• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should I move and some clearifications

Klinkaroo

Inactive
Reaction score
Ok here is the deal.

I have a CT in right now to the reg force, completed my medical, paperwork and interview now I am waiting for the offer message. It's been 3 weeks now and still absolutely no information from Ottawa which I understand, their busy and all.

Problem is I signed a long term contract in Victoria BC (Hometown is in Quebec) to work on the ships while I am waiting for the contract. Since it's a long term contract I get offered a paid move.

Question, do I take the move? If I am going to be in Victoria for at least 6 months I would like to take the move but I am worried that in January I could get an e-mail that I am transferring in March or something. I don't want to have to transfer while my stuff is still in transit.

Can someone help me make up my mind.

Also if I move my stuff to Victoria and get my transfer and I am sent off to Winnipeg for my training, how does it work exactly? I put all my stuff in storage in Victoria and then the military moves it to my posting location I assume. While I am in training, do I keep my Victoria PLD until I get posted and my stuff is in storage in Victoria, does the military help out paying the storage unit or are we on our own?

Any help would be appreciated.

What trade is your CT for?  That may help someone to predict how long you might be waiting.

Trying to CT to AES Op, I know the January course is already full but don't know if there is an April course or something.

Have you tried to reach the POC @ DMCA to get a more definite answer?

I have rec'd responses from them within the next day all throughout my CT...

If you want I can PM his info (if you don't already have it)

I'll ask you this.  Are you guarunteed an AES Op slot?  Did you sign the dotted line yet?  What are you going to do if you turn down the spot in BC and then don't get AES Op?  Only you can weigh those risks and decide what you should do.  If it were me, I'd probably take the spot in BC.  You have no guaruntee with the CT at this time, right?  Taking the spot in BC with the move doesn't affect your CT at all, it just might cost the CF if you move and then get your CT a month later.  But you can't control that.  Can you risk NOT taking the Class C or B position if you don't get the AES Op offer?

BAQC 0902 is supposed to end early April.  Another one will start shortly thereafter, but you never know which course you will be on, or how many other guys are wating ahead of you.  Some people got their course within a month of OTing, others have waited 9-10 months or more.  So you could luck out and be on the next course, you could be unlucky and not get a BAQC for up to a year. 

On another note, if you move to BC and are in Esquimalt, your file/transfer should happen there.  You could then very well end up doing your BTL time at 443 Sqn in Pat Bay.  That would put you in a good place to get some decent BTL OJT at 443, maybe even pop up the island to 407 Sqn for a peak into their world.  If you can wait out your BTL time at a MH or LRP Sqn, you're more likely to see some exposure to the working end of the trade.

EITS

Just wanted to add, there may very well be no open positions for AES Op for the remainder of this FY.  I don't know for sure, it just popped into my head though.  For the Reg Force people who are applying for OTs now, their selection board will happen late Jan/early Feb but their OT won't be effective until mid-July, meaning their spots will come from the SIP for the next fiscal year (starts 01 Apr 10).

You might want to ask the folks handling your CT or someone at a CFRC about that.  If AES Op is full until April...that should weigh into your decision making tree.  :christmas happy:

Well already took the position in Esquimalt, just thinking if I should take the full move out there.

The officer I had my interview with at the recruiting center said that there were no more spots for this FY but that DMCA have different numbers and stuff. So I guess I probably won't get an offer till at least the new numbers come out I suppose?

What does BTL stand for? Is this like a PAT training kind of thing? I know of one guy who got his CT October 27th to AES Op (that day after getting his air factor back) and is in Victoria doing some training waiting for a course.

BTL = Basic Training List.  Its kinda like a PAT deal.  OTs in the Reg Force will usually go to it to wait for their MOC course and posting following MOC qual.  Different bases have different ideas of what a BTL mbr should be doing, hence why I mentioned you could find yourself at 443 in PB.  Thats the type of spot you'd want to wait out your BAQC course loading at, IMO, vice say CBF Esquimalt counting sheets in Accn or something else more mind-numbing.

Back