• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sleeping Brit Prof on Air Canada Plane Wakes Up in Hangar

Maybe the prof is deaf.  Was he carrying his earing aid with him during the flight?  Kidding aside...

Yep i agree with him, i think it's the flight crew's fault for sure for not doin their job properly after a flight. 

Is it part of their job to check every flight manifest after every arrivals though?

recceguy said:
Follow the directions on the door and deploy the slide ;D

My second out-loud laugh of the day!  Someone would only have to do THAT once to get companies to change their processes pretty quickly.

recceguy said:
Follow the directions on the door and deploy the slide ;D
I'm almost certain they would find some excuse to sue me for doing that, but it would be well worth it.

spear said:
Maybe the prof is deaf.  Was he carrying his earing aid with him during the flight?  Kidding aside...

Yep i agree with him, i think it's the flight crew's fault for sure for not doin their job properly after a flight. 

Is it part of their job to check every flight manifest after every arrivals though?

No, but the cabin crew are supposed to ensure no one is left on the plane prior to exiting the aircraft. Unless it is an international flight, no one counts the passengers deplaning to compare with the manifest. On international flights, Customs will track the people coming through customs and the flight they were on compared to the manifest.

I checked the same flight number that operates tomorrow and they are using a CRJ-100. It seats 50 passengers and when I worked for AC they could man it with one flight attendant as long as the passenger load was less then 38 or 40 people (I can't remember which). That has now been changed and the CAR's state (standard 725.104) that only one flight attendant is required for aircraft with 50 passenger seats or less. So in this case if you had one flight attendant that had to deal with multiple wheelchair passengers and after everyone deplaned, they glanced in the RJ (which is not a large aircraft) while grabbing their crew bags they probably assumed everything was fine (who sleeps through a landing, landing announcements, and deplaning anyways??). In my opinion it still was negligance on the part of the In-Charge flight attendant to not perform a full aircraft walk through. I think AC's response was sufficient alos, they took responsibility and offered 20% off on 4 tickets. They guy was delayed 90 minutes and he obviously didn't suffer any duress (unlike the blind 18 year old on the United flight probably did) since he was sleeping the whole time. The mechanic woke him up and got him off the plane and on his way. I wonder if they offered him the discount before or after he sent the complaint through? If he hadn't of sent the complaint, would they have compensated him or apologized at all?

Besides checking to making sure the aircraft is empty, shouldn't the crew be also checking for left behind articles (purses, wallets, glasses, IPod's, etc). And once the plane the plane is empty I would suppose that a clean-up crew would come in and pick-up any garbage, take out any left over food/booze/water, etc or replenish if aircraft was being used again. The fact that the guy was left alone for 90 minutes and surely someone during that time period should have noticed him sleeping there.

Retired AF Guy said:
Besides checking to making sure the aircraft is empty, shouldn't the crew be also checking for left behind articles (purses, wallets, glasses, IPod's, etc). And once the plane the plane is empty I would suppose that a clean-up crew would come in and pick-up any garbage, take out any left over food/booze/water, etc or replenish if aircraft was being used again. The fact that the guy was left alone for 90 minutes and surely someone during that time period should have noticed him sleeping there.

It's not in the contract....therefore you don't do it...

Retired AF Guy said:

Checking for articles is done by the groomers (cleaning crew) and if it was the last flight of the night and the plane was headed to a hangar the groomers wouldn't work it till after it was parked in the hangar.

DexOlesa said:
Checking for articles is done by the groomers (cleaning crew) and if it was the last flight of the night and the plane was headed to a hangar the groomers wouldn't work it till after it was parked in the hangar.

Thanks for the info.

Back