• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers squander disability payouts

George Wallace said:
Not to get too personal, but it sounds like you should probably be on a Medical pension right now.  I had a Cpl working for me, who was collecting a Medical pension of approx $700 a month tax free due to his damaged knees.  He was collecting this while still serving.  VAC and SISIP cover different things, and I am not clear as to what his exact benefits were from each, other than he was really pissed at one deducting the others pension in their calculating of entitlements.  Drop in on your Reps and find out, or see one of the Legion Reps to help you out. 

I have a feeling that some, perhaps many, don't know that they do not have to be Released before collecting a Medical pension.

Thats very interesting George.
I knew of quite a few guys who were collecting medical pensions while still in. However I thought that was only under the old system. I know I will still get my VAC settlement as a lump sum due to the new rules, and still will be able to serve.  If anyone knows anything on this further please help me out! Im learning moe from discussions with people than im drawling from the written word...Im having huge concentration issues ...that being the largest problem.

I am in the system with VAC......now just waiting.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
dogger have you called the JPSU/IPSC?

They can assist you.

Very, very wise advice, I second that, dogger.

Just watch out for the crotchety Sgt. Major types.  The OSISS fellows are usually neat.  ;)

dileas

tess

Mid Aged Silverback said:
dogger have you called the JPSU/IPSC?

They can assist you.

the 48th regulator said:

Just watch out for the crotchety Sgt. Major types.  The OSISS fellows are usually neat.  ;)

dileas

tess

I will "third" this!  Absolutly contact JPSU/IPSC.

JPSU/IPSC has a lot of resources* and direct lines to VAC, D Med Pol and SISIP. 

(* I would go as far to say "a metric sh!t-load" of resources.. far more than can be written here.)

I was lucky enough to have a very switched on assisting officer who jumped through a lot of hoops (and pissed off all the wrong people) to ensure I got squared away. Now that the JPSU exists, there aren't as many hoops to jump through, and far less middle-men to piss off.

Just keep in mind; it is JPSU's entire job to know how to take care of injured soldiers.  This includes how to make use of all the resources available to them; reference note above *.

This really turned into a trainwreck. Glad it is getting back on track. I was screwed too till I got an assisting Officer. I went the route of documenting how I was treated. Eventually got fed up and rattled some cages way above my pay scale. When the disciplinary action started I forwarded all my info. Then got an apology and a Major for an advocate.

Lump sum still blows though. Wish I would have applied earlier when it was still the old system. The little things about getting injured are often what really hurts. How your wife looks at you changes, or how she is always worried about money. Having your dad not tell you he is laying the new patio stones,...

Nemo888 said:
This really turned into a trainwreck. Glad it is getting back on track. I was screwed too till I got an assisting Officer. I went the route of documenting how I was treated. Eventually got fed up and rattled some cages way above my pay scale. When the disciplinary action started I forwarded all my info. Then got an apology and a Major for an advocate.

Lump sum still blows though. Wish I would have applied earlier when it was still the old system. The little things about getting injured are often what really hurts. How your wife looks at you changes, or how she is always worried about money. Having your dad not tell you he is laying the new patio stones,...

The dad not tell you he is laying the new patio stones is always the trigger....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:

dileas

tess

There are no crotchety Sgt Major types in the JPSU!! Just a bit crusty!!  ;D

But there is one thing we all have in common: We all want to see the soldiers get the proper treatment in a timely fashion.

We're really all big softies in the JPSU!! ;)

.... according to this from Postmedia News:
.... Blackburn also said the government is looking at ways of improving the lump-sum payment provided disabled veterans, along with 75 per cent of their "pre-release" salary during rehabilitation.

"I'm not saying that we will deliver more money but if some people don't have the capacity to have all that money at one moment, we will offer them other solutions," he said. "For example, if somebody receives $100,000 because he's got injuries, maybe we could deliver the money in three or five payments."

While a department survey showed the majority of disabled veterans like the lump-sum system and used or invested the money wisely and efficiently, it is among the most frequently criticized aspects of the New Veterans Charter ....

Is that a solution!

I believe the main reason soldiers are "squandering" their payouts is due to the very little amount of money you get for coming back ****** up.

Personally I understand why the 20,000 payout is blown the week they get it. It's going to pay off their cars so they don't have bill's. So thats one less stress when they are booted out/ released to start a new life.

