• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to get life saving anti-sniper device

RHFC_piper

Reaction score
Thought this seemed kind of interesting...  If it actually works in operational theater it would save lives.  Thoughts?

------------------------------------------------

Soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan to get life saving anti-sniper device
article link

British and American forces fighting the guerilla insurgence in Iraq and Afghanistan could soon be protected by an anti-sniper device that can pinpoint the position of the shooter within a fraction of a second.

The palm-sized device designed by Qinetiq, the British defence firm that was once the government research laboratories, is pinned to the uniform and uses acoustic technology to calculate the exact position of the rifle fire.

Then a electronic voice passes on the "bearing and range" to the soldier allowing him to jump to safety and return fire.
More on link

This could definitely be used as an amazing tool to counteract sniper fire. I however hesitate a bit because this needs to be handled carefully. For example in a crowded city, when it gives you the information that proper fire control is given so that the initial reaction isn't simply "sniper fire from *here*, get a .50 on that house!" because we all know how faulty some technology can be. Though it being used as a proper means of hunting down snipers and not simply reactions that could possibly enable some serious collateral damage would make it a fine tool. To be fair my comment has less to do with the device but rather how it is used, so my endorsement stands for it in the end.

-C/D

Interesting piece of hardware, too bad it has to wait till the sniper takes a shot.

Cheers.

Cognitive-Dissonance said:
This could definitely be used as an amazing tool to counteract sniper fire. I however hesitate a bit because this needs to be handled carefully. For example in a crowded city, when it gives you the information that proper fire control is given so that the initial reaction isn't simply "sniper fire from *here*, get a .50 on that house!" because we all know how faulty some technology can be. Though it being used as a proper means of hunting down snipers and not simply reactions that could possibly enable some serious collateral damage would make it a fine tool. To be fair my comment has less to do with the device but rather how it is used, so my endorsement stands for it in the end.

-C/D

Do you have to always try to antagonize the membership here?  With your sotto voce manner of getting attention, you try to engage in any debate possible.

Now it is finding "Collateral" Damage from a useful device.

Sad, really it is.

dileas

tess

-C/D

You don't know what you're talking about. Simple speculation on something you don't understand.

Tic...toc...tic...t

Great invention!

I was in Baghdad when Juba reined, and if this device was present then, I am sure it would have saved many lives, no matter how it was deployed. Snipers in Baghdad took many Coaltion soldiers during my tour. We were the lucky ones.

However, we did capture a number of 7.62 x 54mm SVD's and the unique 7.62 x 39mm Tabuk sniper variant, of some in which I personally completed the paperwork courtesy of the AHU (Army History Unit) in Canberra, and now some of these rifles are on display or held by both the Australian War Memorial, and the Infantry Museum at Singleton NSW.

Sniping, along with IED/EFP was a daily threat, and the only obvious countermeasure we had for snipers was to drop down into our hatches through choke points and infamous known sniper areas when we slowed down enough to give them a clear and easy shot at us. We remained dilligent and always presented ourselves as hard targets. In my belief, our hard posture was half the battle of not luring a tempting sniper (these guys are not and were not stupid), who lays in wait for an easy kill. The Type II LAVs with RWS and .50 M2 QCB's were also a bonus, the C/C was buttoned up, monitering his screen, and ready to "light 'em up" if required.

OWDU.

I however hesitate a bit because this needs to be handled carefully. For example in a crowded city, when it gives you the information that proper fire control is given so that the initial reaction isn't simply "sniper fire from *here*, get a .50 on that house!" because we all know how faulty some technology can be.

Are you implying this is what our soldiers do?

Infanteer said:

Actually, I think he is indicating that he doesn't know a smick of what he is talking about.

Snafu-Bar said:
Interesting piece of hardware, too bad it has to wait till the sniper takes a shot.

Cheers.
That's what I was thinking. But one has to remember that armour has saved many lives from snipers. I don't know the numbers for sure though.

Infanteer said:

No, I don't think the Canadian Forces has that problem. From my experiences and the precedent set by past operations, the CF has shown it to be quite competent overall with its force projection and subsequent collateral damage. I am more worried about other nation's armed forces, that dont show the same restraint that we do in our line of duty.

-C/D

hmmm, maybe like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXMjh_XbkiI

notice the "Allah Akbar" got louder after he sees the guy get up ;D

cheers,
Frank

The problem with these devices is they are not good in an urban environment where the sound waves reverberate from building.  Secondly a lot of insurgent snipers use suppressed (even ghetto suppressed) systems, that deny the thump of expanding muzzle gasses. 

Infidel-6 said:
The problem with these devices is they are not good in an urban environment where the sound waves reverberate from building.  Secondly a lot of insurgent snipers use suppressed (even ghetto suppressed) systems, that deny the thump of expanding muzzle gasses. 
Absolutely.
The only reliable way to get an accurate direction (with current technology) would be with some sort of radar device. However, I don't think there is anything out there that fast, powerful and portable to be effective in tracking small bullets.

cheers,
Frank

No, I don't think the Canadian Forces has that problem. From my experiences and the precedent set by past operations, the CF has shown it to be quite competent overall with its force projection and subsequent collateral damage. I am more worried about other nation's armed forces, that dont show the same restraint that we do in our line of duty.

-C/D

::)

I am more worried about other nation's armed forces, that dont show the same restraint that we do in our line of duty.

Welcome to the warning system.

PanaEng said:
Absolutely.
The only reliable way to get an accurate direction (with current technology) would be with some sort of radar device. However, I don't think there is anything out there that fast, powerful and portable to be effective in tracking small bullets.

cheers,
Frank

There is, but all our vehicles would end up looking like Divisional Antenna Farms.  For those familiar with the old Super Dart Range in Gagetown, or perhaps some of the Ranges in the States, where there is no one in the Butts and your shot is indicated on a monitor at the firing position, you will know that such technology has been around for quite some time.  My youngest brother asked me years ago if such technology would be good for the military, when he was working on a project to adjust automobile suspensions using sensors to detect potholes and other roadway "imperfections".  The technology is there, but the time and expense of installing and training operators is probably impractical at the moment.

George,
  Yes technically it  possible -- however not just antena farms but a metric but load of computers.  Look at the ATS ranges, which still botch a lot of shots, and the location of the weapon is a given...

While sniper defeat systems are backburnered compared to IED defeat, there is still a lot of time and money going into trying to solve this puzzle as well.

-C/D

So, a few Thursday nights at the armoury gives you the background to speak on the use of force by Canadian and American (because I know that's what you tapdanced around) military forces.

Quite a slap in the face to many US servicemen and women, some members of this site.  Quit being a turd and stay in your lane - you deserved that warning.

We must not forget about the Australian contingent in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and the other nations so committed.

I thought this INDIVIDUAL was having a personal dig aimed at me, deliberatly hoping for a firey engagement, and no doubt cause a scene, but thats not worth losing my much valued membership on this site. I've come to far to be shot down by my fellow colleagues for an aggressive over reaction.

Patience is a virture someone once said. I have made the wise decision, and have chosen to put Cog-Dis on permanent IGNORE, as he is not worth getting my blood pressure up anymore. Others should follow the IGNORE train of thought.

Serenity Now,

In the meantime, it's  :pop:

OWDU

Back