• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signal Operator Breakdown & Deployment Duties?

Clarkey

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey All,

This is my first post! I have recently completed all testing and medicals, just waiting on the call now. I am hoping that my first choice of Signal Operator will be the offer I receive.

Before I continue I have to apologize if the information I have questions about is already posted, but I tried the search to no avail :(

1st question: After SQ what is the QL3 training like? (ie. mostly classroom time???) And if anyone here has been through it could you give a brief overview into courses taught?

2nd Question: If and when you get sent overseas on deployment in a combat zone what are your typical duties and do you ever actually go on patrols?

Again I apologize if this information is already available but the bloody search just turns up stuff I already know.

Thanks in advance for all your help, and keep up the good work on this site its invaluable to potential recruits.

Clarkey

Clarkey said:
1st question: After SQ what is the QL3 training like? (ie. mostly classroom time???) And if anyone here has been through it could you give a brief overview into courses taught?

More classroom and theory then practical, probably 75-25 mix.

Thanks alot, any signal ops here that have been posted overseas? Just wondering what a typical day would be on deployment (if there is such a thing as "typical").

During QL3 is there any downtime? Weekends off? How long is the average day?

Thanks again,
Clarkey

Average day depends on your course staff and what you happen to be doing at a given point in the course, 0530-1600 is probably pretty average, and yes, you'll be getting most weekends off, Kingston is a fairly nice spot to spend weekends off, and it's also in close proximity to such spots as Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, etc.

And sorry, have yet to go overseas, and not going to parrot anyone elses information given how many other sigs are here on the board to answer the question.

Thanks again. I also apologize if this info is already posted but the search turns up just the same old info thats posted on the recruiting website.

During QL3 is there any downtime? Weekends off? How long is the average day?

During three's you get pretty well every weekend off which in some cases I don't necessarily agree with. However you get most weekends off, once the day is done the day is done. I've had most evening off, might have had to work on kit a little bit but it's never been that hectic. Most evenings I've had time to go for a drive, go into town, etc.

G'day
Well, as a QL3 Op, your duties will probably tend to be a bit mundane. Shift work in the CP, and general go-fer stuff. Not likely any opportunities to get outside the wire. As much as it pains me to say it, my recommendation would be to get to JSR, beg and plead to get on an NCCIS crse, and look for deployment opportunities there.
If you do go to an HQ and Sigs, be keen and don't get into a slump of bitchin and complainin'. Your chances of being liberated to a Bde unit with the likelyhood of being deployed are magnified exponentially...(it doesn't hurt to find out what the next unit being deployed is either).
Finally, get your QL5 ASAP.
From my own personal perspective, I am about to deploy to Afghanistan for the third time in as many years, in a VERY non-traditional Sig Op role, and will very likely put me in the line of fire once again. Be careful what you wish for....

G'day
Well, as a QL3 Op, your duties will probably tend to be a bit mundane. Shift work in the CP, and general go-fer stuff. Not likely any opportunities to get outside the wire. As much as it pains me to say it, my recommendation would be to get to JSR, beg and plead to get on an NCCIS crse, and look for deployment opportunities there.
If you do go to an HQ and Sigs, be keen and don't get into a slump of bitchin and complainin'. Your chances of being liberated to a Bde unit with the likelyhood of being deployed are magnified exponentially...(it doesn't hurt to find out what the next unit being deployed is either).
Finally, get your QL5 ASAP.
From my own personal perspective, I am about to deploy to Afghanistan for the third time in as many years, in a VERY non-traditional Sig Op role, and will very likely put me in the line of fire once again. Be careful what you wish for....

Just wondering, if you get posted to lets say  Winnipeg which is a static posting are the oppurtunities for deployment still their???

G'day,
Unfortunately being at a static posting yourfirst time out is not very condusive to getting a deployment, however stranger things have happened.
I know one of your bosses in the Msg Center very well. Take every opportunity to shine and the rest will fall into place. Don't worry about getting on deployment soon. It's going to take a couple of years for you to get to that point.
My own opinoin is that QL-3 type should be going to JSR or the HQ and Sigs Sqns to get the basics down first. But you play the cards you are dealt. Good Luck out in Winterpeg and never pass up a chance.

Thanks for the replies and the info. Much appreciated.

Clarkey

1st,

you got posted static off your 3s?????

2nd,

A typical job is the CP as mentioned earlier but I just got back from the Sandbox and they had sig ops off their 3s at the FOBs.  I trained some of them on some new kit we delivered out to Martello.  You also have the opertunity to go with the battle group.  They were so short signallers in the Battle group they were taking Ptes as coy signallers.  As for a deployment from a static unit, it is not unheard of but is more difficult.

Just to be clear about the job as a Coy siggie. You would be under the Inf Mcpl designated as the Coy siggie, particularly as a no-hook Pte.

A correction to your last;
In 1RCR and A Coy 2VP (3-06), Coy Sigs are Sigs MCpl's and have been for a while.  Pl sigs are 031's.  That being said, an senior (experienced) operator Cpl/Pte is augmenting each Coy to cover over for LTA's and the general increased workload in FOBs and such.  Except those 3, all operator Cpl/Pte's are doing CP and IS stuff.  See you over there...

I sit corrected..(too hot to stand). 1 VP does things a little differently I guess...
Be there next week...

It's a new rule for the Comm Res that any reserve siggie going over to the Sandbox has to be PLQ qualified. For those Regforce sigops who have been over there do you find this to be a good rule or bad rule given the apparent short supply of Sig Ops? Although leadership skills are critical in the army, are the things you learn in PLQ really needed to be working in a CP in Afghanistan?

career_radio-checker said:
It's a new rule for the Comm Res that any reserve siggie going over to the Sandbox has to be PLQ qualified.

Where did you hear this?  There is no CRD on the matter, and we have guys over there at the moment who aren't PLQ qualified.

willy said:
Where did you hear this?  There is no CRD on the matter, and we have guys over there at the moment who aren't PLQ qualified.

From my unit tasking sgt. Actually I heard it first from Sig_Des, I didn't believe him but then our tasking sgt confirmed it.

I think it's just to ensure a level of maturity...and proof of commitment.
I expect some of the Res types may tale umbrage with that thought.

Well I work in the ops cell of a Comm Res unit, and this is definitely news to me.  That isn't to say that it can't possibly be true, but until I see the message....

Could anyone give me the same type of info, concerning sig officers (regular force)? I heard about different "routes" for sig officers. Some get sent off to Ottawa and do paperwork for the rest of their careers, while others get attached to field units for a while and get a chance to be deployed after spending a few years working with sig squadrons. Do you have any say in what you get to do? I realize I may change my mind with time and that it is a really important job, but working a desk job in a big government building is certainly NOT what I had in mind when I signed. And yeah, I'm well aware most of the officer's job is paperwork, but I hope that I'd at least be working with a troop.

Back