• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers squander disability payouts

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/new-veterans-charter-shortchanges-our-disabled-soldiers/article1682761/

Alice Aiken and Amy Buitenhuis

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail
Published on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2010 5:00AM EDT

Last updated on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2010 8:53AM EDT

.The decision not to reappoint the Veterans Ombudsman to a second term has put the spotlight on the New Veterans Charter, federal legislation that determines the programs and services available to veterans injured in the service of their country. Our financial analysis shows that the charter does not adequately meet the needs of veterans who are severely disabled.

The New Veterans Charter, which came into effect in 2006, was established by Veterans Affairs Canada to meet the needs of “new” veterans, especially those who have served in Afghanistan. The assumption is that these veterans have different needs from those who served in the Second World War and Korea or with United Nations peacekeeping missions. The charter provides an earnings loss benefit, a financial award and other allowances to veterans who have been assessed as having a service-related disability. It replaces the Pension Act, which provided these benefits to “traditional” veterans under a different legal structure. The single biggest difference is that the charter offers a one-time lump-sum disability award, whereas the Pension Act offered a monthly tax-free pension for life and a survivor benefit.

Our analysis compared financial programs offered under the charter with those offered under the Pension Act. We also determined the effects of factors such as degree of disability, rank and family status on the total financial benefits available under both plans.

We created and examined the case of a 40-year-old male army captain who is injured and discharged from the Canadian Forces. We assumed he has a disability assessment of 80 per cent, a classification given by Veterans Affairs based on severity of disability, either psychological or physical. This classifies him as “severely disabled” and depends not only on the diagnosis but also on how it affects his life. The financial benefits under both the charter and the Pension Act were totalled and compared. We also assumed that the captain was married with two children.

It was found that, in today’s dollars, assuming this veteran lived to be 78 and that he was entitled to all financial benefits, he would have received a total of $1,479,854 under the Pension Act and $967,203 under the New Veterans Charter. This means that, under the charter, this officer would receive only 65 per cent of what he would have been entitled to had he been injured before 2006.

Additional analyses showed that the Pension Act is more sensitive to factors that may increase a veteran’s financial need. If our captain’s disability was assessed at 100 per cent, for example, the charter would award him only 58 per cent ($1,022,419) of what he would have received under the Pension Act ($1,755,187). The charter doesn’t take into account marital status or number of children; so, under the Pension Act, a veteran’s pension is higher still if he’s married or has children. In addition, the Pension Act provides more money per year lived after 65 than does the charter. Finally, a higher military rank provides more money under the charter even if the severity of the injury to the captain and his higher ranked comrade are the same and might have resulted from the same incident. No such rank/entitlement discrimination exists in the Pension Act.

Our analysis included all programs under the New Veterans Charter. But some of the programs are very restrictive and not frequently awarded. For example, the permanently incapacitated allowance, a monthly amount paid to veterans permanently and severely impaired, has been awarded to only 16 people. This equates to 0.1 per cent of the 20,796 veterans receiving financial allowances under the charter. It’s unlikely, therefore, that our captain would qualify for this allowance.

Our study demonstrates that veterans are financially disadvantaged under the New Veterans Charter. In addition, the compensation gap between the charter and the Pension Act widens if a veteran lives longer, has more children, has a higher disability assessment or is released at a lower rank. Changes need to be made to this charter if members of the Canadian Forces, and Canadians generally, are to be assured that severely disabled veterans receive compensation equivalent to that under the Pension Act.

Alice Aiken is an assistant professor in the School of Rehabilitation Therapy at Queen’s University. Amy Buitenhuis is a research student with the Canadian Disability Policy Alliance at Queen’s.

Original link

War vets underpaid, study finds
New compensation system deemed to be short-changing most troops

By MURRAY BREWSTER
The Canadian Press
Mon, Aug 30 - 4:53 AM

OTTAWA — Ordinary soldiers wounded in the line of duty, veterans with families and the most severely disabled of troops are the biggest losers under Ottawa’s new system of compensating those who’ve put their lives on the line for their country, says an independent analysis.

The detailed actuarial study, commissioned by the Veterans Ombudsman’s office and obtained by The Canadian Press, was presented last year to Veterans Affairs Canada, but the department sat on the document and has not formally responded to its findings.

The 77-page report compared the system of lump-sum payments and qualified benefits under the New Veterans Charter and the old policy of guaranteed lifetime pensions, which was set up for soldiers after the Second World War.

The findings buttress the vocal arguments made by outgoing Veterans Ombudsman Pat Stogran, whose term the Conservative government has refused to renew.

Stogran, a blunt-talking former army colonel, accused federal bureaucrats earlier this month of "penny-pinching" veterans and stonewalling or killing his efforts to improve benefits for former servicemen and women.

