statement "debate" in my original post that gave some of you heart attacks  ;) my bad.
For now on I'll keep the maintainers bench questions to something a little less maintainer-ish. A posting question perhaps?
-Oz  :salute:
P.S. no AVN log book here in Greenwood.

Oz got his answer.
Others gave their input on the situation.
No need to troll the thread.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back