• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SAR Tech

mariomike

There are many accredited programs out there less than a year. Ontario is a bit unique in the length of our programs. We do add in many elective programs in the courses such as furthur English, Transcultural Health, Deeper Anatomy and Pathophysiology and longer clinical and on car hours.

Ive found opinions will vary on the value of our (Ontario) 2 year PCP Diploma, and 1 Year ACP. I did both but also worked in a different Province for awhile and found no difference in the care my colleagues were giving.

You can never go wrong with more education and experience but this change in Ontarios Paramedic programs also has allowed the College's to charge twice as much by adding in general college credit courses that already existed. It has also though given our unions more background to go for higher wages.

George Wallace said:
Remember that the route you have to take with the High School deploma, requires Biology, and Chemistry or Physics.

Might I add, they are very strict on the High School part, I saw some overqualified people (some PCPs and an RPN) turned away from/taken off of course because they could not produce their high school course marks. 

WOW!  Lots of chatter in this topic.

Any trade can CT to SARTech - and I mean any...  You could be a cook, gunner, Bos'N, whatever.

This whole talk of PCP etc is good and all - but means nothing.  All ST candidates are sent to the JI in Vancouver area and get their training done while on course.

If you want to be well rounded and show the selection board at CFSSAR that you are the one they want, stay in shape, get a jump course (civi training is fine), get your PADI diver skills up, take some rock climbing courses.  None of these qualifications would be recognized but it at least shows that you are seriously interested.

In the end it is your actions and progress at selection in Jarvis Lake that makes it or breaks it for you.

A large majority of ST's are ex-combat arms, some were medics, even a few others were airframe techs.  Some come from the JTF-2 when they get bored of not being operational.  I even know of a former Captain in the infantry that gave up his commission and became a Corporal in the AF while on ST training.  So anyone and any trade is game.

Eventually Gully will log in and answer your questions fully and completely - he is our resident ST.

Zoomie said:
- he is one of our resident STs -- there's Ironman3 too  ;) 
On my SAR Tech course, we had candidates from all three elements; the predominant trades were combat arms (inf/armd), we had a couple of medics, a finance clerk, a bin rat, a couple of techs, sigs, etc. We graduated 8 out of the initial 17, with the top student being a Ranger-qualified PPCLI.

We lost all the airforce and navy guys (except for one sailor, a Sup Tech, who graduated) the first week because of their fitness levels -- hell, we lost one guy before coffee on the first morning. ::)  Conversely, some of the combat arms guys did not have medical academics as their strong suit. Medics obviously found the medical phase easier, whereas some things, like land survival, saw the infantry guys being more comfortable. A successful candidate must balance fitness, smarts, attitude.

Some thoughts:
1) you can enter from any trade. As has been mentioned, however, even though we all believe we're incapable of failure, pick a trade you'll enjoy on the odd chance that, a) you're in it for quite a while before getting a shot at SAR, and b) in case you don't complete SAR training, for whatever reason.

2) Also as mentioned, get some sort of experience at jumping, diving, climbing, first aid. It will actually mean nothing on course, but it's the sort of thing that will help you get past the first hurdle -- the BPSO recommendation.

3) Once on course, it becomes more a question of your attitude -- which isn't a course you can pick up. Are you a 'can do' type of person? Are you outgoing? Cheerful? Don't mind stumbling now and then, knowing that you're trying something new/more challenging? Only you'll know, of course.

Civvymedic said:
mariomike

There are many accredited programs out there less than a year. Ontario is a bit unique in the length of our programs. We do add in many elective programs in the courses such as furthur English, Transcultural Health, Deeper Anatomy and Pathophysiology and longer clinical and on car hours.

Ive found opinions will vary on the value of our (Ontario) 2 year PCP Diploma, and 1 Year ACP. I did both but also worked in a different Province for awhile and found no difference in the care my colleagues were giving.

You can never go wrong with more education and experience but this change in Ontarios Paramedic programs also has allowed the College's to charge twice as much by adding in general college credit courses that already existed. It has also though given our unions more background to go for higher wages.

Thanks for the clarification. I never advanced beyond (B)asic (L)ifting (S)ervice.
Strong back and a weak mind, I guess. Our friend Ron down at the Rubes Centre is the guru on this subject.

I'm looking for a little help.  I have read the posts in the SAR Tech thread and gathered some info but am looking for a bit more.

After research into the occupation, I have recently decided that the SAR tech occupation is exactly what I am looking for in a career.  That being said, I plan on becoming PCP certified in 2 years time and then applying for SAR tech as a direct entry civilian paramedic.  Therefore I have at least 2 years to prepare for SAR tech selection.  I have already began getting back in shape (as university added a bit of extra weight) and within a month or so I will be joining the local volunteer SAR team. 

What I am looking for are any thoughts/ideas/pointers on what I can do over the next two years to better my chance of being selected for SAR tech training and passing selection.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Are you active? Are you willing to spend some of your own money? Think about volunteering with your local CASARA (Civil Air Search and Rescue) organization. you will be exposed to flight as well as meet people involved in SAR. If you live near the mountains, take some mountaineering training. Parachuting is fun and a sport licence will look good on an application. same for SCUBA. Watch Bear Grills and Les Stroud on TV. Man Tracker too. Actually, go on Mantracker, and beat him. Learn how to orienteer with map and compass as well as GPS. Hmm, what else... Avalanche safety courses, Wilderness first aid, good as well. I guess pretty much anything, as long as you enjoy it, and aren't just trying to grind out a good resume. you either are suited for this stuff, in which case you do the stuff I mentioned anyway, or your not, in which case you never thought of any of this stuff before today.