The study found senior officers, the ones at the highest end of the pay scale, benefited the most from the new system. The lower the rank, the worse off the soldiers become and it gets even more difficult if the wounded veteran is married and midway through their career.

"Based on our assumptions, we are of the opinion that the actuarial present values of benefits identified in our evaluation offered through the (New Veterans Charter) are lower, in the majority of cases, than the actuarial present values of benefits offered under the Pension Act," says a final report by Aon Consulting Inc., dated Dec. 18, 2009.

It determined that young, single soldiers come out slightly ahead under the new system — as long as their cash settlements are invested with a rate of return between 3.75 and four per cent. But critics have warned that many young, wounded troops are blowing their payments.

War widows and orphans are better off with the new system, says the report.

The study took aim at the lump-sum payments, which can be up to $276,000 for the most severe injuries. It concluded that over time the previous system left soldiers with more money in their pockets and that the existing one-time payout was too cheap.

Aon Consulting created an actuarial model and entered more than 600 profiles of potential cases, which were then evaluated. In almost every instance, taking into account gender, age, family status, level of disability and pre-injury income, soldiers at the bottom end of the pay scale came out poorer.

"The Disability Award payable under the (New Veterans Charter) does not appear to be sufficient to compensate for these differences in the majority of cases," said the exhaustive study.

Critics have long argued that the lump sum payout was too cheap and point to Britain where injured soldiers are offered tax-free payments equivalent to $929,000.

Veterans Affairs has argued that wounded soldiers receive other stipends in addition to the lump-sum payment, including earnings loss protection and income support. The Aon study factored in those additional benefits and the numbers still came out the same.

That’s because, unlike the previous system, most of the new benefits are subject to income tax.

Soldiers permanently disabled in Afghanistan, by a roadside bomb as an example, must pay tax on their permanent impairment allowance, while the old system of exceptional incapacity allowance was tax-free.

The taxation erosion of benefits gets even worse when you factor in where the soldier lives. Those in highly taxed provinces, such as those on the East Coast, get slammed even harder, according to the analysis.

Female soldiers, since they have a tendency to live longer than men, are also hurt by the new system.

The study encompassed both permanently and partially disabled veterans, as well as war widows.

Veterans Affairs is reviewing the impact of the New Veterans Charter, and minister Jean-Pierre Blackburn noted the ombudsman’s analysis.

"I am pleased that this study demonstrates that certain clients, such as survivors and orphans, benefit from the NVC. For clients for whom the NVC seems less advantageous, this is something that we are currently looking into," he said.

"Therefore, as I said many times, the Charter is a living document and something I am ready to act on. Soon, I will receive a full evaluation of all the services and financial aspects of the Charter and I will be in a position to make decisions."

He did not say why the department has not responded directly to Stogran’s office.

"New compensation system deemed to be short-changing most troops"

Is that to imply that the old system did no such thing ?  ;D

"soldiers at the bottom end of the pay scale came out poorer."

You got that right !
:yellow:

I find it funnt that NONE of my buddies are getting "permanent impairment allowance". I would love to see the numbers of those who are getting it. To me it seems like a fancy catch phrase/ smoke and mirrors. How permantely impaired does one have to be?

dogger1936 said:
I find it funny that NONE of my buddies are getting "permanent impairment allowance". I would love to see the numbers of those who are getting it. To me it seems like a fancy catch phrase/ smoke and mirrors. How permanently impaired does one have to be?

Well here is VAC response to the OVO Office...The following is in response to Ombudsman Observation Paper #03-2009
(February 13, 2009):

http://tinyurl.com/27jwr6p

Now I have read this many times and I still am not sure what they mean in this mumbo jumbo

Bin-Rat said:
Well here is VAC response to the OVO Office...The following is in response to Ombudsman Observation Paper #03-2009
(February 13, 2009):

http://tinyurl.com/27jwr6p

Now I have read this many times and I still am not sure what they mean in this mumbo jumbo

Smoke and mirrors mixed with government none speak

Actually it says to me that they got smacked right between the eyes with the law of unintended consequences.  Unfortunate, but not intentional.  It also says that they are unaware of any specific cases where a resolution has not been found, but they are open to reviewing other cases if identified.  In short, Veterans Affairs is saying they will deal with cases that fall outside the intent, but they're not going to make any broad policy changes without evidence that the problem is big enough to warrant them.

This is not an unreasonable approach.  Bureaucrats do not lie awake at night dreaming up ways to screw people.  Most want to do the right thing, but unfortunately, the "right thing" can be a matter of perspective and the right thing for one person, may not be the right thing for another.  As long as there is a review and appeal process that keeps the intent, vice the letter, of the policy in mind, everything should be OK.  It is pretty much impossible to write policy that will keep everybody happy.

