• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signal Operators?

E

Egon

Good day, Just wanted to get in touch with someone presently employed as a Sig. Op for a few questions.
Thanks.

Hi!

It seems you‘re interested in being R215, or Sig Op.

Well, i‘m a Sig Op, so if you‘ve got some questions, let me know.

Gazza
TCCCS/Comms Guy

I was just wondering what the job of the Signal Operator was. I say some people with emlets (i think thats how you spell it...) that say signals on them what does that mean?

Well, you must be wondering what do the Signals Corps do eh?

According to CF Signals ‘Bible‘ the role of signals is:

"To provide Commanders and their staff with the means of command and control and to deny the enemy‘s use of the electromagnetic spectrum through the use of electronic warfare."

So in short, we link all the elements with a communications system. These are very exciting times for the CF to be introducing the IRIS system of digital comms equipment. The IRIS system leapfrogs CF tactical command and control into the 21st century! Hope you are familiar with the AN/PRC 522, 521, PDT, CIs etc... which are the various components of the entire IRIS system.

And for some extra trivia, Signals epaluettes for the French components of the CF are instead "transmissions." SO DON‘T EVER GO UP TO SOME SOLDIER WITH "TRANSMISSIONS" AND ASK HIM/HER TO FIX YOUR VEHICLE!!!! =P

I hope that this was rather enlightening!

TCCCS/Comms Guy

:D

You‘re trained with TCCCS? That must be cool, I can‘t wait until my 3‘s next year to try it out. WHen i think about it, Sig Op must be one of the coolest roles in the army. You‘re not doing as much physical gruntwork as the combat arms but doing enough that it still requires you to be in good physical condition, you‘re not doing as much administrative work as logistics but enough that you have to stay sharp mentally, and what‘s more, having knowledge of comms equipment enables you to work side by side with soldiers in other trades. Some of the Corporals who are missing during a parade day one day to offer support on an exercies may come back the next week and say "I just spent a week with the Engineers. They gave me a couple pounds of C4, and we blew up small farmhouses" I can‘t wait until I get more envolved with signals.

Any Sig Ops here? Anyone based in Kingston? Anyone in the Reserve Electronic Warfare Squadron?

I just dropped off my application package at the base. :)

I am a newly posted signalman at CFJSR....EW is for the Comms Rsch guys.

The whole regmnt is on SQ courses right now atually...

Is there anything you wanted to know in particular?

Actually, Aries, you aren't correct on that one.  The majority of the pers in an EW Sqn are Sig Ops.  There are rubberheads there too, but not a whole sqn's worth, by a long shot.

CrazyCanuck said:
Any Sig Ops here?  Anyone based in Kingston?  Anyone in the Reserve Electronic Warfare Squadron?

I just dropped off my application package at the base.    :)

I handed in my application to Res EW squadron in March actually. I was hoping to get on the BMQ/SQ course this summer in Shilo, Manitoba but it seems that my file sat idle at the recruiting centre for a few weeks so it seems very unlikely I will make it for the summer - I haven't even done the PT, Medical, or interview. Ah well, from what I hear they are running a BMQ course this fall part-time on the weekends, so that is most likely the course I will be loaded on once (or if) I am accepted into the unit.

willy said:
Actually, Aries, you aren't correct on that one.   The majority of the pers in an EW Sqn are Sig Ops.   There are rubberheads there too, but not a whole sqn's worth, by a long shot.

Just an added correction.  There are no reservist rubberheads, and the only one in Res EW is the reg force support guy.  When I was there in the 90's, there was also a reg force rad op, and int op (and some support types).  2 (EW) Sqn has a troop of rubberheads, and one troop of half rubberheads/half int ops.  Res EW is organized sort of the same way, but with rad ops substituted for rubberheads.

I'll find out more about this when I get out of this place I'm in now, and back to my home unit, but from what I've heard recently, we're supposed to be moving away from recruiting LCIS techs and starting to recruit for reserve comm research positions, even in the non-EW units of the comm reserve.  I don't personally think that makes all that much sense, but as you can imagine, I was not consulted in the decision making process.

That's a big change in the comm research world.  From my (outdated) knowledge of the community, I can easily picture how reservist rubberheads would be employed in Kingston and in Ottawa, but I have a hard time seeing how a 291er in Vancouver (for instance) might be usefully employed (or trained for that matter).  I also don't see any connection to moving away from recruiting LCIS techs.  Either DISO (or whatever they call themselves now) is out to lunch (which I'm not discounting as a possibility), or 291ers have taken on quite a bit of responsibilities that weren't part of their trade previously.

Well, as I said, I agree with you completely.  I can't honestly imagine just exactly how it is that res rubberheads are supposed to be gainfully employed.  Nonetheless, that seems (from what I have heard, at least) to be the current thing.  On the other hand however (and to play the devil's advocate) LCIS techs are a wasted resource within the comm res as well.  Not only do they require the same lenghty (12 month) QL3 trg as their reg counterparts, but they need the same QL4 as well, which is only available on a largish base, not to mention the fact that it is almost equally long.  I can almost see the case for not recruiting any more res LCIS techs, but the change to 291'ers doesnt' seem to make much sense to me.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I won't personally know for another two months or so.  If anyone knows any differently, please chime in.

Hey guys, I just wanted to know what the hours are like for a Sig Op, or in general for everybody when done trade training and having been posted to my new home where ever that may be. LOL Also if anybody knows what Sig Op Training is like. PLEASE let me know.I'm really interrested to know what I will be in for. Well thanks in advance. :salute:

Would anyone know if they would consider other degrees for Reserve Field Sig. Officer rather than technical ones like computer science and engineering? Someone told me they will consider you for the Communications Reserve Regiments with a non-technical degree (i.e. arts) on a case-by-case basis. Thanks in advance.

I start my SigOp MOC in Sept (reg) and apparently they work pretty good hours unlessy you're with a more of a field unit (ie Edmonton) in which cause you're hours are wacky. Mind you this is all hearsay but hey better then nothing...

I can only speak for my unit here in Kingston. Monday to Friday 0730 to 1600 unless on exercise or something comes up. It's my understanding that mosr HQ and Sigs work this way, it's just that other HQ and Sigs deploy more often than others on exercises.

As far as the training is concerned, i did mine 8 years ago, it's changed alot since then so I can't help you out there.

Back