Good luck, and keep me posted.

gully

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I was a very active athletic person throughout my life, however in university I got a little out of shape but am not hitting the gym and pool almost daily.  I am definitely willing to spend money as I know the type of things you mentioned I am passionate about.  This summer I plan on getting my PADI open water diving certification.  I just recently completed my Standard First Aid and CPR C course.  As for using maps and compasses etc, I have been in scouting since I was 5 and am now a leader so I am very familiar with maps/compasses/stars etc as well as general camping and outdoors.

I was also thinking this summer (if time and money permits) to get some skydiving experience as well.

As well I have watched almost all of the Man vs Wild episodes as well as Ray Mears' world of survival.

Are there only a certain number of spots available for civilian paramedics applying vs forces members?

For the last couple years, there have been two spots "reserved" for civilian applicants. Civilians also compete for the remainder of the positions.

Oh ok.  Thank you for the clarification.

So is there a selection process each year or is it only as needed?

I’ve been doing some research myself and there is a selection every year (in February) this year there are 5 spots reserved for direct entry civilian candidates.

Just to confirm (as I thought I may have read otherwise somewhere else), civilian direct entry candidates must have basic paramedic certification prior to applying and this cannot be waived?

Also, would it be better to focus more on the medical side of things or the survival/diving/para etc side of things ...or a mix of the two?

Thanks again

My advice, is focus on what interests you most, and expose yourself to the things you are inexperienced at. If you are coming in with a PCP Diploma you will be well prepared for SAR Tech training. If you find that you are very interested in advancing your knowledge and skills medically, then pursue it. One of the key strengths in this trade is that everyone did something before they joined, and everyone has something they excel at. Not everyone is a kick a$$ mountaineer, but some are, some are experienced Trauma medics, some are excellent parachutists, etc. It makes for a well rounded mix, and provides a resource that can be called on for almost any situation.

Awesome.  Thanks for the information/guidance.

How often (once stationed) are SAR techs transferred to another base?  Is it a set amount of time or is it sort of as needed?

pretty sure this has been covered, but you can expect to remain in your initial posting for 4-5 years. Generally you will complete all your training to the Team Leader level at your first unit. After that, it gets a little less predictable, as the needs of the trade require. Postings are mainly driven by promotion/attrition, so as somebody gets advanced, they are moved to the vacancy left behind by those from the rank above as they retire or are themselves promoted.

Thanks kj_gully for the confirmation and sorry if I had missed it in an earlier post.

So I have read multiple sources on the procedure/time line that is taken from start to finish for a direct entry candidate and I have found differing descriptions.

For example, if I were wanting to become a SAR tech after obtaining PCP certification the process would be as follows (please correct me if I have misunderstood something):

1. Apply through local CF recruitment office as a direct entry SAR tech applicant.
2. Once accepted into the CF, attend BMQ in Quebec for 12 weeks.
3. Once BMQ is complete, attend SAR tech pre-selection in Jarvis Lake for 2 weeks.
4. After completion of pre-selection attend QL5A course in Comox for 11 months.
5. Upon completion of QL5A course, graduate as SAR tech.

Assuming the above is the correct progression of events, when is the SAR Tech Applicant Physical Fitness Test completed?
As well, at which points along the above time line are "cuts" made?
Does the SAR tech pre-selection begin right after BMQ? If not what would one do after BMQ until pre-selection?

I apologize for such a long post, but I am just trying to completely understand the process.

Thanks again

zc881373 said:
become a SAR tech after obtaining PCP certification

I think this has been discussed before.
PCP means different things in different provinces.
In Ontario, PCP is a two year college program.
But, according to Wikipedia: "primary care paramedic training may be three months (British Columbia) to three years (Quebec) in length."

Oh, sorry for the confusion.  I do understand that the "PCP" may be named different in different provinces (and may take longer to obtain), I simply referenced it as PCP as that is what it is called in NS where I am and that's how they refer to it in the SAR tech documentation I have read.

In any case, the main reason for my earlier message was to confirm the time line of events that occurs after one is already a trained paramedic.

GoodQuestion on the SAR PT test, I am not too sure for direct entry, I will tell you what I think, and get back to you with the goods. For remuster you must complete a modified version of the SAR Tech PT test, namely 2.4 km under 10:15, 8 chinups, 31 pushups 33 situps, and shuttle run... can't remember how far but its back on page 4 or 5 of the thread, in under 16 minutes (no rope climb) you also have to complete the SAR Tech swim test 675 m? in under 20 minutes, but not immeadiately after the other, separately. I imagine that if you were recruiting SAR, you would do the same during the application process, which takes a while, so if you are serious, start it before you finish PCP. Then during selection, you will be tested with thew "full blown" SAR Tech PT test, all of aforementioned+ 2 times up 6 m rope, under 17 minutes, then immeadiately to the pool for the 675 m under 20 minutes. This will also be repeated periodically throughout the SAR Tech course. As for "cuts" there aren't any. you are either selected after Jarvis+ file review, or you aren't. Once on course, you are a SAR Tech, untrained. So you are given every opportunity to succeed. You can quit, but you won't be cut. You fail, its on you.

Gully

Thanks very much for the reply.

When you say

"I imagine that if you were recruiting SAR, you would do the same during the application process, which takes a while, so if you are serious, start it before you finish PCP. Then during selection, you will be tested with thew "full blown" SAR Tech PT test, all of aforementioned+ 2 times up 6 m rope, under 17 minutes, then immediately to the pool for the 675 m under 20 minutes."

do you mean the "modified version" of the PT test would be done prior to BMQ and the "full blown" PT test during pre-selection?

Thanks again

Back