Pusser said:
  It is pretty much impossible to write policy that will keep everybody happy.

They don't have to keep every one happy ...................... just the veterans

Pusser said:
Bureaucrats do not lie awake at night dreaming up ways to screw people.

That's what they have their day job for!

Tank Troll said:
They don't have to keep every one happy ...................... just the veterans

However, "veterans" are not a single homogenous group for whom a single policy will work.  Every veteran has different needs and desires.  Unhappy veterans are not a new phenomenon with the NVC. 

Pusser said:
However, "veterans" are not a single homogeneous group for whom a single policy will work.  Every veteran has different needs and desires.  Unhappy veterans are not a new phenomenon with the NVC. 

I don't know a single Veteran happy with the NVC. If there is one out there please introduce yourself and tell me why you like it. I understand that you are going to make everyone happy........................but if no one is happy then there is a serious problem.

Tank Troll said:
I don't know a single Veteran happy with the NVC. If there is one out there please introduce yourself and tell me why you like it. I understand that you are going to make everyone happy........................but if no one is happy then there is a serious problem.

Agreed. give me 1 person injured in Afganistan who is pleased with what they got. Then I will agree with pusser. Otherwise I'm gonna go with smoke and mirrors.

dogger1936 said:
Agreed. give me 1 person injured in Afganistan who is pleased with what they got. Then I will agree with pusser. Otherwise I'm gonna go with smoke and mirrors.

You don't have to have been injured in Afghanistan. None of us were happy with our treatment before that either.

Only folks I have talked with of that might be remotely classed as satisfied with the results are all pre-NVC clients.  Anyone of the post-NVC era I have talked to,  every man jack of them feel they got f***ed by VA, but are helpless and had to take what they were offered or get SFA.  Sorry Pusser, but I can't agree to be "Pusser" and are with d1936, TT and recceg.

recceguy said:
You don't have to have been injured in Afghanistan. None of us were happy with our treatment before that either.

Agreed. however I think the public needs to see the guys with parts missing with what he's been offered. Some were gonna....yet it was suggested they didnt. I'd love to see who get's PIA as well. I got many friends and maybe even myself who I would think would get PIA...yet...no one knows anythign about it..im gonna look into this tomorrow.

I've been told I need to be more posative...so  Iwill say that when dealing with the frnot line workers (the Pension assistants) they were friendly and great to work with! Whn I attack VAC it's the policy not these hard working people....how appeals are handled...thats a whole other can of worms.

You soldiers on here send me PMs with your concerns.  Love to hear the stories, and we do have people that can help.

Tank Troll said:

Happy people generally don't complain and so those who do complain, although very vocal, are often also in the minority.

Having said that, I am not thrilled with some aspects of the NVC either and I am not supporting it over the Pension Act.  However, as I have said on numerous occasions on this forum (and even in this thread), winning a dispute requires the logical presentation of verifiable facts in support of your argument.  Simply jumping up and down and screaming that something is wrong (standard naval debating society tactics notwithstanding) will only serve to cloud the argument and cause you to lose.  We need to remove the emotion from the debate and stick to the facts.  Does the NVC really and truly screw people over, OR do veterans simply believe they are being screwed over because the NVC deals with things in a different way?  You also have to look at the entire package when making the assessment.  Singling out benefits for one on one comparison does not necessarily help your argument either.

Pusser said:
Happy people generally don't complain and so those who do complain, although very vocal, are often also in the minority.

Having said that, I am not thrilled with some aspects of the NVC either and I am not supporting it over the Pension Act.  However, as I have said on numerous occasions on this forum (and even in this thread), winning a dispute requires the logical presentation of verifiable facts in support of your argument.  Simply jumping up and down and screaming that something is wrong (standard naval debating society tactics notwithstanding) will only serve to cloud the argument and cause you to lose.  We need to remove the emotion from the debate and stick to the facts.  Does the NVC really and truly screw people over, OR do veterans simply believe they are being screwed over because the NVC deals with things in a different way?  You also have to look at the entire package when making the assessment.  Singling out benefits for one on one comparison does not necessarily help your argument either.

Pusser,

Very well said, you capture my sentiments to a tee.

dileas

tess

Pusser said:

Its pretty basic Pusser. THose of you who were serving like me in Bosnia et al got a monthly payment for minor little things.
Lets use PTSD as an example., as I know people who have it from Bosnia. He is recieveing 1600 dollars a month tax free
for the rest of his life. While continuing to serve in a high rank position. A Mcpl here in my unit got 80,000 and thats it. Do some math.

Back