• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sept 2023 UKR Vet Recognition Incident (merged from several threads)

Seriously how brain dead do you have to be not to fully vet someone before you invite them to parliament to give a standing ovation to?

This is a huge propaganda win for the Russians, who have always been saying they are fighting Nazism as their public reason for the invasion or 'special military operation'. Now they have irrefutable evidence that we along with the Ukrainian PM giving one a standing ovation in our parliment .

This could of been so easily avoided. In fact because of how easy it would of been to avoid, it makes me wonder if the gaff was actually intended.

The Speaker never even promised to "do better" in the future.

Yeah, didn’t even shed any tears…

In spite of the Speaker taking responsibility I still want to know who invited this scumbag to the ceremony ? And who vetted him?
They do vet people ?
Inviting Indo-Canadian convicted attempted murderers to a diplomatic dinner in India would indicate Team Trudeau isn’t big on ‘vetting’…convening yes, but vetting no.

I don't give a shit if he shits canned goods and gives them to the poor. He wore the uniform of the Waffen-SS as a volunteer (they were for the large part all volunteers). I don't care if he hated the Soviet Union and wanted a Free and Independent Ukraine.

The fact of the matter is that he was part of a criminal organization and was in the HoC to be celebrated for fighting the Russians (sic) in the Second World War. (Note: his Division fought against enemies of The Reich, including Slovakian Partisans, and also was used as an instrument of terror.)
Not long ago we prosecuted 90 + year olds for their participation in the Holocaust.

So why has he not been arrested? I mean if the civilian secretaries can be prosecuted….

I am so proud that my government invited the Jewish president of a key partner country - and likely the greatest wartime head of state since Churchill - and then parade out an SS veteran in front of him for a round of applause as clearly nobody knew who he was. It'll be interesting to see whose heads roll for this - won't be the PMs or his COS....

This is what happens when you stop teaching children about European history and war. They just don't know that there is even a red flag to look for.

My guess is a low ranking female staffer will take the blame. Yup. I'm that cynical.

🍻

One of the things that bothers me about this is the holes in the vetting process for meeting the PM and Zelensky even

For there to be "holes in the vetting process" first you need a vetting process.
I believe in the Atwal case it was found that the PMO disregarded the RCMP? Perhaps the same here? Not that I think Yaroslav Hunka represented a threat but if it is true that there was no vetting process then how would you know?

Not long ago we prosecuted 90 + year olds for their participation in the Holocaust.

So why has he not been arrested? I mean if the civilian secretaries can be prosecuted….
Might set a precedent to also look into the past of other Nazis and/or Nazi sympathizers (like the Deputy PM’s grandfather)…

I don't give a shit if he shits canned goods and gives them to the poor. He wore the uniform of the Waffen-SS as a volunteer (they were for the large part all volunteers). I don't care if he hated the Soviet Union and wanted a Free and Independent Ukraine.

The fact of the matter is that he was part of a criminal organization and was in the HoC to be celebrated for fighting the Russians (sic) in the Second World War. (Note: his Division fought against enemies of The Reich, including Slovakian Partisans, and also was used as an instrument of terror.)
Might set a precedent to also look into the past of other Nazis and/or Nazi sympathizers (like the Deputy PM’s grandfather)…
Here’s a fun fact - there’s a good chance this 98yr old former SS member collects a pension from the German government….

Here’s snippet from a 1987 article from the Washington Post.
The compensation furor erupted early this year when a German television documentary revealed that among more than 1 million people now getting wartime pensions of up to $600 per month were members, or widows, of SS units branded as criminal by the Nuremberg war crimes tribunal.

Gerhard Schreiber, a military historian at Freiburg University, said about 5 percent of the pensioners, or 50,000 people, would qualify as war criminals under the Nuremberg legal definition.
including 3,377 in the United States --
In Latvia and other East European countries occupied by the Nazis, hundreds of SS veterans recruited by the Nazis continue to receive several hundred dollars a month from the German government.

This is what happens when you stop teaching children about European history and war. They just don't know that there is even a red flag to look for.

My guess is a low ranking female staffer will take the blame. Yup. I'm that cynical.

🍻
Wolf, you can get more cynical than that….

How about the Deputy PM pitches to the PM the individual, herself knowing his true background, in an attempt to set the conditions for an element of sympathy for Ukrainians who found themselves in a position that some might have deemed to have been acceptably compromising themselves to protect against another then perceived evil? You know, so that people would ease off on the case that her grandfather was a Nazi collaborator…

Here’s a fun fact - there’s a good chance this 98yr old former SS member collects a pension from the German government….

Here’s snippet from a 1987 article from the Washington Post.
The compensation furor erupted early this year when a German television documentary revealed that among more than 1 million people now getting wartime pensions of up to $600 per month were members, or widows, of SS units branded as criminal by the Nuremberg war crimes tribunal.

Gerhard Schreiber, a military historian at Freiburg University, said about 5 percent of the pensioners, or 50,000 people, would qualify as war criminals under the Nuremberg legal definition.
including 3,377 in the United States --
Likely not. He's not a and never was a German citizen.

Likely not. He's not a and never was a German citizen.
That does not matter in the least -

In Latvia and other East European countries occupied by the Nazis, hundreds of SS veterans recruited by the Nazis continue to receive several hundred dollars a month from the German government.

And this -

It’s incredibly stupid, like that’s not even the right word it’s so light, when at war, proxy or otherwise, with a country that is using Nazis as the motivation for the war- to not at least double check the guys we parade from the war where there were actually Nazis. Especially with all the accidental oopsies from “hitler youth” folks who emerge when we look at that time period and these places.

It might have been something that should at LEAST get a second glance to make sure we have our ducks in the row- so we don’t confirm the enemies ideological bullshit for killing Ukrainians.

“Thanks for the money Canada. If you could stop standing us near actual Nazis that would help too.”

If the government wants to claim incompetence on that- it’s no better in malice it’s so bloody incompetent.

so very similar to the presence of another undesirable in the pm's entourage in India a few years back. No one knew about him either
The Speaker’s Gallery is exactly that. It falls under his responsibility and privilege. The management of the HOC is also his responsibility. That includes anything administrative and also security. So it’s quite possible and plausible the PMO had no knowledge of who was a guest there of the speaker.

Back