What majority of veterans like the lump sum? From all my comrades who were blown clean out of their vehicles who woke up a bloody mess, who woke up in bagram without recolection of WTF happened who deal with nightmares everynight of seeing 19 year old soldiers in pieces, who are in  constant pain now and worsening...find the payment they are getting a punch in the face.

Again some smoke and mirrors to make the new veterans charter seem awesome to the Canadian public. Any civilian I have told about what I get or what my friends get...they are shocked. They assume you put your life on the line, you almost die, you get taken care of.

Want to fix this "squandering?" lets go back to the old system of tax free pensions every month for the rest of the soldiers lifes. At least then they have something.

So basically, if you are blown to pieces and are permanently disabled, you get a payout of 250k? What about the pension you would have earned after a 30yr career? Does this differ for reg and PRes? Is there anything else out there for these men and women, or is it just 'here is your money, have a nice life'?

Jayell said:
.......... What about the pension you would have earned after a 30yr career?

If you have served 30 years, then you get a pension for that time.  If you haven't served 30 years, you do not get a pension for 30 years of service.  There is no change there.

Jayell said:
So basically, if you are blown to pieces and are permanently disabled, you get a payout of 250k? What about the pension you would have earned after a 30yr career? Does this differ for reg and PRes? Is there anything else out there for these men and women, or is it just 'here is your money, have a nice life'?

You have to be really messed up to get 250k. We got guys losing limbs and basically getting a years pay. There are programs there to help transfer into civilian life, owever I believe the troops deserve the same pensions the previous generation recieved. I don't know how they thought this was a good idea for the troops....except on a VAC spreadsheet on how they can save money over time.

One person on here mentioned that the thinking behind the payouts was that soldiers would invest payout funds on their own in order to form a portion of their future income.  Is that speculation or is that the actual reasoning?

Heres a link to VAC's just the facts page......http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub.cfm?source=department/facts-fait/lump-sum-disability

The bottom line says..        "The Lump Sum Disability Award is a tax-free payment of up to $276,080, based on the extent of the disability. Veterans are counselled about the importance of getting independent financial advice, the cost of which may be covered by Veterans Affairs Canada."

As a side note...I just registered on VAC's " My VAC account" and for the people who think the lump sum disability award is all you get...... I see :

War Veterans Allowance
Temporary Earnings Loss Benefit
Extended Earnings Loss Benefit

Supplementary Retirement Benefit
Canadian Forces Income Support
        Permanent impairment allowance

Now, I'm only new to the system, and I don't know how it all works but there seems to be more than just a lump sum payout.

War Veterans Allowance 
  Temporary Earnings Loss Benefit 
  Extended Earnings Loss Benefit 

Supplementary Retirement Benefit 
  Canadian Forces Income Support     
        Permanent impairment allowance

This is sort of what I was getting at. I'm wondering if there is some kind of monthly allowance for individuals who are permanently disabled (i.e. the loss of limbs) on top of the max payout. It just seems really screwed up that a troop could lose an arm or a leg, get a years salary payed out, and a kick on the ass.

not that I'm aware. Listen I've said it a few times to get that max payout you have to be severly messed up. I'm talking multiple limbs missing etc. Now if you managed to keep your legs although they are held together with plates and screws.Where you wake up in pain everyday, cant run ruck,walk more than 500m. Your looking at 10% pension payout. No monthly payment, dont pass Go or collect 200 bucks.

I'll look into the other benifits however IIRC War Vet allowance is a past thing I.E WW1-2.

I will look into the other benifits you listed when I get the time, but from personal experience with my buddies who got it worse than me:

Med release
10 yrs or less return of contibutions
10 or more 10% for ten years and 2% for each year after.

And your cash payout from VAC.

There is no monthly pension for those that fall under the New Veterans Charter.

I agree, that this is totally f**ked up.

I only have a few years of military service left. Once I retire (again) I can start criticizing government policy. This will be one of the first if it has not changed.

dogger1936 said:
Med release
10 yrs or less return of contibutions
10 or more 10% for ten years and 2% for each year after.

If you're talking about Canadian Forces Superannuation Act Benefits (CFSA), and it appears that you are, this is not quite correct.  The formula is 2% x every year of service x average of best five years of salary.  So, someone with 14 years service would get 28% of the average of his/her best five years.  This is the same for all releases (save disciplinary).  The key difference between a medical release and a voluntary release is that pensions on medical releases are indexed right away, whereas other released members may have to wait for indexing to kick in (depends on age, years of service and other factors).

In addition, the qualifying period for CFSA part I (Regular Force and some long-full-time service Reservists) is now 2 years, vice ten.

Back