• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Simon Logan v. Her Majesty The Queen

hmmmm have to wonder about that "release" clerk and the use of terms. I have never released anyone from Class C to Reserves as Class C is Reserves. The only change in systems was the pay system which again is not a release, releases are admin which would be done in HRMS/Guardian. In there it was simply posting the Class C in a host profile from start to end date after which the member would go back to Class A. No release involved. The only issue with extending a Class C due to injury is that it had to be done before the end date or it became an RFC. I have always tried to carefully avoid the use of the term "release" in these cases as it isn't a release.

Now if they would only get pass using releases to transfer between reserves and regular force.

In certain instances, primarily related to entitlements under the CFSA, a release / re-enrol is necessary to trigger benefits.

I asked the lawyers if risk/hardship is included for reservists receiving it at time of injury and the answer was yes. If it wasn't I don't see why I would be included in this lawsuit in the first place.

"SISIP LTD Allowances Class Action

CLASS ACTION REGARDING THE CALCULATION OF LONG TERM DISABILITY BENEFITS UNDER DIVISION 2, PART III(B) of SISIP POLICY #901102

Simon Logan v. His Majesty The King

Federal Court of Canada Number T-1358-18

UPDATE: April 13, 2023

Earlier today, the Federal Court heard the parties’ motion to approve the settlement agreement.
At the end of the hearing, the Court advised that it will issue its decision in writing at a later date.

We will post an update as soon as we receive the Court’s decision."

From their website SISIP LTD Allowances Class Action Lawyers | McInnes Cooper

Hopefully hear something back on this soon.

Anyone have any idea how this is going to play with the LTD portion of a voc rehab program? Will it apply to the 90% top-up from VAC, or will it be clawed back by VAC because they're using the "monthly salary" instead of "monthly pay" or some such?

SISIP covered me for 2 years, then VAC covered me off a little longer while I was searching for work, so I'm curious as to how it will apply to each.

Anyone have any idea how this is going to play with the LTD portion of a voc rehab program? Will it apply to the 90% top-up from VAC, or will it be clawed back by VAC because they're using the "monthly salary" instead of "monthly pay" or some such?

SISIP covered me for 2 years, then VAC covered me off a little longer while I was searching for work, so I'm curious as to how it will apply to each.
VAC will claw back anything that is added to someones monthly LTD payment but only once VAC completes that calculation. So if SISIP starts paying the added allowance amount to someones LTD now and VAC takes 6 months to calculate the claw back amount VAC won't touch the 6 months that that person already received. VAC will not claw back any lump sum amount given either.

SISIP LTD Allowances Class Action​

CLASS ACTION REGARDING THE CALCULATION OF LONG TERM DISABILITY BENEFITS UNDER DIVISION 2, PART III(B) of SISIP POLICY #901102

Simon Logan v. His Majesty The King

Federal Court of Canada Number T-1358-18

UPDATE: April 25, 2023

The Court has issued its decision to approve the settlement of this class action.
You can read the Court’s decision here: T-1358-18.OrderAndReasons.

hmmmm have to wonder about that "release" clerk and the use of terms. I have never released anyone from Class C to Reserves as Class C is Reserves. The only change in systems was the pay system which again is not a release, releases are admin which would be done in HRMS/Guardian. In there it was simply posting the Class C in a host profile from start to end date after which the member would go back to Class A. No release involved. The only issue with extending a Class C due to injury is that it had to be done before the end date or it became an RFC. I have always tried to carefully avoid the use of the term "release" in these cases as it isn't a release.

Now if they would only get pass using releases to transfer between reserves and regular force.
I have had to "release" from the Reg Force three times. Once for every Class C tour I was on. And I confirmed that the paperwork was "release" paperwork. Seemed very odd to me at the time.

I emailed manulife and sent them a copy of my CASH sheet from the tour where I got injured. I stated that I was a class C reservist injured in a SDA while on Class C. Almost a month went by but… I finally got a reply today from some one with the title “Calculation Analyst”. This is what she said:

“Thank you for sending in your CASH sheet. We are not currently adjusting for this. However, we will keep it in your file. We expect to start adjustments in September and someone will reach out to you then.”

So I guess the one year to process 50% of claimants must start in September.

I emailed manulife and sent them a copy of my CASH sheet from the tour where I got injured. I stated that I was a class C reservist injured in a SDA while on Class C. Almost a month went by but… I finally got a reply today from some one with the title “Calculation Analyst”. This is what she said:

“Thank you for sending in your CASH sheet. We are not currently adjusting for this. However, we will keep it in your file. We expect to start adjustments in September and someone will reach out to you then.”

So I guess the one year to process 50% of claimants must start in September.
I was also PRes, how can we make sure Manulife have our name?

This applies only if you are in receipt of LTD. If you are in receipt of LTD, then Manulife has your name.

UPDATE: June 15, 2023

On April 24, 2023, the Court approved the settlement agreement in this class action.
The Court’s order is expected to become final on June 23, 2023. At that time, the class action administrator Manulife will begin payments to the Class.

With limited exceptions for deceased Class Members and Class Members with appeals, each Class Member will receive their retroactive payment within the next two years.

UPDATE: June 15, 2023

On April 24, 2023, the Court approved the settlement agreement in this class action.
The Court’s order is expected to become final on June 23, 2023. At that time, the class action administrator Manulife will begin payments to the Class.

With limited exceptions for deceased Class Members and Class Members with appeals, each Class Member will receive their retroactive payment within the next two years.
Has this update been removed from the McInnes Cooper class website? I don't see it anymore. Curious.

I don't see it anymore the latest update is showing April 25th.

Back