• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signal Operator Breakdown & Deployment Duties?

Hey guys!
i just applied for SigOp! i read alot about it, and it sparked my interest. i have a couple of questions tough,
i know the basics of sigOp duties, like transmitting information and installing communication stations and working with sattelite and radios, am i right? well i was wondering what more is there to it? i have my interview in 2 days, as i read the pamphlet they gave us to prepare, they asked for the "good and bad" about that trade, was wondering what would you say is the least interesting thing or the downside of being SigOp, also, im french and was wondering, does your language influence your posting, like if i prefered quebec city, would i have a better chance of going because im french?

Hi Marie. Congrats on choosing to get in. The recruiting center in Ottawa does a pretty good job.

Where you get posted depends on where they need you. In your case, it may also depend on if you do your courses in French or in English.

If you are completely fluent in French, and state that your preferred posting is Valcartier (Quebec City) then it's very likely you may end up there. But don't take that as gospel.

I did all my trades training in English, and while I'm completely fluent in both languages, and can work in French, on the technical side, I'm more comfortable in English.

It also depends what kind of job you want. I wanted more field oriented sigs. I've spent the last couple of years in Ottawa in what would be considered a 'static' unit, but spent some time in the field doing testing, and had a 3 month trip to Afghanistan just recently. A lot of travel involved as well.

The trade requires a good technical competency, quick thought and quick hands. An accurate memory is a definite asset, and a capability in communicating well, both in speech and in writing. An ability to function on little sleep, and a good sense of humour helps too.

I think the good of the trade is that there are so many aspects across the communications board that you can work in. The bad is that sometimes you may get stuck in one aspect that you may not enjoy as much.

If you have any questions, check the board, or feel free to ask.

Bonne chance!

Yeah good luck with the process Marie.  I'll say for you that you are one step ahead of the game if you are starting off bilingual.  Right now it's impossible to go to "the top" without being bilingual.  And although some may argue the fact that the Army will train a second language, it's a cost savings big time if you come in knowing both.  I've seen many meetings where it's quite difficult to determine exactly what the prodominant first language is.  And not knowing both, might mean you miss some of the sidebar conversations/comments.  ;)

Here's a quick tip......IF - you make it to your QL3 and find yourself being asked your 3 posting preferences (in order) and you are given say - 4 choices such as Valcartier, Petawawa, Kingston, and Edmonton.......and you really don't want to go to one of the 3.........make sure you don't put it as one of the 3.  It's funny how people think that just because something is third on their list, that there is less of a chance it will happen.  But like Sig Des said, you can't always get what you want.  And I'm seeing it more and more where people end up with choice #3 when they REALLY did not want to be there.

Bin

Back